Toronto FC roster?

Juby

quote:Originally posted by Marc

When you put it that way, who else is there? If the team isn't for returning vets and the crea of the Canadians in the A-league...who is left?

how about some good young players that would play for a few years before going to europe. mls would be a step up for some of the guys on our u20 squad.

the first year will require them to take pretty much what they can get. i mean, really, look at how chivas and salt lake have begun their mls lives. if brennan, and maybe de vos return for a few seasons. great. the young up and comers will come through eventually. maybe 2-3 the first year? but right away the squad needs vets supporting any talented youngster they can find.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

how about some good young players that would play for a few years before going to europe. mls would be a step up for some of the guys on our u20 squad.

In that case, the team will get killed by the rest of the of the league. if there is one thing that I have learned from following the A-league over the past 5-6 years, besides the fact that there shortage in offensively gifted talent in the a-leauge, its that there ia a huge difference between an U20 player and a professional. A bunch of U20's playing against men will get killed. Granted, its important to ensure that any pro team properly groom these players and prepare them gardually so that they become solid proffesionals and internationals. But by the same token, there nothing gained by throwing them into the fire.

I have closely observed some of our past U20 players who have played in the A-league and I was quite surprised at how good they looked for our national side and yet when you see them on their a-league side, that cockinness is not present. they will get rid of the ball quicker and makes simpler play rather than the daring one. also, you see more mistakes from them when playing for their clubs.

Ali Gerba is an example of someone whom I have seen evolve into someone who is a U20 into a pro player. That doesn't mean that the pro clubs is better served by ignoring the U20. In fact i am not crazy about the idea of going exclusively with the reiable geezer either.

The big diff IMO between U20 and pros is confidence

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

So, in essence those would be a few NCAAers and the 'never-will-bes' from the A-League.

I think its a given that they should get as many national team players as possible. I can see any non-European member of the National Team coming on board. It should build some chemistry amoung the players as they play with eachother on a fulltime basis.

Outside of that, I would hope to see some players who are playing limited roles in Europe come back home to play as well.

I think that they should go after the best talent available that they can get whether they are young or old. They need to be competitive. Fans want to see a winner more than watching kids develop -- otherwise the Calgary Storm would still be alive today. The club drew well when it won in their PDL year, but when they went pro and had Hirschfeld, Ledgerwood, Gyaki, and Dutra among others and lost all the time they couldn't draw flies.

Tor FC should be able to pluck a few guys who have been in Europe for a while but don't have many appealing options like Brennan. I think he is a really likely choice. He probably could play in some mid-level Euro leagues but his chances for the big money is probably over. If it's a choice of English League 1, the Norwegian league or play in his hometown all roughly for the same pay I bet he goes with Toronto. Another example would be Reda.

I think that if a player is in already Europe with potential to move up in team and league quality (and pay), or if the player is established and not fading yet, we won't see them in MLS for a while. I fully expect to see DeVos play for Toronto, but not for a couple more years yet once his skills start to diminish and Ipswich doesn't want him anymore.

Jason

Which leagues in the world are competitive with the MLS in salary? What do our boys in holland and scandinavia get paid...is it realistic to expect to draw them back?

in england i found this:

The average basic annual Championship salary is now $341,O52 (195,750GBP), an increase of 53 per cent from six years ago.

The average yearly salary in League One is now $118,214 (67,850 GBP), and in League Two $86,422 (49,600 GBP).

here are MLS wages per player...the average is something like $80 000. (most of these guys will be getting paid more than the argo players)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/mls/longterm/2006/mls.salaries.html

quote:Originally posted by Jason

I think that they should go after the best talent available that they can get whether they are young or old. They need to be competitive. Fans want to see a winner more than watching kids develop -- otherwise the Calgary Storm would still be alive today. The club drew well when it won in their PDL year, but when they went pro and had Hirschfeld, Ledgerwood, Gyaki, and Dutra among others and lost all the time they couldn't draw flies.

FYI Brett Bachelu scored a golden goal on a feed from Kevin Holness to give Regina ACFC the Sask PSL title. [/threadjack]

I agree that early on TFC needs to focus on being successful more than any other consideration. Once they're a winning team they can worry about being a winning team while producing the next generation of great Canadian talent. Securing top young Canadian talent (and I mean young) would be great right now, but if they want to be competitive I think they will need to do things the way most other expansion teams do things, they will need a core group of players with MLS experience, many of them in the short term will probably be Americans, they will need to draft well and they will have to wisely adhere to a long term plan. I don't think that plan can be throwing money at numerous Canadian internationals. I just don't think it's realistic or feasible.

cheers,

matthew

How to build a Toronto FC roster:

1) Raid MLS for Canadians (would love DeRo - but doubt it)

2) Raid MLS for Americans(3) and other SIs

3) Raid USL1 for Canadians (Sutton for sure)

4) Find Canadians in Europe who can't move up (some in Norway)

5) If MLS raid fails, pay for 1-3 known Canadian vets from Europe

6) As usual, a couple of expensive old Euro-star has-beens to attract immigrant community

7) Fill in the rest with youth - NCAA draft + anyone useful at NTCs.

I know this sounds cold, but this is probably how they will do it. I would prefer skipping the "lets buy old Italian and Portuguese players to attract Eurosnob fans" strategy in favour of having higher quality Canadians on the team. I would also be more willing to accept a bad team for the first couple of years if it was full of young Canadians with promising futures. Since the MNT means the most to me, the extent of my interest in Toronto FC will be largely based on their impact on the MNT (hopefully positive), and their ability to develop Canadian youth players.

Are you on drugs?

Serioux is a 27 yrs old who just refind himself in the MLS and fans seems to appreciate him as a player. I would say that he's in his peak at the moment for 2-3 yrs.

Same thing for DeRo, 28 yrs old who was a candidate for MLS MVP just last year, I would say that he's still in his prime.

Brennan, 29 yrs old and might have a few years left.

To me an "has-been" is a 33+ yrs old who's going to play in the MLS for 1-2 yrs. Those 3 players can still give a some pretty quality years to Toronto FC (but I doubt Houston will let go DeRo and Serioux).

quote:Originally posted by Jason

otherwise the Calgary Storm would still be alive today. The club drew well when it won in their PDL year, but when they went pro and had Hirschfeld, Ledgerwood, Gyaki, and Dutra among others and lost all the time they couldn't draw flies.

Excellent example. Better than the example that I provided. There is the best proof that you cant depend on teenagers and expect to get decent results.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Are you on drugs?

yes

quote:

Serioux is a 27 yrs old who just refind himself in the MLS and fans seems to appreciate him as a player. I would say that he's in his peak at the moment for 2-3 yrs.

Same thing for DeRo, 28 yrs old who was a candidate for MLS MVP just last year, I would say that he's still in his prime.

Brennan, 29 yrs old and might have a few years left.

To me an "has-been" is a 33+ yrs old who's going to play in the MLS for 1-2 yrs. Those 3 players can still give a some pretty quality years to Toronto FC (but I doubt Houston will let go DeRo and Serioux).

im not saying they suck, just that their best days are behind them. serioux is not international quality, and the others are on their way out of the MNT. All these guys will be fine for Toronto FC. Its just that MLS was always billed as if it would contribute something positive to the MNT, and i just dont see that happening. MLS should be a springboard to bigger things for up and comers, not a place for misfit pros to continue to pick up a cheque as long as they can.

that said, i will be the first to buy a Toronto FC Brennan jersey.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

How to build a Toronto FC roster:

1) Raid MLS for Canadians (would love DeRo - but doubt it)

2) Raid MLS for Americans(3) and other SIs

3) Raid USL1 for Canadians (Sutton for sure)

4) Find Canadians in Europe who can't move up (some in Norway)

5) If MLS raid fails, pay for 1-3 known Canadian vets from Europe

6) As usual, a couple of expensive old Euro-star has-beens to attract immigrant community

7) Fill in the rest with youth - NCAA draft + anyone useful at NTCs.

I know this sounds cold, but this is probably how they will do it. I would prefer skipping the "lets buy old Italian and Portuguese players to attract Eurosnob fans" strategy in favour of having higher quality Canadians on the team. I would also be more willing to accept a bad team for the first couple of years if it was full of young Canadians with promising futures. Since the MNT means the most to me, the extent of my interest in Toronto FC will be largely based on their impact on the MNT (hopefully positive), and their ability to develop Canadian youth players.

I think it is inevitable that Toronto FC will get at least 2 or maybe even 3 aging Euro "name" players to cater the big ethnic communities in TO. I would think an Italian player is almost a certainty.

Jason

Archived