Don't look now: Canada back down to 82

Daniel

Well, at least FIFA acknowledges again that CONCACAF has 35 teams, by re-adding Anguilla to their ranking (left out in July's).

Funny (a sad kind of funny) to see 5 CONCACAF teams with "0" points. Hope that the upcoming Digicel Cup helps some of these teams gain some points.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Perhaps because others HAVE played games and have earned their way up or down the listings thereby displacing Canada?

That's impossible. There has been very few matches between this ranking and the previous one. Canada lost over 200 points in one month.

This ranking is going to prove to be a bigger joke than the original in a few months.

from the fifa.com article...

Noticeable changes occur further down the ranking; Mexico (16th, up 2) make their mark as top CONCACAF team, whilst rivals USA fall seven places to 23rd. Several other teams from the North and Central American and Caribbean region also slide down the ranking, namely Honduras (81st, down 43), Canada (82nd, down 28) and Panama (98th, down 39), mainly due to the devaluation of significant 2005 Gold Cup matches in the calculation over the past few weeks.

makes you wonder how much the win v. Cuba was worth!?!

quote:Originally posted by sholtz

from the fifa.com article...

Noticeable changes occur further down the ranking... ...mainly due to the devaluation of significant 2005 Gold Cup matches...

Really sounds like FIFA is on a witch hunt to devalue CONCACAF's standing in the world. They keep adjusting the point system, specifically to lower our standings.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose the 1/2 spot and go down to 3 World Cup Final qualifying teams.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Really sounds like FIFA is on a witch hunt to devalue CONCACAF's standing in the world. They keep adjusting the point system, specifically to lower our standings.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose the 1/2 spot and go down to 3 World Cup Final qualifying teams.

This is true. The new ranking system is biased toward Europe. When the new system came out, I saw an example of a CONCACAF team beating England vs. a Euro team beating England. The Euro team would gain more points from the win because of some confederation strength coefficient that FIFA uses. I find it mind boggling that FIFA would make the new ranking system so unfair.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This aspect I mind a little less if it is just in relation to Europe. I do believe that stenght-wise, no region can compare to UEFA. But I would disagree if Concacaf was devalued at the expense of any of the other 3 regions. Or if the strenght coefficient unjustly penalized Concacaf to a greater extent than the other three. Even in the most recent WC, I have seen little to nothing from Asia, Africa, or south america that really surprised me.

Too bad Canada couldn't play as well in real life as I have them playing in Worldwide Soccer Manager. Is it too much to ask for Canada to be ranked 4th in the World and Oliver Occean to be one of the most lethal goalscorers in International Football?

As for these FIFA rankings, we need to be realistic and acknowledge that Canada was overranked at 54. I think at 82 we may be a bit underranked. Even that is hard to argue due to our inability to beat the likes of Honduras and Guatemala. The CSA really needs to get it's house in order and actually have the NT play games. If anybody ever did put together a National League here in Canada I would hope to god they'd be smart enough not to let the CSA have any say whatsoever in it's day-to-day operations.

Archived