Canadian TV Deal for Toronto FC/MLS Games

quote:Originally posted by Metro

To echo what VIPjr said, TFC games could help promote soccer on CBC now that it has a partnership with FIFA. Also, now that CBC has lost the CFL, they have a hole in their Saturday night summer schedule.

Don't get me wrong; in a purely selfish way, I'd be more than happy if CBC picked it up. But they'd be opening themselves up to a whole lot of legitimate criticism from the McCown's of the world. Here, from a MacLean's article last year is the problem:

quote:Ralph Mellanby, who executive-produced HNIC for twenty years, says a change of networks would be good for (hockey), and ultimately the CBC. "I don't think the CBC should be involved in professional sports. It's not their mandate." Mellanby would like the network to refocus on amateur sports, and lesser international events like the Commonwealth Games. "The way things are now, they are only in it for the advertising dollars to support other programming," he says.
CBC Sports focus should be on promoting amateur sports with a national perspective. Using resources to broadcast a Toronto-based professional soccer team is completely at odds with that. HNIC gets a pass because it's more national in scope and because it funds CBC sports.

Selfishly, I have no problem with it. But I don't see how it makes sense, even given the possible benefits you mention.

Heres hoping that TSN does not get the deal. As much as we have liked to criticize Rogers Sportsnet, I have grown accustomed to their soccer coverage. In fact what I have recently seen and heard from TSN is regards to TFC, the Beckham signing etc has been extremely dissapointing. On the day of the Beckham signing, they gave the story the most minimal coverage by soliciting Vic Rauters opinion on the matter. His two minute contributions demonstated that he hasnt done much homework recently and you could you have probably gotten and better endorsement of the MLS from Dave Perkins. Doesnt sound like these guys are interested unless it old country stuff and full of hype.

Their work on the World cup was great but it comes to domestic soccer, I would rather Gerry Dobson than Vic Rauter.

Given that the number of Saturdays that the early HNIC game features any team but Toronto is pretty low, it seems to me that the CBC would not be too far out of its comfort zone promoting another professional sports team from Toronto.

I think TFC on CBC makes sense. They can get it cheaply and it works well with their existing soccer deal. The mothercorp will be hiring at least one soccer person regarding the future contract and this would be good practice for them in general prior to the big FIFA events. However, I don't expect them to want a lot of games -- maybe a half a dozen or so.

I suspect that one of the cable nets will go after another package of games. I could definitely see the Score putting together a deal that mostly relies on the feeds from American MLS regional broadcasts with a few in-house produced games. While not ideal, I'd be okay with watching the Houston Dynamo vs TFC from Fox Sports Net Texas or whatever their broadcaster is.

Jason

I do believe that CBC will have CFL football this year. The new TV deal starts in 2008. Also if CBC does pick up TFC then look for it on Country Canada. They have put Grand Slam Curling, Outdoor Lacrosse Championships and other sports specials on there. Sometimes a reapeat and also live. The best choice is like the Raptors TV deal have - TSN, Sportsnet, Score and Raptors TV splits the season and all the games are televised.

MLS also have a internet package that shows all games home and away, i do believe it was 29.95 or something like that.

Gerry Dobson does a fantastic job. He is by far the best host for soccer in this country, and is by far better than anyone we've had in the past.

Together with Craig Forrest, they need to be very close to Canadian soccer. What are the chances of them going with the soccer broadcasts to the CBC, maybe on a part-time basis (similar to Jim Hughson with HNIC)?

I recall MLS did have an a package where you could see a majority of the games, live via steaming video on their website. It was $20.00 US. I got it with about two months left in the 2006 season for $9.95 US. I am planning to get it again this year, so I can see the Toronto FC. The quality was pretty good. I definately enjoyed. Especially nice to watch on those lazy Saturday nights.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Problem is, I believe Gerry is also an executive with Sportsnet, and not just an on-air talent.

Maybe thepatriot can clear that up for us. Yoooohoooo, Mr. ThePatriot.....

Oppps.....Gerry is now the Soccer/Skiing/Golf host. David Akande is now running the news room at Sportsnet. Forrest is represented by IMG and will more than likely move to where the soccer lands....The Score, CBC, etc.....oh yeah Toronto FC is also in need of a backup keeper lol!