Yallop Article with News on Brennan, Jazic, Kenned

Grizzly

YALLOP NOT DONE SHOPPING

Galaxy coach pondering moves

By Luis Bueno

LASoccerNews.com Editor

Galaxy coach Frank Yallop said he was not done dealing.

Photo by Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images

CARSON, Calif. – Since Frank Yallop took over as Galaxy coach on June 7, the Galaxy roster has slowly taken new form.

Yallop has parted way with five players, including Todd Dunivant, a key player from last year’s championship team.

The roster will continue to change over the coming weeks, Yallop said.

“We’re working on a lot of stuff at the moment to better the team and make it stronger,” Yallop said. “When you’re going searching you’re the one that is usually at a disadvantage. Having said that, I’m hoping to make some moves soon.”

Making moves, however, is not simple, something Yallop has learned the hard way.

“It’s not that easy. They want your best players and you want someone who’s not maybe in their plans,” Yallop said. “When you’re going after players, they want Landon (Donovan) and people like that. There is no chance of that.”

Yallop declined to say what positions he was looking to upgrade but has said in the past that the club needed to improve across the board. A few players who Yallop had looked at still remain in the picture on some level.

Ante Jazic needs only to receive his work permit to officially join the Galaxy and will contend for the left back spot once that happens. Yallop said Jazic could be on the roster on Aug. 9, the Galaxy’s next match.

Former Swindon Town midfielder Stefani Miglioranzi is also still in the plans.

“He’s still around. He’s still on the radar at the moment,” Yallop said. “With all the other moves we’ve got going on, we’re trying to work out what the best deal is and what salary cap situation is. These things are ongoing. Alexi is working on that one so sometime soon we’ll have a real answer.”

Evans Wise, who played in the Galaxy’s friendly against Necaxa on Aug. 12, is no longer in the Galaxy’s plans, but Kennedy Owusu-Ansah is to a certain extent.

“Young Kennedy is but he’s only 16,” Yallop said. “It’s not easy to sign these guys, especially a foreign player at 16 years old. We’ll keep an eye on him and hopefully sometime down the line we can sign these types of players.”

Canadian national team midfielder Jim Brennan is not in Yallop’s plans. Like Jazic, Brennan is out of contract. Brennan spent time with Southampton and Norwich but Yallop said Brennan is on another MLS club’s plans.

“It’s another foreign spot and I think Toronto are trying to sign him pretty strongly,” Yallop said.

One type of move is simple to make. Yallop said if a player is unhappy and wants to move on, he would accommodate him.

“The reason I move players is for them to excel when they go somewhere else, i.e. Marc Burch who did well against us,” Yallop said of the now Columbus Crew player. “Marc wasn’t happy here and I have to make sure that I take care of the team that is here and the players who are going to stay here. Anyone who isn’t happy and comes to see me and wants to go, I’ll do my best to move them on as long as it’s not going to hurt us too much.”

Another article on Yallop that pretty much puts to rest any theories he was pushed out by the CSA or left in protest of a lack of friendlies. Again some of the positives attributed to him at the club level don't seem to mesh with his national team efforts. I never had the impression he was making every effort to scout players and keep on top of everything the way he appears to be doing in LA. As national team coach he was anything but fair/unbiased in his player selection as his club players claim. Maybe he is just someone who is good club coach but totally unsuited to be a national team coach.

Entering a new Galaxy

Yallop has launched big turnaround

By Larry Morgan Staff Writer

CARSON - Galaxy coach Frank Yallop scored the only goal of his Major League Soccer career as a member of the Tampa Bay Mutiny in a game against the Miami Fusion on Sept. 27, 1998.

There appears to be some dispute about who was defending him that day.

Galaxy defender Tyrone Marshall insists it wasn't him, even though Marshall was a member of the Fusion that season. Yallop jokingly will tell you he easily moved around Marshall on that historic play and scored into the corner of the net.

"No chance," Marshall said with a laugh. "We can get the tapes if you want. That guy didn't score on me."

Perhaps there is a good-natured debate about who was the victim that day, but there is no disputing Yallop's impact on the Galaxy since he took over for Steve Sampson as the team's head coach in early June.

The defending MLS and U.S. Open Cup champions, previously thought to have no chance at making the playoffs, still are just 5-10-5 but are now only five points out of the last playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Galaxy has not lost in its last six games and has outscored its opponents 6-1 during that stretch.

"There are still a lot of games to go," said Yallop, whose record is 3-2-4. "But it's a great start for the team."

The Galaxy's Landon Donovan was in Germany with the U.S. national team for the recently concluded World Cup when he got word that Yallop had taken over. Donovan played three seasons for Yallop in San Jose, which won two MLS championships with him, and knew the Galaxy would benefit from the new coach's tutelage.

"For a long time, (teammate) Chris (Albright) had asked me about him," Donovan said. "He kept saying, `How good can this guy be?' When I got back, all I heard from everybody was ... `This guy's great.' You have to work hard to get the most out of guys, and Frank does. It's an art ... either you have it or you don't, and Frank has it.

"He's someone you want to play for."

Sampson, who was replaced by Yallop on June 7, took more of a heavy-handed approach and left nothing to chance. Galaxy road trips often included workouts in that city the day the team arrived. Sampson also had his players either lift weights or run on a treadmill after every home game.

Yallop, on the other hand, has no curfew on the road, simply tells his players to prepare themselves for the game at hand and has eliminated postgame workouts. Players say he treats them like men, and they have responded with a six-game unbeaten streak that included a 521-minute stretch without allowing a goal.

Yallop also has given a number of lesser-known players another chance.

Josh Gardner, arguably the Galaxy's best player during the preseason, had a difficult time in the regular-season opener against New England Revolution and was banished to the bench. Yallop returned him to the lineup, and the three-year veteran is blossoming on the left side of midfield.

Quavas Kirk, an 18-year-old long forgotten in Sampson's old regime, has been one of this season's surprises in midfield.

"He's a fair coach," striker Alan Gordon said. "One hundred percent fair. At some point along the line, he tells everybody to be ready because you never know when you're going to be called upon, and he really means it."

The 42-year-old Yallop admitted the Galaxy appeared to have lost some confidence when he took the job, but he also said it didn't take him long to say yes to general manager Alexi Lalas' offer.

Yallop had been coach of the Canadian national team since leaving the Earthquakes following the 2003 season and missed the day-to-day grind. He was rumored to be in the running for the expansion Toronto franchise, but he said it "didn't feel right." Everything about the Galaxy did, however.

"I think any coach would (want) to play in a stadium like this or work in a facility like this with a good group of players. It would be foolish to say you didn't want to do it," Yallop said. "When I got the phone call about the job, it was difficult to turn it down. Getting back with a guy like Landon made it easy, too, but as soon as it became available, I said, `I've got to take it.'

"I didn't want anyone else to get it."

Yallop was on the job for one day when he coached in his first game with the Galaxy, a 2-1 loss to Chivas USA on June 8. But a late goal in a 1-1 tie with MLS powerhouse D.C. United three days later led him to believe there still was hope for the season.

"I think he's done a great job," said Cobi Jones, now in his 11th season. "He had a great track record of turning San Jose around, and he does a great job of getting people to do what they're supposed to do."

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

"...Yallop said Brennan is on another MLS club’s plans..."

What I'm curious to know here which club in MLS is expressing interest in Jim Brennan.

The very next sentence is: “It’s another foreign spot and I think Toronto are trying to sign him pretty strongly,” Yallop said.

So there you go.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The very next sentence is: “It’s another foreign spot and I think Toronto are trying to sign him pretty strongly,” Yallop said.

So there you go.

So there we go where? If it is a foreign spot it is not Toronto. Unless you've separated from the country Brennan plays for.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

So there you go.

So there we go where? If it is a foreign spot it is not Toronto. Unless you've separated from the country Brennan plays for.

I think Yallop was saying "It (frees up) another foreign spot†or he takes up “another foreign spot" Not that Brennan is going to a US team.

Who exactly at TFC headquarters would be trying to sign him? Do they have a lot of infrastrcture and just haven't announced it or is this higher ups trying to sign someone without a GM or playing staff in place. I hope for their sake they have scouting staff in place watching as many MLS games as possible this season . . .

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

In any case Yallop's comment's as quoted make no sense. Brennan is only a foreigner for US MLS teams, and if he's out of a club, could sign for one as a foreigner.

Since MLS does the signing perhaps the idea is that they hire him now for another side and allocate him to the TO team next year.

Guest Jeffery S.

In any case Yallop's comment's as quoted make no sense. Brennan is only a foreigner for US MLS teams, and if he's out of a club, could sign for one as a foreigner.

Since MLS does the signing perhaps the idea is that they hire him now for another side and allocate him to the TO team next year.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

Brennan will be suiting up for Toronto FC. It's not just a rumour....it's a fact.

So before you name the coach and the technical staff, you have signed a player? That is a good way to start. Or is Brennan a cousin of someone on the club's board?

Archived