MVP De Rosario leads All-Stars to win

cyris2k

By Thomas Foote / MLSnet.com Staff

Dwayne De Rosario ® celebrates his winning strike in the All-Star Game. (S. Levin/WireImage.com)

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- After scoring the game-winning goal that gave the MLS All-Stars victory against Chelsea FC, Houston Dynamo midfielder Dwayne De Rosario was named the Most Valuable Player of the 2006 Sierra MLS All-Star Game.

De Rosario scored a beautiful goal in the 70th minute, the only goal of the game that once again matched the best of MLS against one of the best club sides in the world. The goal broke open a deadlock that saw both teams struggled to create many clear chances.

"I turned and thought I had space, but it got closed down," De Rosario said. "I touched it forward and decided to hit it."

"Hit it" may have been a little bit of understatement. Midfielder Freddy Adu had a great view of the goal.

"He's definitely one of the best players in the league," Adu said. "The guy's got a cannon."

It might have been the shot heard round the world for MLS. They beat the two-time defending English Premier League champion, certainly one of the leading clubs in terms of payroll value, and one many consider one of the best in the world.

"They scored a great goal," said Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

Midfielder Ronnie O'Brien set up the goal with a throw-in from the right flank. O'Brien knew the right place to put the ball.

"I knew he wanted it on his right shoulder, I knew that he was going to come inside," O"Brien said. "I knew he was going to turn and shoot it with a big kick and put it in the net."

O'Brien downplayed his role in what was a masterpiece of a goal. But O'Brien managed to set up a deadly scorer, to get what both teams wanted so badly -- a goal.

"All credit to him. I did the easy part," O'Brien said.

O'Brien was helped by watching De Rosario. He knew that when De Rosario dipped his shoulder, that was an indication where he wanted the ball

As a defender in MLS, fellow All-Star Jimmy Conrad knows what problems De Rosario can cause for a defense -- even one as highly touted as Chelsea.

"He's a handful, he gets in good spots, and makes things happen," Conrad said. "If they're going to lay off him, he's going to fire a shot. You can't really leave that guy open."

De Rosario was kidded a bit by MLS head coach Peter Nowak. Nowak said he was sure the U.S. national team would love to have his services -- but there's a problem: He's a Canadian. De Rosario said with the talent Chelsea had on the field, and Canada not having qualified for the World Cup since 1982, the All-Star Game was like his World Cup.

"I would love to play in the World Cup, but I don't think I'll change my team," De Rosario said.

Conrad said De Rosario showed he could hold his own playing against teams like Chelsea week in and week out.

"He's a good player and I think if he ever wants to make the move to Europe, I think he would make the show," Conrad said. "I hope he stays in the league because he's good for the league."

De Rosario said he felt no pressure, even playing in his first All-Star Game, even playing against a club like Chelsea.

"I didn't feel no pressure at all. I just wanted to come in play my game, do my thing, represent myself, represent my teammates, represent my team (Houston)," he said.

De Rosario was obviously pleased with his performance as he politely answered questions in the postgame press conference, accompanied by his daughter Adisa. She began to fuss a bit, apparently wanting to get in her daddy's arms.

It was a world-class performance by the MVP of the MLS All-Star Game, and her daddy's arms was the place to be.

Thomas Foote is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060805&content_id=68343&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

quote:Originally posted by cyris2k

By Thomas Foote / MLSnet.com Staff

Dwayne De Rosario ® celebrates his winning strike in the All-Star Game. (S. Levin/WireImage.com)

there's a problem: He's a Canadian. De Rosario said with the talent Chelsea had on the field, and Canada not having qualified for the World Cup since 1982, the All-Star Game was like his World Cup.

C'mon

Archived