USL D1 - Aug 4 - Impact at Virginia Beach [R]

Grizzly

IMPACT 1 VIRGINIA BEACH 1

The Impact played with a man down for the last 10 minutes following Antonio Ribeiro’s second yellow card.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia – The Montreal Impact (11-2-6) and the Virginia Beach Mariners (7-5-7) played to a 1-1 tie, at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex, Friday night.

Impact midfielder Antonio Ribeiro, who was starting his first game since June 14 following a thigh injury, scored the lone goal for Montreal at the 32nd minute, his third of the season. The Mariners struck back at the 71st minute on a goal by Greg Simmonds.

Team captain Mauro Biello was the most dangerous Impact player on the field, with five shots, and almost gave his team the win in injury time like he had done the week before in Atlanta, but his shot rattled off the crossbar.

“We should have won tonight," said Biello. "We had so many chances to score. For my part, I think I had five or six good chances but I couldn’t find the back of the net tonight. We can blame ourselves for the tie today. But we have to give credit to our defense which played very well.”

With the tie, the Impact remains in first place in USL D1 standings, with 39 points.

The Impact played with a man down for the last 10 minutes following Ribeiro’s second yellow card, at the 80th minute. He will sit out Sunday’s game against the Mariners.

With starting defenders Gabriel Gervais, Adam Braz and Nevio Pizzolitto out of the line-up due to injury or card situations, head coach Nick De Santis had to juggle his line-up. Defender Bill Sedgewick, who signed with the Impact just before July 31 roster freeze, started the game on the right flank, while midfielder Patrick Leduc started the game as central defender.

“I think that we managed the game well, even if some of some of our regular starters were out of the line-up," said Patrick Leduc, who was playing on defense for the first time this season. "We played good soccer for the first 60 minutes but then we let them take control of the game. I think we ran out of steam in the second half. On the goal that we conceded, we took too much time to come out and adjust on (Kupono) Low’s long play. It’s hard to defend in a situation like that.”

The Impact will face again the Mariners in Virginia Beach this Sunday August 6 (4 pm, CJAD 800).

THE GOALS

32nd minute – On a corner kick situation taken by midfielder Leonardo Di Lorenzo, defender Lars Lyssand headed the ball to the ground. Mariners goalkeeper Matt Nelson made the save, but midfielder Antonio Ribeiro jumped on the rebound, beating the ‘keeper with a high shot.

71st minute – On the penalty spot, Mariners forward Greg Simmonds redirected a long pass from defender Kupono Low with a header, beating Impact goalkeeper Andrew Weber to his right.

HIGHLIGHTS

6th minute – On a two-on-one rush, forward Mauricio Salles passed the ball to Mauro Biello who took a shot just over the bar.

60th minute - Biello had another good scoring chance when his shot from 20 yards was blocked by goalkeeper Nelson, diving to his left.

90th minute – After a good run on the left wing, Biello let a shot go from the top of the box that rattled off the crossbar.

MISSING FROM THE LINE-UP

Team – Player (Position) – Reason – Status

MTL - Adam Braz (D) - 5 yellow cards - 1-game suspension

MTL - Zé Roberto (M) - 1 red card - 1-game suspension

MTL - Nevio Pizzolitto (D) - 8 yellow cards - 2-game suspension

MTL - Daniel Antoniuk (F) – concussion - will miss at least 1 week

MTL - Gabriel Gervais (D) – groin - will miss at least 2 weeks

MTL - Greg Sutton (G) - fractured index finger - could return in August

MTL - Jason DiTullio (D) – knee - season over

NEXT GAMES

Sun. Aug. 6 – Impact @ Virginia Beach – Virginia Beach Sportsplex – 4 pm

Wed. Aug. 9 – Rochester @ Impact – Claude-Robillard Sports Complex – 7:30 pm