Canada v Jamaica [R]

matthew

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Very poor form on the Impact's part not to promote the game. There is also nothing on their website. I for one am quite disappointed in the Impact in this regard.

With what we saw from the Edmonton U-20 comite, I think we can assume that we're having a little bit of a unity problem here. Everyone is looking at their own interest and not ready to help each other.

I hope we'll get at least 7 000 for that game.

The Impact get 10-13K per game because the Montreal people know that's a winning team and the Impact organisation have worked trying to build a fan base, but that take a few years. I'm under the impression that our MNT isn't perceive as a very good team in the general public and the inability of the media to educate them about this team will cost us a few thousands fans.

The article says that the CSA is to blame for the fact that this team is unknown to the Montreal public (11 yrs without a game). While I agree that we should blame the CSA for the lack of games, the MTL medias are also be blame for the way they're covering this event (Grizzly's examples, Marley and ignoring our Premiership, Dutch Eredivisie and Bundesliga players).

I think regardless of whatever problems one has with the leadership of the CSA, when the national team comes to play in your stadium you promote it especially when you are one of the organizations selling tickets. Even more disturbing is the fact the Impact are doing this despite having three of their own players selected for this squad. Yet not even an interview on their website with any of these players similar to the RDS one. This has certainly lowered my opinion of the Impact and Saputo. Although they have done well in getting crowds for their games it also has to be stated that between 3000 to 5000 tickets per game are given away and that while crowds are still decent the actual crowd is usually a couple of thousand lower than the announced figure. Impact ticket prices are also quite low.

The problem with attendance is largely due to two factors: most people don't know about the game and most people don't know we have the quality of players that we have. Some of this is the fault of the CSA but they certainly should expect a better performance from their partners in presenting the match. Without Bob Marley the match may have not gotten any media coverage at all. I am happy that the local CTV at least gave some coverage to the match but why was it less than half the time given to a story about some American NFL players?

Edit: I stand corrected the Impact did do a small story on their players playing in the game though you sure have to search their site to find it.

That is a shame and Montreal will have a bad attendance and it isn't the 1st time. The Expos, the Alouettes before they started playing at Percival Stadium. And the Canada-Brazil match, in 99, I think but I could be wrong. Reading this forum helps me to know what is happening right now with the NTs. Gabe Gervais said to RDS that people here don't know Team Canada.. The media just don't care, but they should because after, there'll be less MNT soccer games and after soccer fans will whine that Toronto, Edmonton & Vancouver will get all games and they have to travel to see those games.

They could have said something about the players that will be there and the CSA brought a very good team and people don't know that. It looked like Ziggy Marley was more important than Diesel for the MNT.

I'll be there with 3 buddies for the game and I will have fun. If Canada wins, they will go up the FIFA rankings really fast.

Reggae Boyz hunt well-needed win against Canada

published: Monday | September 4, 2006

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Lamey ... expected to start up front with Teafore Bennet. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer.

The Reggae Boyz will go for their first win since reaching the quarter-final round of last summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup when they take on Canada in a 3:00 p.m. friendly at the Complexe Sportif Claude Robillard in Montreal, Canada today.

The road has been a rocky one lately for the team which captured the attention of the world when it qualified for the 1998 World Cup.

With exception of a 1-1 draw with the United States in April, Jamaica have tumbled to embarrassing defeats in all their other recent friendlies. The Boyz, ranked 74th in the latest FIFA world rankings, went down 5-0 to Australia in October, 4-1 to Ghana in May and most recently were on the wrong end of a 6-0 pounding by World Cup quarter-finalist England in June at the Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester.

Turn Jamaica's fortunes around

Interim coach Carl Brown is expected to have a tough task if this game will turn Jamaica's fortunes around because the line-up which Jamaica will field for this international will lack potency. Eleven of the 18 players that will take part in the encounter are not only local based, but, with the exception of Jermaine Taylor, lack a great deal of international experience. This has been due to the fact that several players have had to be left out of the squad due to injury or club commitments. They include Jamaican captain Ricardo Gardener, Claude Davis, Luton Shelton, Jermaine Hue, Ricardo Fuller, Jason Euell and goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.

However, the team's chances of doing well should be helped by the fact that the Canadian team, currently 82nd in the latest FIFA rankings, are also rebuilding under interim coach Stephen Hart and will not have their full complement of players either. But the Canadian line-up, though not full strength, will boast more experienced players than Jamaica as Tomasz Radzinski (Fulham, England) Julian de Guzman (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain), Paul Stalteri (Tottenham, England), and Josh Simpson (Kaiserslauten, Germany) are all available for the encounter.

Against Canada, Jamaica has a record of five losses, three draws and one win. In their last encounter on September 2, 1999 in Toronto, Canada won the friendly 1-0. The Canucks are unbeaten in their last three friendlies.

The teams will clash in a return leg on October 8 at the National Stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Blackdude

That is a shame and Montreal will have a bad attendance and it isn't the 1st time. The Expos, the Alouettes before they started playing at Percival Stadium. And the Canada-Brazil match, in 99, I think but I could be wrong. Reading this forum helps me to know what is happening right now with the NTs. Gabe Gervais said to RDS that people here don't know Team Canada.. The media just don't care, but they should because after, there'll be less MNT soccer games and after soccer fans will whine that Toronto, Edmonton & Vancouver will get all games and they have to travel to see those games.

They could have said something about the players that will be there and the CSA brought a very good team and people don't know that. It looked like Ziggy Marley was more important than Diesel for the MNT.

While I agree that the coverage is appaling, I have to disagree with the attendance criticism, which has a lot to do with extraneous factors. And 12k showed up for the Brazil game in 2003...

Guest irishwhisper

Is there anywhere on the internet to watch this match?? Do yas really think Canada will win, if confidence is real high I'll be putting a bet on Canada to win tonight

Canada faces test against Jamaica

Soccer friendly set for Monday. Match will allow our country's young stars to show their stuff for interim coach Hart

PAT HICKEY, The Gazette

Published: Saturday, September 02, 2006

When Canada meets Jamaica in an international soccer game Monday afternoon at Centre Claude Robillard, it will be a chance for some of the country's best young soccer players to show what they can do.

It is also an opportunity for coach Stephen Hart to establish his credentials.

Hart is the interim head coach, taking over after the popular - and successful - Frank Yallop, who resigned in July to accept the head coaching job with the Los Angeles Galaxy in the MLS.

Hart is aware of his status and the fact there is some time before Canada has to select a roster to begin the qualifying process for the 2010 World Cup.

"There's no long-term plan here," Hart said. "I'm planning to use the next three games (Canada plays a return match in Jamaica next month and will face an unnamed European opponent in November) to give as many players as possible a chance to represent their country."

Hart, who was coach of Canada's Under-17 team, said the games will also help him evaluate his status. If he feels comfortable in the position, he'll apply to become the permanent head coach.

Monday's game will provide Canada with a measuring stick. The team was undefeated in its last three friendlies under Yallop, beating Luxembourg 1-0, playing a 0-0 draw against the United States and, most recently, beating Austria 2-0 in March.

Jamaica offers Canada a pair of games between two evenly matched CONCACAF rivals. Jamaica, which is also going through a coaching change, is No. 72 in the FIFA world rankings, while Canada is No. 82.

"Jamaica can be very good, especially at home," Hart said. "We're not sure what style they'll be playing because they also have an interim coach, but I'm looking forward to an exciting game."

Hart has selected a team which features a balance between youngsters and experienced players like Tottenham's Paul Stalteri, who will be making his 51st appearance for Canada.

"We want to look at some of the younger players, but we've also managed to bring in some of the players from Europe that fans see on TV," Hart said. "We don't play a lot of games in Eastern Canada and we want to give the fans some names they know."

There are three players from the Impact on the roster - goalkeeper Greg Sutton, and defenders Gabriel Gervais and Adam Braz. Former Impact players Sandro Grande and Patrice Bernier are here from Norway as is Brossard's Olivier Occean.

The Canadian roster includes six players who play in Norway and Grande said the national team assignment is a welcome respite from the Norwegian league.

"It's very physical with a lot of hard tackling," Grande said. "It doesn't suit my style, but you go where you can get ahead in this game."

The Impact players haven't had time to prepare with their teammates because they played in Portland Thursday night. They missed a mini-camp in Ottawa earlier this week and the first of three workouts at Claude Robillard yesterday.

Quebec soccer officials are hoping for a good crowd, but the turnout is likely to be less than the 13,000-fan sellouts for Impact games.

Michel Dugas of the Quebec Soccer Federation said the timing of the game was a problem because there are two major youth tournaments this weekend and many youngsters - and their parents - will be unable to attend. As of yesterday, about 4,000 tickets had been sold.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006

quote:Originally posted by irishwhisper

Is there anywhere on the internet to watch this match?? Do yas really think Canada will win, if confidence is real high I'll be putting a bet on Canada to win tonight

After seeing their practice, I would bet a win for our boys.

Unfortunately, it's raining right now in Montreal so field conditions

could affect the game. But the team looks very good and match-fit.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Reggae Boyz face Canadian test today

BROWN... guides the Boyz for the first time since his reappointment as interim head coach

Montreal, Canada - After many hiccups on their way here, Jamaica's Reggae Boyz will test their mettle yet again when they face Canada at the Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard in an international friendly today at 4:00 pm (3:00 pm local time).

Anticipation of a large turnout for both teams is high, as international football returns to Montreal for the first time since 1995.

And there has been plenty of hype towards the build-up of this game, according to the locals here, as six players on Canada's roster have Montreal connections.

Unfortunately, interim head coach Carl Brown will field a weakened team, but therein lies the opportunity for those available to make a bold statement on the pitch and cement themselves in the squad.

The Boyz had their first and only training session yesterday afternoon in chilly temperatures of approximately 10 degrees Celsius - and similar conditions are expected for today.

During Brown's one-hour work-out, the likely starting 11 had Shawn Sawyers in goal, with the English-based Damion Stewart, along with Oneil Thompson and Jermaine Taylor marshalling central defence, with left-back Garfield Reid and captain Fabian Davis occupying the right wing back position, to complete the back-five.

Khari Stephenson played in his usual holding midfield position, with Demar Phillips and Jamal Campbell-Ryce rounding off the trio in midfield, as Kevin Lamey and Teafore Bennett pairing up front.

Fabian Dawkins, who came in yesterday morning, started with the reserves, while Omar Daley missed his original flight and arrived at three o'clock yesterday.

Jamaica are yet to taste victory in recent friendlies, after two heavy defeats (4-1 and 6-0) to World Cup teams Ghana and England, respectively. The Boyz are eager to turn things around.

Having said that, the Canadians are equally or perhaps more keen to maintain their good record, as they have been unbeaten in their last three friendly games.

Since November 16, 2005, the Canucks have recorded a 1-0 win over Luxembourg, drew 0-0 with the United States in San Diego, and defeated Austria 2-0 away in Vienna.

Moreso, the host will have a stronger line-up on paper, with Fulham striker Tomasz Radzinski and midfielder Paul Stalteri from Tottenham Hotspur, who will be having his 51st cap for his country.

After 11 encounters, both teams have won five, while drawing once.

In the last meeting between the two, played on September 2, 1999 in Toronto, Canada won the friendly 1-0.

Like Jamaica, the Canadian soccer team is in the hands of Stephen Hart, who is acting in an interim capacity.

The Canadians are in a rebuilding mode as well and their players too, would be hoping to impress their coaching staff.

Coach Brown has been emphasising the importance of the team chemistry on the field during play. And his view remains the same when the Observer caught up with him at the team's hotel yesterday.

Said Brown. 'I have told the players that there are two things that they really need to emphasise in the game: One is defending when we lose possession and, two is to attack when we have possession. And once you get the team in that sort of frame of mind, the football discipline chips in and people react naturally to having possession and not having possession.

'It makes it so easy on the field if every player understands that role. That this is what I need to be doing now and I need to be defending this goal, I need to be trying as much as I can to prevent the opponent from scoring.

'So it is important to emphasise and for players to understand.'

One can expect a friendly rivalry between these teams, but one should also expect a fierce battle, because both teams want to start their build-up towards the 2010 World Cup on a winning note.

Starting team (probable): Shawn Sawyers, Demar Phillips, Damion Stewart, Fabian Davis, Jermaine Taylor, Oneil Thompson, Teafore Bennett, Kevin Lamey, Khari Stephenson, Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Garfield Reid.

Reserves: Richard McCallum, Desmond Breakenridge, Lovel Palmer, Xavian Virgo, Fabian Dawkins, Omar Daley, Jason Morrison, Tyrone Sawyers.

By Andre Hancel - Observer Reporter in Montreal

Copyright© 2000-2001 Jamaica Observer

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Hart is the interim head coach, taking over after the popular - and successful - Frank Yallop, who resigned in July to accept the head coaching job with the Los Angeles Galaxy in the MLS.

How anyone can make this claim is beyond me. One victory against Austria does not erase a reign that was a total failure and which showed both incompetence and impropriety. Successful is not finishing last in a qualifying group after playing your mates and not making the Hex. Even the heralded last 3 matches contained an absolutely dreadful performamce against Luxembourg and a B-friendly. Frank showed his loyalty and character by bolting for LA. I for one am very happy Frank is not leading us into the next WCQ though I certainly hope we get someone far more qualified and respected than Stephen Hart.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

How anyone can make this claim is beyond me.

Just to interupt for a momment; Yeah, read that and just sat blinking for a momment. Popular, for the most part I'd say sure. As popular as a coach could be I suppose. There are always detractors aren't there? But successful?

Successful at what? Based on what evidence?

Two official competitions in which we advanced in neither. And one of those was the Gold Cup!

Man, this whole successful coach thing is becoming a Canadian soccer urban myth.

Anyway, had to get that off my chest. And I should mention "GRIZZLY STARTED IT!"

Returning you to your regularily scheduled topic..

Guest irishwhisper
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

William Hill have Canada at 1.83 to win, draw at 3.20 and a Jamaica win at 3.75. [8)]

I have an account with Paddy Power and they have Canada at 1.91. Cheers redhat but will Canada not be more used to rain than Jamaica?? Im sure it wont make a big difference anyway. Well I backed Canada anyway. COME ON CANADA!!!

Well I'm off to the match or more accurately to Le Pub. Hopefully some of the other supporters will be there otherwise I will be drinking alone in what has to be one of the worst bars in Montreal although one cannot argue with the beer prices though the beer selection leaves something to be desired. I have to say that so far our fan get together organization even makes the CSA look competent but hopefully everything will come together by match time and we will have a large section of drunken, loud Canada supporters who will drown out the Jamaicans and cheer Canada on to victory.

Archived