DJT

<center>VOYAGEURS CUP 2006

MATCH 5

TORONTO LYNX     vs.     MONTREAL IMPACT

2239222392.jpg                2234822348.jpg

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:30 PM EDT

Centennial Park Stadium, Toronto

Radio & Audio Webcasts:

CJAD 800 AM Montreal (English, direct link to Webcast)

Sport Plus XM-172 (French, Webcast through Montreal Impact)

Text Match Tracker:

Montreal Impact

</center>

VOYAGEURS CUP 2006 SCENARIOS

[*]If Montreal win this match then they will win the title.

[*]If Toronto win this match or if it ends in a draw then the title will be decided by the final match.

VOYAGEURS CUP 2006 SUMMARY

Montreal   1-1-0  2-1  4
Vancouver 1-1-2 4-4 4
Toronto 1-0-1 2-3 3

April 29 - Vancouver 2-0 Toronto
July 5 - Toronto 2-1 Vancouver
July 7 - Montreal 1-1 Vancouver
July 16 - Vancouver 0-1 Montreal
August 23 - Toronto vs. Montreal
September 8 - Montreal vs. Toronto[/code] [b]MATCH 5 PREVIEWS[/b] [*]Voyageurs Cup media release - August 22 [*]Toronto    »  USL D1:    5-6-12  21-34  23   (12th place)   ·   Last match: August 20 - Toronto 1 Rochester 1    »  Toronto Lynx media release - August 22 [*]Montreal    »  USL D1:   12-7-4   27-13  43   (1st place)     ·   Last match: August 16 - Montreal 0 Charleston 1    »  Montreal Impact media release - August 22 [b]TORONTO & MONTREAL HEAD-TO-HEAD 2002-2006[/b] [*]Results at Toronto
[code] » Non-VC - June 27, 2002 : Toronto 0 Montreal 0
» VC - August 18, 2002: Toronto 1 Montreal 2
» VC - May 10, 2003 : Toronto 0 Montreal 2
» Non-VC - June 8, 2003 : Toronto 1 Montreal 0
» VC - May 29, 2004 : Toronto 0 Montreal 2
» Non-VC - May 15, 2005 : Toronto 0 Montreal 1
» VC - July 22, 2005 : Toronto 0 Montreal 1
» Non-VC - June 11, 2006 : Toronto 0 Montreal 1
[*]Records at Toronto
   »  VC     : Toronto  0-0-4  Montreal
» Non-VC : Toronto 1-1-2 Montreal
» Overall: Toronto 1-1-6 Montreal[/code] [*]Records Overall
[code] » VC : Toronto 2-1-5 Montreal
» Non-VC : Toronto 1-2-6 Montreal
» Overall: Toronto 3-3-11 Montreal

Voyageurs Cup

OOPs the Lynx are doing very well lately. Knowing the reputation that the Impact has as wel as the great media support they have received showing great results,Can't wait to read all the papers I get every morning,stacks of them. I wonder if there will be one word in the Toronto media. Judging on their last 8 weeks it will be zilch. So please let me be wrong. Will I be?

Result of the Wednesday August 23, 2006 USL game between Toronto Lynx and Montreal Impact played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 7:30pm.

31 min…Lynx RED card…Shawn Faria earns a direct ejection from referee Mauricio Navarro for a forearm up challenge on Impact Ze Roberto near the center line.

46 min…Impact’s Mauro Biello hauls down Lynx Matthew Palleschi who on a burst of speed dribbles into the Impact box. The referee signals for a Penalty kick.

47 min…Lynx Jamie Dodds GOAL…Dodds penalty kick is low to left side and diving goalie Greg Sutton gets a hand to it but Dodds blasts in the 3 yard rebound on the left high into top of net well over prone goalie.

69 min…Impact Ze Roberto GOAL…Impact Leonardo Di Lorenzo cornerkick from right has Robert head in from 4 yards on left with goalie Theo Zagar protecting the right side of the net.

Final Score:…….Toronto Lynx……1……..Montreal Impact………1………

Attendance was given out as 1184 but I’d estimate about 600 people were here. A rain before the game limited the walk up crowd.

The Lynx for the second game in a row had to play a man short for more than half the game. The reason for the direct Red card was stitched together from different opinions but the most realistic seemed to be that the referee had just warned Faria and Roberto about roughing each other up a few minutes earlier so jumped on the chance when the two players clashed again.

Robbie Aristodemo really hustled this game and broke up some Impact plays gaining possession for the Lynx. His best moment was at 60 minutes when he stepped in front of a pass along the center line meant for Mauricio Vincello and ran in but an Impact defender got back and blocked his shot from 20 yards. He also took quite a few of the free kicks and corner kicks with a good chance coming at 52 minutes when his cornerkick from the right had Lynx Andres Arango head 6 yarder to Impact goalie Greg Sutton. Impact goalie Greg Sutton kept his team in the game at 52 minutes when he was able to stop Rick Titus’s blast of a 5 yard shot that Sutton stopped after already going down to stop another stop. At 77 minutes Damien Pottinger raced in from the left and his 18 yard blast was into the short side netting. At 86 minutes Impact Leonardo Di Lorenzo’s cross from the left had Impact Joel Bailey blast a 10 yard shot from the right into the short side webbing of the net. These two plays drew gasps because of the illusion that both were goals.

Both teams had quite a few rushes broken up on offside calls.

The Lynx were hanging on in the four minutes of extra time. Impact Massimo Di Ioia got the ball open on the left and has a shot from 15 yards that’s well over net. Di Ioia got another chance when he blasted a low 20 yarder that was smothered by the goalie. Impact Daniel Antoniuk on rush alone had Lynx defender Rick Titus catch him to poke the ball away on the edge of the box. Di Ioia had the game’s last chance where he sent in a cross from the left but a flying defender headed the ball away.

The Lynx put up a good effort against the current best team in the league. They had earlier in the year beaten the best team in the league when they won against Vancouver Whitecaps. It shows that on any given day, this league has parity. Three ties in their last three games (two against Rochester) just about eliminate any playoff chances the team might have dreamed about.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Originally posted by john tv

OOPs the Lynx are doing very well lately. Knowing the reputation that the Impact has as wel as the great media support they have received showing great results,Can't wait to read all the papers I get every morning,stacks of them. I wonder if there will be one word in the Toronto media. Judging on their last 8 weeks it will be zilch. So please let me be wrong. Will I be?

La Presse had a write-up of about 100 words...

Correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be) but didn't the Lynx do the same thing last year. Didn't they start off losing their first 10? games and then put up points for the remainder of the season, when they were already to far behind to make up the ground.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Ironically, the day after this match the Star had an entire page of their sports section dedicated to soccer/football....quite a lot for a summmer Thursday....but they could not find any ink to even mention that two Canadian based teams had played to a draw in Toronto the night before!

It's a shame indeed.Xenophonics or even worse.I do believe that if a group of voyageurs were to contact the media in Toronto and made sure that they would report on the team,it will make a big difference. I just wonder if the will is there to do so. Thanks Daniel,one hundred times better than in Toronto.

Here we go again loud effen mouth defending the xeno media.Why are you so much in love with the Canadian media who for years have terrorised Canadian soccer. It is criminal how the reacted or not acted at all. Who are your buddies, give me their name and I will show you who they are. Stop this defending crap, it's totally useless they are on their way out. There is room any longer for those xeno guys. We are talking about Canadian youths who have big dreams and they want to represent Canada and they want to play for a MLS team and yes Toronto is on top of that list.Your media buddies will be eliminated. This is to powerfull and they will be isolated and they will be having second thoughts,big time. This xeno stuff has to stop. Soccer is here and there is no room to carry on this McGowan, Marsden or PRickens stuff.Sorry perkins. As I told you one of the most prominent soccer writers hates these bastards even more than I do.Get It Loud Mouth. Stop It!!!!

John, take a valium.

I made a statement about your accusation and you tee off like I just killed your family.

Your reply shows you're not paying attention at all to my posts-just making up crazy shiat as you go.

quote:Your media buddies will be eliminated.

Like this one. If that happened, there would be almost no one left to listen to your 'masterplan' for having soccer take over the Canadian sports media scene. Good luck with that, by the way.

Loud Mouth get with it,soccer is here to stay and here to become a major Canadian sport. This your media buddies will ahve to get use to. The writing is on the wall. I strongly suggest you support my view,there is no other way. Hey again who are your bussies anyway.

Horrible lousy defense you loose lm big time. The Canadian media for years have ignored Canadian soccer and Canadian soccer players. They in my eye are low class mediaq criminals. The writing is on the wall for these xeno guys. There will be people like you who will put up a struggle trying to defend them, but it won't work. You are on the loosing side buddy. just smarten up and join the forces that believe and care about our youths and who know that this is the correct way. Those xeno guys are on their way out, just as you will be. So stop defending these characters and do the good stuff and promote our game as much as you can > sofar having read your stuff, you have done nothing for Canadian soccer and in fact to the contrary.

ps,I can't be bothered to even do a spell check. You get the message,loud mouth and clear!

your funny,that's about it.Some defense. Hey you maybe you can help me understand why soccer is such a great game and why soccer is the game that needs to be elevated to the levels of football, baseball and hockey. Do you believe that they should rank alongside these games. This is what i believe in very strongly yet your so called xeno buddies don't want that. So here is your chance to explain how you view soccer in the scheme of things.I seem to understand that you view soccer not as a major Canadian sport and even will not even allow it to become one.

Archived