Hargreaves voted No1 at WC with England fans

Elias

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=375409&cc=5901

Hargreaves voted No1 with England fans

Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves has been voted England's best player at the recent World Cup.

Hargreaves produced several consistent performances in midfield and at right-back under Sven-Goran Eriksson in Germany while the likes of Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard did not meet expectations.

And the versatile midfielder, subjected to ridicule for much of his international career, has been identified as the most impressive player in Germany in a Football Association poll last month.

Canada-raised Hargreaves received more than 35,000 votes - just under a quarter of those polled - beating Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, David Beckham and John Terry.

Champions League-winner Hargreaves said: 'Any time you can have the public's support is great. Obviously before the World Cup I got a taste of the other side of it but it's far better to be on the positive side of it.

'I saw some English people when I was on holiday in Dubai and it was great. They came up to me and thanked me for working so hard.

'They just said thank you which is the best thing you can really say to someone.'

The same thing will be said about Jonathan I believe one day.It's funny here we are two Canadians who shone in playing against Chelsea in the last couple of days and now this, never mind Jonathan and his incredable succes in Holland Again he is the boy in Holland.Hargreaves, DeRosario,Stalteri and both Deguzmans, not bad for a hockey country eh!.

a lot of people were trashing this guys play leading into the WC, maybe deservedly, but he did play excellent and he was England's most effective player at times, so I think he deserves the respect for his play at the WC. All the other stuff aside, he played like you would expect a Canadian kid, worked hard from end to end and got stuck in every chance he could.

Right on Vllus, these yo yo's have no idea how proud these kids are to be Canadian it is in their blood big time I know, just the stupit circumstances that forces them to be in this position.It is all about the media that will not promote or even recognize Canbadian soccer.These yo yo's are just about criminals Anyway have fun and keep on watching all these foreigners, knowing we have some great soccer players, a very well kept secret in this country!

john, you continue to amaze me.

As hottoddy7, if he was so proud, he would not have fluttered eyelashes at England, Wales, or Germany while ignoring us because he felt 'slighted' a few years earlier.

And my god-stop commenting about the media. You know nothing about those in the media who give a damn. Maybe in Canbadia they don't care...

quote:Originally posted by john tv

these yo yo's have no idea how proud these kids are to be Canadian it is in their blood big time I know

Nothing makes me prouder to be Canadian than singing God Save The Queen.

He was born and raised in Canada. He's Canadian and not to be proud of him is silly and bitter. And the fact that soccer people know he's Canadian is a great thing for our game.

We should all be proud.

He's played in two world cups. Have many have you played in?

I'm at peace now with the OH story but let's not be naive here. He has brought more negatives than positives to canadian soccer by making that decision.

I'm giving him a break for the rest of his career, I'm not going to hate someone the rest of my life just because he made a wrong sporting decision.

"He's played in two world cups. Have many have you played in?"

What kind of argument is that? I guess if someone tell you that player X played a bad game for Canada you'll come up with the "he has 10 international caps, how many you've got?"

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The Queen of Canada.

But guess what, our national anthem is different from Britain's.

I still find this strange, this Queen business. No disrespect just never ever accepted this as her being my Queen. In fact this is the first time in my life having to think and spent some time on it.

Maybe O.H uses this an an excuse to play for England,afterall he is playing for his Queen the queen of Canada! It is getting stranger all the time.

This is a classic Catch-22. People use the excuse that soccer players here get no media attention, that is why it is better for them to go abroad and play for another country. Every time we lose a player to another country, our chance of getting to a World Cup decreases. If we ever get to a WC, then the players would get the media attention they crave and deserve (as will the loyal fans).

Am I bitter with Owen Hargreaves - no. Disappointed - yes. Happy he played well - yes. Proud of him - you're kidding, right?

quote:Originally posted by Kelly

He was born and raised in Canada. He's Canadian and not to be proud of him is silly and bitter. And the fact that soccer people know he's Canadian is a great thing for our game.

We should all be proud.

He's played in two world cups. Have many have you played in?

What a retarded argument.

I should be proud because A Canadian played in two World Cups for England? Or is it because he's played in more World Cups than me?

You know what would be great for our game? If CANADIANS played for CANADA. How ******* hard is this concept to grasp for all of you Whoregreaves apologists?

I'm a fan of Canadian soccer. Whoregreaves turned his back on Canadian soccer for more glitz and glamour. I'm not a fan of Whoregreaves. Simple as that.

Oh, and Kelly, how many World Cups have you played in?

What a retarded argument.

I should be proud because A Canadian played in two World Cups for England? Or is it because he's played in more World Cups than me?

You know what would be great for our game? If CANADIANS played for CANADA. How ******* hard is this concept to grasp for all of you Whoregreaves apologists?

I'm a fan of Canadian soccer. Whoregreaves turned his back on Canadian soccer for more glitz and glamour. I'm not a fan of Whoregreaves. Simple as that.

Oh, and Kelly, how many World Cups have you played in?

You go after OH for his decision to play for a country that has more glitz and glamour than Canada, but you've made the same decision he's made.

You've chosen to support the MLS team that hasn't signe done Canadian player to date playing in an AMERICAN league (our CONCACAF rival) over the exisiting Toronto Lynx and it's dumpy USL home. You've turned your back on supporting a team that has done more for the MNT than some hockey corporation has. You've picked glamour and glitz over an existing Canadian team. So you should hate yourself- for being in the same boat as Owen.

Does that make you a traitor? or does Owen not have the same right as you do, to play/cheer for the better side if you choose to.

THREADJACK ALERT. Although if any thread is worth a good jacking this one certainly is.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I still find this strange, this Queen business. No disrespect just never ever accepted this as her being my Queen.

I swear that I will be faithful

and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty

Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada,

Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully

observe the laws of Canada

and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Oath of Allegiance taken by all Canadian Citizens of Choice.

In another lifetime, had to take a similiar albeit much longer oath in order to work for the Department of the Attorny General of Manitoba. Was pretty serious stuff back then although I think they've let it lapse.

A brief fight a decade ago after the Tory Education minister tried to insist on all school divisions playing God Save The Queen during opening exercises. Some still were, but the majority had dropped it by that point. Didn't fly and the school divisions just carried on as they had been.

(As an aside, recall when we 1st sent the Little One off to school. Wasn't surprised that they'd dropped the Lord's Prayer from opening exercise but was surprised that they'd also axed God Save The Queen. Was part of my opening exercises even through high school).

P.S. Oh yeah, our Mr. Hargreaves. I'd say this honour bestowed upon him says far, far more about what everyone else on that England squad didn't do this past summer than anything he especially did. Have to admit though, he showed he was very deserving of his place.

You go after OH for his decision to play for a country that has more glitz and glamour than Canada, but you've made the same decision he's made.

You've chosen to support the MLS team that hasn't signe done Canadian player to date playing in an AMERICAN league (our CONCACAF rival) over the exisiting Toronto Lynx and it's dumpy USL home. You've turned your back on supporting a team that has done more for the MNT than some hockey corporation has. You've picked glamour and glitz over an existing Canadian team. So you should hate yourself- for being in the same boat as Owen.

Does that make you a traitor? or does Owen not have the same right as you do, to play/cheer for the better side if you choose to.

Nice try.

I chose to stop cheering for the Lynx years before the possibility of MLS had ever arisen. It had nothing to do with glitz and glamour, and everything to do with the ownership choosing to abandon any hope of improving the product, ever. If the owners were throwing in the towel, why should I continue to spend my hard earned money supporting their team, knowing that any standout players would simply be sold to the Montreal Impact before season's end.

Even if I had chosen Toronto FC over the Lynx (which I didn't), your attempt at analogy is incredibly poor. The AMERICAN league that Toronto FC will play in mirrors the AMERICAN league that the Lynx currently play in. Either way, both of these teams are in TORONTO, a CANADIAN city.

Even if Toronto FC only ever puts one player into the Canadian national team pool, it'll be infinitely more than The Whore has ever done for Canadian soccer.

The Lynx are a big mistory to me, meaning they keep on loosing tons of money.They don't get the support from G.T.A soccer fans, the media totally ignores the team and now they are facing competition from the MLS,Toronto F.C team.Talking about the love of the game. Totally amazing and certainly not somebody who has abandoned the team. It simply makes no dollar sense at all.

We should be very gratefull for these amazing and even strange owners.They sure have gone the extra mile,big time!

Rudi,

I would say that Owen summed up the CSA in the same way you have the Toronto Lynx. Badly run and with ZERO amibition- otherwise why would Stephen Hart be our current national team coach? why--to save a few bucks. Our Men's National team is treated in the same way as your u-16 girls national program. It's a joke. It's not about doing what's required to get us to a WC. It's about running the CSA as a local rec club is run. Owen and others have every right to play elsewhere until that lack of leadership and passion returns to the CSA.

You had every right to walk away from the Lynx. And just by the fact that the soccer world knows that Owen is Canadian has opened up doors, especially in Germany for others to follow.

otherwise why would Stephen Hart be our current national team coach? why--to save a few bucks.

He's an interim coach who knows the system. He's a good choice for the caretaker role.

Would you rather the CSA spent millions on an interim coach?

quote:

Owen and others have every right to play elsewhere until that lack of leadership and passion returns to the CSA.

I have every right to call them on it.

Playing soccer for your country is not a "right". It's an honoured privelege that should not be seen as an opportunity for glory-hunting.

He's an interim coach who knows the system. He's a good choice for the caretaker role.

Would you rather the CSA spent millions on an interim coach?

I have every right to call them on it.

Playing soccer for your country is not a "right". It's an honoured privelege that should not be seen as an opportunity for glory-hunting.

It's also a free world. According to FIFA, Owen had the choice. And he's the best player to ever come out of this country and as such had an offer to play for a national association that has it's act together, something that 99% of current MNT players would never get.

And I bet if they did, 70% would have made the same choice.

The CSA is to blame. The player made the right choice. Don't hate him for it. Direct that anger at the CSA.

Rudi,

I would say that Owen summed up the CSA in the same way you have the Toronto Lynx.

You don't play internationally for the sake of your country's national soccer association, you play for your country.

Hargreaves decided to play for England. People who dream of seeing Canada rise up from the nether regions of Canadian soccer don't like the player because he decided that his country wasn't Canada, but in fact England. He could have really helped Canada, but helped himself & helped England instead. Good for him, good for England, bad for us. However, it shouldn't be difficlt to understand why Canadian supporters don't like the guy.

Whatever argument you come up with you are righy in your reasonong,but what is the right answer anyway under the circumstances. Is there a law that states that you cannot play for any other country. This being the case we may have some problems since I believe that many athletes that represent Canada were born not in Canada.I believe that Owen has done a huge favour to many Canadian kids, simply because he made the whole world aware that we produc some great players. That only applies to him but many others.It's called the big picture.

Archived