To: Cary Kaplan -- CSL stadia strategy

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Mr. Commissioner, I was wondering if your league is seriously planning to use the following stadiums for next year: New Varsity Stadium, NSS, and Lamport Stadium. Is your league in open discussions with the officials of these stadiums.

I was asking the same questions in my last post in the "Canadian League Ideas" thread. No response yet.

Luis/Kas,

Good question.

1. As to NSS, we have not had any formal discussions in this direction although we have spoke to MLSE in general terms, and hope to work together. While the cost for a league team to play their games at NSS may be cost prohibitive, we like the option to put some larger games there (All-Star for instance), and hope to be able to do that.

2. The re-opening of Varsity Stadium is great. The CSL will be meeting with Varsity in the next couple weeks, and expect - to have several games there next season and perhaps a franchise or two using at is their home facility.

3. The concept of fixing Lamport is and has been for many years an option. The $1 Million price tag is however at this point not something the league is willing to address to resurface the facility at this time. Although, we think long term this is a good investment for the City. If we found willing partners, that would help address the financial burden, we would pursue this type of partnerships. At present, the playing surface is unsafe, and we are reluctant to use the ground very often.

I know the answers were vague, but I hope accurate.

Cary Kaplan

Commissioner

CSL

quote:Originally posted by CSL Commissioner

While the cost for a league team to play their games at NSS may be cost prohibitive, we like the option to put some larger games there (All-Star for instance), and hope to be able to do that.

Just out of curiousity, how much will it cost to rent the NSS for a game?

quote:

2. The re-opening of Varsity Stadium is great. The CSL will be meeting with Varsity in the next couple weeks, and expect - to have several games there next season and perhaps a franchise or two using at is their home facility.

To follow the question above, what do you anticipate the rental rate being for Varsity?

quote:

3. The concept of fixing Lamport is and has been for many years an option. The $1 Million price tag is however at this point not something the league is willing to address to resurface the facility at this time. Although, we think long term this is a good investment for the City. If we found willing partners, that would help address the financial burden, we would pursue this type of partnerships. At present, the playing surface is unsafe, and we are reluctant to use the ground very often.

Is the $1M tag just to bring in new plastic? I believe that Field Turf does it for a bit less. Is the narrowness of the field and the walls a safety concern? Are there any other improvements that you would like to see at Lamport?

quote:Originally posted by KAS

Is the $1M tag just to bring in new plastic? I believe that Field Turf does it for a bit less. Is the narrowness of the field and the walls a safety concern? Are there any other improvements that you would like to see at Lamport?

Is Lamport still be used for Field Hockey? In the past, the Field Hockey lobby has been dead set against a more grass-like surface at Lamport as it really does kill the speed of that game. Astroturf was the best thing that ever happened to Field Hockey.

db

Archived