National Soccer Stadium Progress

JesseDart

stadium_8_8_06.jpg

I have to say that I am not impress by the façade that is going on at the Toronto Exhibition grounds. I sincerely hope that this is not a cheaply made stadium that the only reason is costing $80 Million is beacuse it is being constructed in a rush. To me, from the pictures, it looks like temporary stands are being set up. The renderings look like Taylor Field.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Relax JD, this is what the NSS will look like when complete:

[

Noticed today for the first time that the second deck on the west side is starting to take shape.....really is amazing how fast you can build a stadium these days! Specially if you keep the design real simple like this one.

I presume these renderings are looking south from the Gardiner?

The design is boring and fairly insipid but it's a stadium - which is infinitely better than what exists now. Maybe future stadiums in other cities will blow this away (if Canada suddenly starts a soccer infrastructure boom) but I think we have to be realistic. We're always going to be a second-tier (at best) soccer nation and a second-tier sport in this country. Even our "national stadium" is going to look like an Italian second division ground.

Mike.

Guest speedmonk42

I am more concerned with the fact that the game going on inside the stadium appears to have had at least 4 red cards.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

So, this stadium is going to get a corporate sponsor, right? Because naming it "National Soccer Stadium" is a bit ridiculous.

Oh yeah... there's is no way in hell they'd let so much potential revenue (the stadium is right next to the QEW) slip away.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Oh yeah... there's is no way in hell they'd let so much potential revenue (the stadium is right next to the QEW) slip away.

Especially since MLSE gets to keep all revenue from the naming (some said up to 10 million).

And the stadium does look very cheap. I wonder how it'll stand up to the test of time? Will it be another Lamport Stadium (Canada's first SSS) -without a major tenant and a lousy plastic surface that the CPSL doesn't want to use?

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I am more concerned with the fact that the game going on inside the stadium appears to have had at least 4 red cards.

It is a futuristic rendering showing Canada as World Champs after all the non-soccer playing North Americans convinced FIFA to abolish penalties as a tie-breaker and, instead, gradually take players off of the field in OT....in the game in progress....Canada and England are both down to 7 a side in the 4th overtime period of a nil - nil match.

As you can see from the outside, the newly educated and soccer friendly sports fans of Toronto are well aware that the real action does not start until the 5th or 6th period of overtime and are now arriving in numbers....of course since every seat appears full, one must wonder where those people entering the stadium are going to sit.......

suffice it to say, the artist who did this rendering did not pay a lot of attention to detail!

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

I presume these renderings are looking south from the Gardiner?

The design is boring and fairly insipid but it's a stadium - which is infinitely better than what exists now. Maybe future stadiums in other cities will blow this away (if Canada suddenly starts a soccer infrastructure boom) but I think we have to be realistic. We're always going to be a second-tier (at best) soccer nation and a second-tier sport in this country. Even our "national stadium" is going to look like an Italian second division ground.

Mike.

Mike have you seen some Italian and French first division grounds? Treviso, Ascoli, Palermo, Chievo, Nice etc? Some pretty grim, utilitarian stuff in these first world, first divisions.

Nice's stadium, Stade du Ray, pretty basic stuff:

http://www.stadiumguide.com/ray.htm

Archived