SPL2?

argh1

It's on BBC.co.uk

SFL teams are voting to join an SPL2. What's up with this?

Is it an ownership of the game thing or...I dunno. Will SFA still have control of the game or is it a $ and ¢ thing?

I still think SFA is the dumbest name I ever heard for an organization.

When I was a kid and someone asked you what you were doing and you said SFA it didn't mean Scottish Football Ass'n.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

It's on BBC.co.uk

SFL teams are voting to join an SPL2. What's up with this?

Is it an ownership of the game thing or...I dunno. Will SFA still have control of the game or is it a $ and ¢ thing?

I still think SFA is the dumbest name I ever heard for an organization.

When I was a kid and someone asked you what you were doing and you said SFA it didn't mean Scottish Football Ass'n.

Currently the only division in Scotland that has, either, a TV deal or a corporate sponsor is the SPL.....this has led to the lower division teams falling further behind in terms of quality of stadiums and squads. The upper echelon of the teams in Div. 1, 2 & 3 have been trying to figure out how to improve their lots for some time....it is felt that by becoming part of the SPL and guaranteeing minimum standards (stadiums, full-time professional squads, etc) they can generate more commercial value for their clubs....so it is a $$$ thing but no more so than, for example, the re-branding of English Div 2 as Division 1 and then "The Championship".....just smaller clubs trying to survive in an ever increasing corporate society.

As for your comment on the name.....since the SFA actually stands for words that you can utter in polite company and since they have been using the name since 1873 (the second oldest Football Association in the world) I have to conclude that your confusion over the use of the initials says more about you than them!!!

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

As for your comment on the name.....since the SFA actually stands for words that you can utter in polite company and since they have been using the name since 1873 (the second oldest Football Association in the world) I have to conclude that your confusion over the use of the initials says more about you than them!!!

OOPS sorry, Sweet Frig All is what comes to mind whenever I see SFA. Crass enviroment will be my excuse. But thanks for the history lesson [B)]

SPL votes for SPL2

link to BBC article

Archived