De Rosario excited to play Chelsea

Grizzly

De Rosario excited to play Chelsea

By NEIL DAVIDSON

New England Revolution goalie Matt Reis (1) blocks the shot of Houston Dynamo's Dwayne De Rosario of Canada during the first half of a Major League Soccer match, July 22, 2006, in Houston. (CPimages/AP/David J. Phillip)

(CP) - Like most Canadians, Dwayne De Rosario watched the World Cup on TV.

The Canadian international, however, is looking forward to his moment in the soccer spotlight Saturday as the MLS all-stars take on English champion Chelsea in suburban Chicago.

"Not being in the World Cup and then getting the opportunity to play Chelsea, that for me is my World Cup right there," said De Rosario, an attacking midfielder for the Houston Dynamo.

While training in Los Angeles, Chelsea has drawn more than a few celebrities including actors Owen Wilson and Naveen Andrews (Lost), former Sex Pistol guitarist Steve Jones and British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

There will be more big names on the field Saturday at the Chicago Fire's new Toyota Park home as Chelsea shows off the likes of Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko, Frank Lampard, John Terry and Joe Cole.

While De Rosario will be making his first appearance as an MLS all-star, he has already made quite a mark on the U.S. league. The 28-year-old was honoured for goal of the season in both 2004 and 2005, and was runner-up for the Honda MVP award last year when he was also named to the league's end-of-season best 11.

In 2001, his first year in MLS, he was named MVP of the championship game when his sudden death goal gave the San Jose Earthquakes the title.

The Canadian's contribution to Houston this season was recognized by the fact that De Rosario topped all other players in all-star voting split between fans, media, players and coaches. He was the top choice among media and players, and No. 2 among coaches behind Kansas City defender Jimmy Conrad.

The MLS bills De Rosario as one its most exciting talents and the Canadian has lived up to that hype after switching from striker to attacking midfielder.

In 19 games this season, De Rosario has six goals and four assists. He also picked up a red card in his last league outing after a scuffle with Danny O'Rourke of the New York Red Bulls.

Going into the all-star break, Houston (8-4-8) is second to FC Dallas in the MLS West.

"We're not exactly where we want to be but we're still in good situation - second place," De Rosario said.

There are two other Canadians on the Dynamo roster: veteran goalkeeper Pat Onstad of Montreal and defender Adrian Serioux of Toronto. Serioux's season has been hampered by a toe injury but has done well while healthy.

While De Rosario says he has not given up on his dream to play in Europe, coming home is an option with FC Toronto entering the league next season.

"That's definitely something I would consider, because Toronto is my home, he said. "But like I said, my focus is on Houston. I'll cross that bridge when it's time."

But De Rosario, who played for the Toronto Lynx, welcomes the MLS coming to Canada.

"There's huge talent in Toronto that is really untapped yet," he said. "When they reach a certain level, they have no outlet. Having an MLS team will definitely give them something to look forward to."

He has three years left on his MLS contract.

Notes: Ricardo Clark and Eddie Robinson, both of the Houston Dynamo, will replace injured all-stars Landon Donovan (hamstring) of the Los Angeles Galaxy and Pablo Mastroeni (knee) of the Colorado Rapids. ... Managers Jose Mourinho (Chelsea) and former Canadian national team boss Frank Yallop (Los Angeles Galaxy) swapped team shirts Wednesday.

The Canadian's contribution to Houston this season was recognized by the fact that De Rosario topped all other players in all-star voting split between fans, media, players and coaches. He was the top choice among media and players, and No. 2 among coaches behind Kansas City defender Jimmy Conrad.

Well, that's as flattering a vote of confidense as could be expected. Man seems to have found this place. Good for him.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

SO??????????????????

If you have done 2 seconds of search or reading you would've found this in the article:

"While training in Los Angeles, Chelsea has drawn more than a few celebrities including actors Owen Wilson and Naveen Andrews (Lost), former Sex Pistol guitarist Steve Jones and British Prime Minister Tony Blair."

Archived