Good Soccer Quotes

Cheeta

Topic

woolyback

edmonton

Cayman Islands

2 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 : 14:50:06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Soccer must truly be a great game to survive the fools who run it"

Woolyback 2006 A.D.

Desigol

Back in Tyrone

Ireland

956 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 : 17:26:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw!"

Kevin Keegan.

woolyback

edmonton

Cayman Islands

2 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 : 09:07:15

" Football is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important than that "

Bill Shankly the best ever.

Juby

Kingston

Canada

91 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 : 15:06:17

"I smoke Rocks"

Maradona and robbie fowler

bettermirror

Fraser Valley

Canada

1282 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 : 16:07:56

"do you want your pizza cut in 8 slices or 4?"

"better make it 4, i ain't hungry enough to eat 8."

-robbie savage.

Massive Attack

The City Above Toronto

Canada

2146 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 : 16:08:44

quote:

Originally posted by bettermirror

"do you want your pizza cut in 8 slices or 4?"

"better make it 4, i ain't hungry enough to eat 8."

-robbie savage.

Um, that's a Yogi Berra quote.

The Ref

western

Canada

1008 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 : 16:42:56

If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.

David Coleman

canso

875 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 : 17:31:18

"They were really hoping to get three points from this game, maybe more."

Gareth Southgate

Luis_Rancagua

Toronto

Canada

1059 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 : 18:02:32

"...I'm glad the Blizzard lost. I've always hated this club. I'm going to sue the city of Toronto for what they did to me..."

These comments were said by Chicago striker Karl-Heinz Granitza who was assaulted by Toronto Blizzard fans after the ref blew the whistle, ending the last-and-final Soccer Bowl (1984).

Edited by - Luis_Rancagua on 07/27/2006 18:03:45

<Mod>

Methinks this is a more appropriate are for this topic. Soooo here we are. No one yell at me...

</Mod>

Cheeta

Never saw that Granitza quote about getting knocked after the last NASL match ever at Varsity.

I'd always heard that he was decked by one of the Blizzard players.

Now, certainly Granitza didn't deserve to be belted unconscious but he really was the NASL's all time dive leader.

db

• 4 months later...

(Rodney) Marsh made his England debut against Switzerland in 1971 and won a total of nine caps, scoring one goal, which came in a 3-0 victory over Wales. His career with the national team was ended prematurely after he made a sarcastic comment to the then manager, Alf Ramsey. In a 2005 interview, Marsh stated that Ramsey told him ‘I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime," to which Marsh replied: “Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea.”. He was never selected for the England team again.

Nobody's brought up Gordon Strachan yet? From Wikipedia....

On Agustin Delgado

I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

On Wayne Rooney

It's an incredible rise to stardom. At 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson.

Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?

Strachan: I don't care, I'm Scottish.

Reporter: Gordon, can we have a quick word please?

Strachan: Velocity.

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?

Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?

Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?

Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?

Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?

Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?

Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe! jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?

Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?

Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?

Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?

Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there....

I also remember reading he was doing commentary for an England match and at the half, I believe Gary Lineker asked him what he would do if he was an Englishman. Strachan replied he'd shoot himself.

• 2 weeks later...

BBC always has some great quotes and chants on their site...

"Tourette's Syndrome is not suppose to be contagious but after Taylor's shot flew over Tim Howard's head, 20,000 people said '**** me!'" Sun reporter Dave Kidd after Matt Taylor's wonder goal for Portsmouth against Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard, who suffers from Tourette's. (Conrad Edkins, England).

Was a grand goal though. The nerve...

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

"It was with a homosexual, I was barely 14 years old. But let's be fair, I wasn't the only one who did it. He was a man in Bauru that all our team visited."

- Pele on losing his virginity

WTF is this???

Not much to go by online except the quote in and of itself. Apparently it comes from an interview he once did in a Colombian magazine called New Stage. No link or backup.

Archived