Mitchell announces roster for Belgium series

CDN4EVR

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2517

Men’s U-20 Team

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mitchell announces roster for Belgium series

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s U20 National Team Head Coach, Dale Mitchell, has announced today his 18-man roster for the upcoming two-game friendly series versus Belgium.

The Canadians will continue their preparation for next summer’s FIFA U20 World Cup Canada with matches against the Belgian U18 National Team (born 1988) on September 2nd at St-Truidense VV at 20:00 (local time) and September 4th in Maasmechelen at 20:00 (local time). A warm up match has also been set versus the St-Truidense Youth Team on August 29th at 20:00.

Coming off a busy summer in which the U20s hosted a three-match series with the Brazilian U20 National Team in May and two matches versus the United States in July, Mitchell has selected an experienced roster led by European-based players. Of the 18 players selected for the camp, 8 are based with European clubs and of the group only Marcus Haber of FC Groningen (Netherlands) was not a part of one of the rosters for this summer’s matches.

"During the coming year we want to take advantage of the FIFA International dates in order to gather our European based players,” explained Mitchell. “Unfortunately some of the boy’s clubs are not affected by the FIFA rule and we will be without several during this camp. We also have not called any of our U.S. College players as they are busy preparing for their season. Nevertheless we need to prepare ourselves with difficult matches to get ready for next summer and playing a European opponent away from home is always a good test for our guys".

The team will depart for Belgium on August 25th with most European-based players joining the group following their weekend matches on August 26th and 27th. Kent O’Connor of 1860 Munich (Germany), Simeon Jackson of Rushden and Diamonds (England) and Andrea Lombardo recently loaned from Atalanta BC to F.C. Rieti SRL (Italy) will not be available for the matches due to club commitments.

Roster – CANADA

Pos/Complete Name/Club/Date of Birth/Hometown/Province

GK/BEGOVIC, Asmir/Portsmouth FC (England)/20-Jun-87/Edmonton/AB

D/OWUSU-ANSAH, Kennedy/National Training Centre - Ontario/20-Jul-89/Toronto/ON

M/AYRE, Keegan/Hibernian FC (Scotland)/4-Jul-88/Coquitlam/BC

M/BOURGAULT, Jonathan/St. Pauli FC (Germany)/27-Sep-88/Ile Bizard/QC

D/LUMLEY, Stephen/National Training Centre - Ontario/16-Apr-87/Mississauga/ON

D/EDGAR, David/Newcastle United FC (England)/19-May-87/Kitchener/ON

M/PETERS, Jaime/Ipswich Town FC (England)/04-May-87/Pickering/ON

M/NUNEZ, Cristian/FC Lyn Oslo (Norway)/07-Jul-88/Montreal/QC

F/DI IOIA, Massimo/Montreal Impact/18-Jun-87/Montreal/QC

F/JOHNSON, Will/SC Heerenveen (Netherlands)/21-Jan-87/Woodridge/IL

M/GRAY, A.J./National Training Centre - Ontario/12-Apr-88/Brampton/ON

F/HABER, Marcus/FC Groningen (Netherlands)/11-Jan-89/Vancouver/BC

F/LAMMIE, Selvin (Shane)/National Training Centre - Ontario/3-Aug-88/Toronto/ON

D/ATTAKORA-GYAN, Nana/National Training Centre - Ontario/27-Mar-89/Orangeville/ON

M/BALDE, Ibrahim/Montreal Impact/24-Sep-87/Montreal/QC

D/M/GALA, Gabe/National Training Centre - Ontario/29-Jun-89/Brampton/ON

M/BABINEAU, Olivier/University of Montreal/12-Jul-87/Dieppe/NB

GK/MONSALVE, David/National Training Centre - Ontario/21-Dec-88/Brampton/ON

Staff

Complete Name/Duties/Hometown/Province

MAESTRACCI, Dominique/Head of Delegation/Montreal/QC

MITCHELL, Dale/Head Coach/Port Moody/BC

DASOVIC, Nick/Assistant Coach/Burnaby/BC

MULDOON, Kevin/Equipment Manager/GK Coach/Oakville/ON

LAING, Dwayne/Athletic Therapist/Edmonton/AB

CELEBRINI, Randy/Strength and Conditioning Coach/Vancouver/BC

NUTT, Dave/National Teams Administrator/Ottawa/ON

Glad to see the U20's continue to get quality prep ahead of next year's tournament.

This also explain why Peters and Johnson were not called for the senior team's match against Jamaica.

I guess Jacob Lensky (Celtic) is all but done with this team. Maybe the CSA put a plan in place to keep him out of Canadian soccer.

There is a reference by Mitchell that some Euro-based players are not available due to club committments (Lombardo I bet being one of them), so I'd still give Lensky the benefit of the doubt, especially if he's about the sign with a new club. Couple other names missing from the Euro-based players include Gavin McCallum and Simeon Jackson.

As for Lensky, what I find alarming is that his name is not mentioned--in the article--as one of the Euro-based players not eligible because of club duties or whatever. Again, an explanation would be nice; without one we tend to jump to conclusions. Mitchell was impressed with Lensky, so I suspect he was not deliberately excluded because Mitchell doubted what the lad could offer. Perhaps, and this is me hoping, Lensky has decided to stay with his club in Holland to see if he can land the gig. Maybe he is still on board with U20s. But at this point, from what little we know, it seems disheartening to NOT see his name on the roster.

Very true about Lensky, anything we say will be suposition(sp?) But this is really the first match he has missed since joining th program if you consider that he asked to be given the summer off after his first "pro" year, and you also must take into account that he was just trialling with a new squad and is probably anxious to keep a spot wherever he is right now.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Yeah, I'm thinking of going to one game, probably the game at Maasmechelen. Cheap plane tickets are out of the question, but I'm looking at taking a bus to Brussels from London. I'll have to check out the prices. Prices return from London are £41 which isn't too bad. Overnight bus sounds fun.... [B)]

Ok, well I can't take off Monday, so if I go to anything, I'll be going to the Saturday match.

Archived