Kevin McKenna Made Captain of Energie Cottbus

Grizzly

After a team meeting today, McKenna was named captain by the coach, Petrik Sander. Article mentions he is also captain of the Canadian national team. Congrats to Kevin, when he transferred to Cottbus last year many fans thought it was a useless transfer and now he is probably the fan favourite as well as captain.

Kevin McKenna ist neuer Energie-Kapitän

Piplica, Rost und Baumgart im Mannschaftsrat

01.08.06 Der FC Energie Cottbus hat einen neuen Kapitän. Teammanager Petrik Sander benannte Kevin McKenna nach einer Mannschaftssitzung zum neuen Spielführer. Der 26-jährige Kanadier ist damit Nachfolger von Gregg Berhalter, der zu 1860 München gewechselt war.

Kevin McKenna war im Sommer 2005 vom schottischen Erstligisten Heart of Midlothian zum FC Energie Cottbus zurückgekehrt. In der abgelaufenen Saison absolvierte er alle 34 Saisonspiele über die komplette Spielzeit und erzielte dabei 10 Tore. Von 1998 bis 2001 spielte der vielseitige Profi, der sowohl in der Abwehr als auch im Angriff eingesetzt werden kann, bereits im Nachwuchs und im Profiteam des FC Energie. Kevin McKenna ist ebenfalls Kapitän der kanadischen Nationalmannschaft.

In den Mannschaftsrat des FC Energie berief Petrik Sander neben seinem neuen Kapitän auch die erfahrenen Energie-Profis Tomislav Piplica, Timo Rost und Steffen Baumgart.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I would think this cements him as the captain of the nats and as a starter.

What's with all your love lately for McK, Daniel? Did he show you why they call him Big Kev in Vienna?

Seriously though I am not yet convinced he is a definite starter as a defender for us though I do think his ball handling has improved a lot in the last year and maybe with a speedier central defence partner it could work. As I striker though he would probably be my first choice as target man unless Friend or Occean push him out of this role. On the other hand in defence we don't have a lot of other options but I would like to try a speedier defence pairing. I think from character he is a good captain but he still needs to cement his starting place on the team.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I liked what I saw against Austria, and I'm going against the semi hate-fest that had him (less now) pretty much off every lineup people were making when he's our captain.

I think semi-hate is a bit of an exageration as he is probably one of our most popular players but I think has not convinced everyone that he is a penciled in starter. He did have a good game in Vienna and as I said I think he has improved quite a bit technically recently. Yet he still is not fast and I find his positioning and anticipation sometimes a bit lacking for someone who is a slow defender. If he plays as defender in the BL1 this year we will see how he adapts to playing against far faster and trickier forwards than he saw in BL2. Maybe he will improve and become the DeVos replacement that we need. He may end up playing both for club and country as a forward because I think he is the only natural goal scorer I have seen for Canada in quite a while.

As far as being captain, it is not sure he will retain this position under the new trainer. I think Yallop was not particularly good in choosing his captains in that he chose two guys who should not have been definite starters (though Yallop treated them as such) and even replacing someone as captain who most definitely was a definite starter. I think McKenna is probably the best fit for captain personality and leadership wise but I don't think this is reason enough that someone should be given an automatic starting spot without earning it on the field. I hope he does earn it on the field. In addition to being a Canadian international he played on my favourite Scottish team and one of my favourite German teams which is my favourite team at the 1st BL level. Yet he still does make me nervous when he lines up as centre back. Hopefully he will improve as a defender and if he is not our number 1 option here can still be an effective striker for us. Incidentally, the captain decision on German clubs is usually a joint decision between the players and the coach so it is quite an honour to be chosen as it means you have the respect of both the coach and your teammates.

Archived