SCF08

quote:We are close, a few players are done really well

And look where two of them have played:

Atiba Hutchinson

2002 York - Region Shooters

2002–03 - Toronto Lynx

Dwayne De Rosario

1997 - Toronto Lynx

I would rather JDG2 be as good as Hutchinson and play with Canada, then be as good as he is now and play with Holland.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by brandon

well lets just say they got their start at those teams Jamit. it sure as hell wasn't the Lynx that developed those two into the players they are today

True but they got their all-important start in Canada...

-Hargreaves was 16 when he moved from Calgary Foothills FC to Bayern Munich.

-Lensky was also 16 (or maybe 15?) when he moved to Celtic.

-Vitoria was 17 when he moved from the NTC Ontario to FC Porto.

My point is these Canadian kids don't moved to Celtic, Porto or Bayern Munich respectivly without some serious skills. Skills learned in Canada playing against other Canadians!

Obviously Hargreaves is the worst case, since he hadn't even stepped foot in England before playing for their nation team (Fernandes is pretty bad, too), but I think all of Lensky, Street, Vitoria, DeGuzman, and yes even DeJong (in our program since like 16...scored for us at the WYC) would be pretty bad to not play for Canada.

JDG2 is not yet a Dutch citizen, but should be within one year.

Also, the Whore had been to England on trips, I believe.

Anyways, like I said, what we can do is wait and see. The first step would be to give more than $5m as budget for ALL OUR NATIONAL TEAMS (there are 7 + the men's Olympic team) and hire a credible, serious coach.

We need someone with some serious money to step forward like the Aussie billionaire, take over this ridiculous program, and push some money. Thats obviously the only way these greedy kids will bother putting on a Canadian jersey. Its really an embarassment that someone can rep us at a WYC, then bail for a better country. I hope we face the Dutch one day.

quote:Originally posted by lefoot

I hope we face the Dutch one day.

2010, in the Final.;)

But your point about the needing "someone with some serious money" I think is wrong. What we need is more large companys such as Sony and MLSE to get behind Soccer in Canada. That would mean more money in the CSA and more Canadian teams for Canadians to play in.

There is nothing is this country that gives them the vehicle to show their talents. Yes Canada has those talents and also yes,the media has never accepted soccer as a major sport in Canada. It only makes sense that these kids go somewhere else,there simply is no interest at all among the average Canadian.Call them whores or whatever it is all there to see. Once we have that racoon media turned around than our gifted kids have a change to play for those large crowds. Now forget it,it's not North American and an emmigrant sport.

I can't wait for the day when these effen idiots smarten up and realize that there is a world beyond that baseball, and football or even basketball.

I really don't know what got into the media boys to treat soccer as a minority and even worse.

I really prey that Toronto F.C will break that bastion of resentment suspision and even looked upon as a threat.You guys have read this stuff before but as i have said so many times our lives are all about our kids, we demand the best and sofar the media has stopped this from happening.Once the media thing is happening than the marketing guys will join that bandwagon and our kids will stay in Canada I believe and nothing else and will only dream about representing Canada on the highest levels.

• 4 weeks later...

Jacob Lensky transfer has been confirmed on the official website of Feyenoord..

http://www.feyenoord.nl/pages/newsdetail.aspx?contentcode=20070102JACOB_LENSKY

He will go straight in the 1st team despite turning 18 years old just a week a go. He will go into a training camp with Feyenoord in Turkey and they will play in the Efes Pfilsen Cup.

If anyone of you are living in Europe...You can watch the Efes Cup live on Eurosport and both matches of Feyenoord will be broadcasted live. On Tuesday Feyenoord will play against Galatasaray and Lensky will no doubt get some minutes just as Jonathan de Guzman...

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Uefa also took notice of the transfer.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/news/kind=1/newsid=494117.html

They call him a Canadian in the article. Hopefully he feels Canadian as well, at least as far as playing for the U20 team is concerned.

I would love to see this story get some media attention here at home. The amount of attention David Edgar got this week shows that there is some willingness in the mainstream media to promote young Canadian footballers. Maybe JohnTV can get his media contacts to at least make mention of Lensky's move to Feyenoord and that he will be starting alongside another young Canuck.

In the circles I run in, there are more and more people paying attention to this great game. I really feel some momentum is building.

Nice to see the UEFA Cup fixture against 'Spurs mentioned. Possibly three Canadians playing in the later stages of a major European tourny. When has that ever happened? There's a wee story for the main-stream media.

Anyway, good for Lensky. If it's true that he'll step into the Feyenoord 1st team then that's great news. If he can stick with the 1st team for the remainder of the season it would go a long way in showing that maybe he'd gotten a bit buried in the Celtic youth program.

But Bertuzzi44 has hit the bullseye. These are teenage players who've joining elite development programs in Europe and managing it by out doing teenage players from around the world.

And they haven't managing it just because of raw athletic ability. Thousands and thousands of kids with raw athletic ability are turned down by these youth programs every year. They've managed it because somewhere along the way, for all it's shortcomings and limits apparently Canadian football has done them some good. Has given them some foundation the youth trainers with Celtic or Feyenoord or Newcastle or whoever thought was enough to put them over and above just raw athletic ability. To make them players worth investing in.

And that's got to be worth something. No?

I will speak to Bobby Deguzman and find out what Jonathan has to say.Hey Bobby I will be calling you tomorrow.

It is so amazing and so much fun that Canadian soccer is doing so well abroad,just about a fantasy come through and hey it will happen here one day,promise.

I am having a ball this year already and TFC or the u20 have not even started yet.

I also truly believe that there is something very special about the Canadian character,hey it may very well that raw hockey stuff that must do something to your phsycy and level of determination. I have seen this many times in the Robbie that Canadian thing.

I remember one game were there was this 16 year old German youth team

I forgot the name of our team,but I knew this team as being very tough and also very fast. They ran the Germans of the field and would you believe that they also walked of the field,could not handle our Canadian kids.

Seen many other examples and that's why i believe so much in our guys,because I saw it.In the beginning I had some very strong misgivings about the Canadian skill level but after seing Dero killing my team I realized that we do have very skilled players, just not the coaching level that would satisfy these guys.

So maybe give some credit to hockey.

Canadians have a reputation of being very tough in Europe,first ww one and two and than that hockey thing.We as Dutch guys always were aware that in hockey the Canadians fight and we believed that these guys were very tough.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

They call him a Canadian in the article. Hopefully he feels Canadian as well, at least as far as playing for the U20 team is concerned.

I would love to see this story get some media attention here at home. The amount of attention David Edgar got this week shows that there is some willingness in the mainstream media to promote young Canadian footballers. Maybe JohnTV can get his media contacts to at least make mention of Lensky's move to Feyenoord and that he will be starting alongside another young Canuck.

In the circles I run in, there are more and more people paying attention to this great game. I really feel some momentum is building.

Yap I will do my thing and keep that momentum in the media going,Lensky who,well another story board is developing and if he scores the winning goal,wow this board will go really nuts,it's fum

Hey Jacob if you read this which I doubt don't worry if you don't score the winning or tying goal,but if you do our hearts could not take it.

Seeing all that development happening and it seems that our guys have a very good pulse as to what is going on therefore I would like to recommend that we should consider issuing a media release from the Voyageurs alerting the media as to what is happening.I am not volunteering at all and just recommending.I don't know if anybody is interested in devoting some time to this and I guess the detail could be a bit of a problem as well as the guidelines but still we seem to know so much and as far as i am concerned as well as the build up of TFC, the media will be looking for some good Canadian stories now.

I always thought that that listing of all our players abroad should be sent to the media once it is published on the board.Even if you feel you have a good story ,maybe it should be showing a reference that it was also sent to the various media outlets and to specific individuals.Maybe we should put a media e-mail list together as well as local phone numbers.Hey we may even use it to complain if they don't do a good job.

Just toss it around.

Hey mods,could you please transfer this to the correct area. I reeally think that we could represent the voice of Canadian soccer around the world.Our kids deserve this and we need it as well. Let's start a discussion about our potenrial powers. Some of you may know a little about me but I only go for the best.We are in a time period were Canadian soccer is hitting the world headlines and we must must be there to support whatever our boys are doing. Hey I am sure they are extremely proud Canadians and let's enjoy their succes and more importanlty give them that motivation and challenge and foremost recognition.

Case in point when the variuous stories appeared about Jonathan the Dutch media and feyenoord picked up on this. They in fact made a big deal out of it. This is what our guys need and deserve. Hey we may even motivate them into a world cup one day. It is possible,I know.

Bit of a topic jacking but what the Hell.

No real discussion about Voyageur evolution just now, john tv. It's come up in the past and will come up again, ie is anyone interested in moving beyond this on-line "pub talk" we currently have. But personaly I'm finding myself in agreement with much of your last post there. Even if my expectations are lower than yours I think we could actually do something more with what we've got (if you follow) and many people outside of our little circle would benefit greatly because of it.

Players and fans alike.

But let it rest a bit. We're sort of going through a wee evolution right now so lets stick to baby steps. Remember, this is a voluteer army.

It's a bit of a joke that the CSA wouldn't see it as part of their role to promote Canadian soccer players who do great things.

However, if they aren't going to do it, someone needs to, if for no other reason but to let the young Canucks know that someone cares about their achievements.

Long story short, I would be willing to be part of a PR team. I have some background in it thanks to my 9to5.

VPjr,I have no say so on this thing,I guess we have the invincable force in control,sort of a weird set up,without really criticizing it,since it seems to work, without any face ,title or designation or even voting rights,just pure simple,no rights or structure ,just a voice.Again it works since everyone can express their opinion,but not be a representative of any sort.It is a new thing.I also believe that the invincable force probably has no clue at all about organization and strucutures,which maybe is the beaty of the beast,since it works without established procedures. So making it as complicated as I can,maybe it is not that bad. Or who decides who who checks etc. So this can of worms is big and I could see certain guys taking great exception to any statemnt or media release and again knowing some of them,these argumentative bunch will never agree,long live democrazy.

So if the invinceble powers will come up with some acceptable guide lines and within allow you to promote our guys I am in favour of this. Just tell the whole effen world how great so and so is or are even better.So go at it and I suppose what you will need is a media list,primarely a e-mail list and everytime a news item hits the board you could disect it and issue that release under the voyageurs name,just make sure that we all get to read it and make sure the facts are correct.As far as the facts are concerned a pipeline of information even coming from the other media,those that write about our guys would be fantastic or even better a direct pipeline with these guys although this maybe a pipedream yet never tested or tried,who knows and they may even have pr guys with all the proper facts.

Hey I think it is neccasary and who knows maybe those jokers want to join the bandwagon moreso after the Edgar story.They know how much interest there is in soccer and hey numbers still talk.

You have my support and invincable vote and even help with some media people and contacts I know.

Tonight the 1st game of Feyenoord will be broadcasted by Eurosport at 22:45. So a great chance for European Canucks to watch Jonathan de Guzman and Jacob Lensky play. Feyenoord are putting out a B-Team against Galatasaray so Jacob Lensky is guaranteed some minutes...

I can tell you the line-up later...

Here is the Feyenoord line-up...

Ekramy

Greene, Adalberto Neto, Bahia, Drenthe

Buijs, Derijck, Lensky, Pardo

Vincken, Van Hooijdonk

Lensky is in the starting 11 ! Greene , Bahia , Drenthe and Buijs are the only regular 1st team players in this line-up....De Guzman is on the bench

Click on link below to see the match...I'm not sure if it works but the game starts in 5 minutes..

EDIT

This 1 works...!!

mms://80.67.87.84/D/1729/21686/v0001/reflector:41354

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Holy sh!t, was that Lensky getting flares thrown at him from the stands!?

That was Sebastian Pardo...:( Damn Turks..

Feyenoord is 1-0 up..!! Van Hooijdonk with a shot from 40 metres in the centre circle..:D

Archived