What does "bringing the game into disrepute mean?

manutd1

I was wondering if anyone can give me examples of what "bringing the game into disrepute" would constitute? For instance, would quitting as a youth soccer coach be enough to "bring the game into disrepute" and be banned for it? I have searched the internet, but I still can't get a straight read on the subject. Thanks for any insights you can bring.

Well now, I suppose the fashion in which the coach announced his resignation could. But only if he handled it properly;).

It's an interesting piece of trivia that the broad and wide ranging phrase "bringing the game into disrepute" replaced an origional term in the Laws of Football, "being a dink" many, many years ago. With the increasing global popularity of football, it was found the origional "being a dink" translated poorly into many Asian languages and was thus dropped.

The term is quite deliberately vague and ill-defined, thus giving the governing bodies considerable discretion and leeway in its application which overall is probably a good thing. Most of the Laws of the Game as an example, rely on the subjective opinion of the referee rather than trying explicitly to cover every contingency.

I suggest most of us would be able to decide from the manner in which a youth coach quit and his/her behaviour, whether or not same brought the game into disrepute. Common sense mostly.

Well say they informed their club and their district that they no longer wished to coach the team due to conflicts with parents, and informed the players and parents that they were leaving? Can that reasonably be said to bring the game into disrepute? Its just that I've read things like using bad language, racial slurs (Ken Bates), bibery etc. would bring such a charge. It would just would seem kind of harsh that a volunteer can't leave without that charge being levelled at them.

quote:Originally posted by manutd1

Well say they informed their club and their district that they no longer wished to coach the team due to conflicts with parents, and informed the players and parents that they were leaving? Can that reasonably be said to bring the game into disrepute? Its just that I've read things like using bad language, racial slurs (Ken Bates), bibery etc. would bring such a charge. It would just would seem kind of harsh that a volunteer can't leave without that charge being levelled at them.

Depends entirely on the manner in which it was done by said volunteer. If it was a discreet and polite resignation accompanied by a reasoned, calm explanation confined to just the facts if he/she so wished, not a problem But if it was angry, full of bluster or public badmouthing of people and organisations and/or foul language then I would say the charges would be justified. Just storming out and saying "I quit" whilst poor form, would not in my opinion justify such charges.

Like referees decisions, it becomes a judgement call.

I hear you on that one; there is always two sides, but don't worry you to make a final judgement in this case ;) The thing is though that I saw the judgement in the case, and it basically said that by not getting the club involved in a dispute resolution process with parents, and instead by notifying all parties that they were quitting, this brought the game into "disrepute." The charge in a nutshell was quitting before asking for help. Now that kinda surprised me, since I thought as a volunteer in soccer you could leave anytime you wished problem or no problem. But like someone said, the rule is so vague, it could mean almost anything, thats why I wanted to ask the soccer folk on here. Thanks for all insights btw, I appreciate it.

Maybe running with it a bit, but in the broader sense of bringing the game into disrepute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/5314292.stm

So who's bringing the game into disrepute here? Gallas if it's true, or Chelsea (as Gallas claims) if it's not?

This is going to get real big. The FA has to get involved now, even if the parties concearned kiss and make up. Get some popcorn and stay tuned.

Although it was American football, I would think the youth football coach in the clip they played on Sportscentre last night would qualify. Upset at one of his players getting blocked late, the coach ran across the field to blindside the offending (12 year-old) player. The coach then kept running, over a fence and down the street. He later turned himself in to police.

If I could access it from here, I'd look for it on Youtube. Although a different sport, I think this would be the dictionary definition of "bringing the game into disrepute".

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Although it was American football, I would think the youth football coach in the clip they played on Sportscentre last night would qualify. Upset at one of his players getting blocked late, the coach ran across the field to blindside the offending (12 year-old) player. The coach then kept running, over a fence and down the street. He later turned himself in to police.

Here's the Youtube Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6ImZy0TFA

Although a different sport, I think this would be the dictionary definition of "bringing the game into disrepute".

Archived