Lynx & The Open Cup

PSG

I was just having a look at the CSL website and it had a story regarding Saturday's Open Cup draw between Hamilton Serbians and the Toronto Lynx. I then decided to see what the Lynx website had to say about it but there's no information there at all. Do the Lynx not see these as valuable games or am I missing something?

Between mid-May and some time in the last week the Lynx had not updated their site at all. During that time the Open Cup was covered in their press releases (which continued to be distributed even though they were not posted on their site). Some time in the last week they updated their site and posted all the releases that were not posted before. This weekend's Open Cup match is mentioned in the August 9 release.

Couple of points. Hamilton Serbians are not a CSL team. They entered the Open Canada Cup, which is open to any Canadian team, as it is a National Cup, as I understand it. It is just that mainly Ontario teams (and Laval) enter.

As Richard said, good for the Lynx to support this. And good for the CSL for trying to organize a National Cup.

All,

Thanks for comenting on the Open Canada Cup.

We are very proud of our event. Our Open Canada Cup is open to any team in Canada. As a result of the realities of geography, partcipating teams have come from Ontario and Quebec, but it is truly open.

While CSL clubs (Windsor, London, Windsor) have won every year to date, the opportunity always exists for an amateur club to 'pull off an upset'. This years teams from Brampton, Ottawa, London, Hamilton remain in the hunt.

We give significant credit to the Toronto Lynx for participating in an event, where they are 'favoured' to win. This marked that first time that a USL club and a CSL competed in meaningful competition.

Ultimately, we hope that the Whitecaps, Impact, Toronto FC, as well as PDL, PCSL and other teams are all competing with the CSL in a truly Open Cup format. We have encouraged the CSA for several years to join us in the effort, and we are optimistic that this will soon be a reality.

Currently, the CSL contribute 100% of the $10,000 prize money for the winning club, and are excited about the progress and success of an event now in its 4th year.

Cary Kaplan

thanks commish.

quick hypothetical: let's say Firefighters F.C. from the Vancouver Metro Soccer League enter the cup. How would the travel expenses be covered? THey'd be the only west coast team entered, and given 50/50 opportunity to host a home match every round (you do a random draw right?).

Since it is open you wouldn't be able to stipulate more than 1 west coast entry be admitted, correct?

Here's hoping Montreal joins next season at least.

Regarding BC, I believe there is an agreement out here with a group trying to get this going out this way where the winner of the ACBCFC tournament enters the Open Cup competition in the final stages. The tourney is actually running this weekend with $8000 going to the winning team. However, I think that the agreement is to start *next* year so the winner this weekend will not be entering the Open Cup.

The prize money for next year is to help pay for the travel expenses.

Cheers,

~Regs.

The ACBC tournament had trouble attracting top teams. According to the interview with the sponsor/organiser the Soccer Paper published, the best they could get were a few first division FVSL and VMSL teams and lesser - none of the top premier teams apparently showed any interest. The tournament was scheduled after the PCSL season ended and long before the winter leagues begin so many teams don't even have their rosters filled yet. I suspect there was a credibility issue they were dealing with too. Maybe next year.

the prize money is impressive. if i was managing a top men's team in bc i'd enter. it could be a great springboard for the season, and could be reason enough to keep the boys together in something of a rec league throughout the summer to stay match fit.

all tournaments tend to grow in stature. if a vmsl team enters and is invited in the csl open cup then other teams will enter from that league.

Archived