Jacob Lensky to Feyenoord.

SCF08

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lensky has played for Canada, here are the details:

On April 13th, 2006 Lensky play 90min versus China in a 0-0 draw. Three days later he was an unused sub in the game against Norway, a 1-1 draw.

Then a couple days later he again went 90mins, this time against Portugal, who won 1-0.

Lensky sounds very promising, hopefully he'll be in our midfield come next summer.

Lensky has played for Canada, here are the details:

On April 13th, 2006 Lensky play 90min versus China in a 0-0 draw. Three days later he was an unused sub in the game against Norway, a 1-1 draw.

Then a couple days later he again went 90mins, this time against Portugal, who won 1-0.

Lensky sounds very promising, hopefully he'll be in our midfield come next summer.

We know that he played in the Porto tournament but he was called for the Brazil games and refuse saying that it had been a long season with Celtic (fair enough) and it was reported here that he was called for some games this fall and declined. Here's a post by masster about a discussion he had with Mitchell:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10497&SearchTerms=lensky

masster

North Vancouver

Canada

172 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 : 20:46:29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke with Dale Mitchell and he said this will be the team's last get together of the year. Its the last back to back international dates on the calender which is the best time to get the European based players together plus the college players aren't available to them right now.

He mentioned that he had invited Lensky to both this series and the one against Brazil but Jacob has turned them down. When I asked if Lensky had a second passport, he indicated that he is eligable for the Czechs and joked that the way things are going he could even suit up against them.

He said he was disappointed in De Jong's decision to play for Holland and doesn't like the rule that allows a player to switch after making a decision to play for a certain country.

From talking to Dale both now and in the past, it is my opinion that the only way JDG2 and Lensky will play for Canada in the future is if their other countries don't want them.

If de Guzman screws over Canada it will be a serious shame on our national pride. He is worse than Hargreaves in that he has no family connection to the Dutch. Canada offered his family a life, in fast his parents would never have met if it wasn't for our country. I want each city to set up a sort of propganda committee for the u-20 world cup, to fill the seats with Canadian supporters, give away red t shirts, whatever it takes. The same is done in every other country during every other big tourney!

Too bad Parizeau is retired, as he would be ideal to lead up this group. I suggest black shirts though. More appropriate than red. Let's teach these immigrants and their offspring how to behave!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Yes, but that was before other options began to emerge.

I remember reading back in the day, just prior to his move to Celtic I believe, that he always had plans to play for the Czech national team. It seems like for awhile now that if he was given the opportunity he would jump at it. That was why I was surprised to see him playing for us in Portugal.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Too bad Parizeau is retired, as he would be ideal to lead up this group. I suggest black shirts though. More appropriate than red. Let's teach these immigrants and their offspring how to behave!!!!

You're sarcastic right, herr Ed? ;)

I am being somewhat sarcastic to a certain degree, regarding the idea of propoganda etc., but if you don't think that a world cup is a clear opportunity at nationalism and self promotion, please wake up. All I am saying is I wish people would come here and respect what this country is all about. And playing for us, then bouncing off to another country because they are a better team, that really sucks. I hope this kid sticks with us, but as with de guzman, he will probably bail for the higher ranked nation. And the Dutch owe us big time!!!

Is it for sure that Dejong has committed and the dutch have committed to him(no chance for Canada)? If lensky wants to play for the czechs he better be really good because they have quality players. This is ridiculous Canada can't hold on to any of its bright prospects. If we lose De Jong, Deguz and this kid thats a lot of talent defecting. The one that annoys me the most is Dejong if he does leave, this kid was in the Canadian system for a while and even played at the ywc.

The DeJong case is the most frustrating because of the fact he was in the system for so long and played a lot of qualifiers and even U-20 WYC games but in a certain way it is the most understandable situation.

The kid was invited by anada since he's born here from dutch parents and lived here for a while (2-3 yrs I think) and then went back to Holland. So he decides to come here and play for our U-17 and later moving to the U-2o's.

This year the unexpected happen, Holland is interested in him and I can understand his change of heart, he's lived in Holland for 15 years and he's dutch, not canadian. The only reason why he canplay for us is because he's born here. I have more simpathy for him than guys like Hargreaves, Fernandes and Strret who haven't lived in England or Portugal for that long.

Yes, it's frustrating because he took a place in our system for so long but at that time when he accepted the call I think he did it with good faith and intention. Now, the system has flaws and he has the chance to play for his country and he might take that chance. I hope he doesn't and plays for us but I will not be mad at him he choose Holland.

Sorry for the rant.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Thanks, but do you know if he wants to play for Canada? It's been reported that he refused a call up from Dale Mitchell for the Belgium or Czech serie.

Just great.[xx(] I have said it before, Canadians should stay in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by lefoot

If de Guzman screws over Canada it will be a serious shame on our national pride. He is worse than Hargreaves in that he has no family connection to the Dutch. Canada offered his family a life, in fast his parents would never have met if it wasn't for our country. I want each city to set up a sort of propganda committee for the u-20 world cup, to fill the seats with Canadian supporters, give away red t shirts, whatever it takes. The same is done in every other country during every other big tourney!

I disagree. In De Guzman's case, he makes Holland his home, and has done so for sometime. How old was he when he moved over there? Hargreaves was more German than he is English, having grown up in Munich from 16.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I disagree. In De Guzman's case, he makes Holland his home, and has done so for sometime. How old was he when he moved over there? Hargreaves was more German than he is English, having grown up in Munich from 16.

The problem I see with JDG2 is the principles, it will become to easy for the europeans countries to snap players like that by bringing them at a young age to one of their clubs youth systems. I'm not saying the FA's will look for that but if some Jamaican kids in Heerenveen youth system is an interesting prospect Holland will try to get him, and I'm not sure it's OK.

At this point, it's legal to do it but FIFA should do something about it.

Just because a kid moves to Holland at 12 does not make him Dutch. If he had moved to Germany or England or Finland or Ghana would that make him more one of these nations than Canadian? Nope. The kid is Canadian. You ask a Russian hockey player who comes here as a kid who he would want to represent. You ask a Slovakian hockey player (Slovakia sucks compared to Canada) who he wants to play with. The realities are kids are being coaxed by dollars and its a bit pathetic. I just wish one of these young stars would step forward and add some VISION to the forward movement of the Canadian team. They could be the Canadian hero our national team is dying for.

Russian and Slovak hockey players come here once they're 16-17 years old and they've grown up / come of age (as kids and teenagers) in their native country.

JDG2 has lived in Holland for 8 years, and if you take out the first 4-years of his life, spent as long in Canada. He's grown up as a teen and a young man in Holland, speaks the language fluently and will soon be a citizen.

There are many players over the course of our NT history that have been less "Canadian" than JDG2 is Dutch.

I think it would be a sad, sad day if he shuns Canada for the Oranje, but I won't reserve to him the treatment I would to the Whore.

Of course, I'm the first to hope we'll one day see a 4-man mid composed of JDG, JDG2, Atiba and Peters. That would be something else.

Daniel, JDG2 he is not a citizen of Holland. He is a citizen of Canada. He has enjoyed the benefits of traveling, living, and existing as a Canadian citizen. With the Canadian passport. Nationality shoudn't have similar application standards as a Costco card. He is NOT I repeat not Dutch. A Slovak hockey player who would come here at 12 would still feel commitment to his home country. And Canada would not try to poach him. Hargreaves is not better or worse, he was just able to cling to his distant attachment to England through his parents, and we let it go because of the old Canada colony attachment issues. As I said, I am still waiting for a shining star superstar to emerge that is Canadian. So Canadian youth can watch a proud national team member suit up at a super club. We are close, a few players are done really well, but we really need that marketable kid who is totally commited, and isn't just drolling over a Nike contract.

Archived