Future of the Toronto Lynx

A couple people have basically said, "it's so bad, it can't get worse". While true, the issue is what the Lynx plans were. What I mean is, they claim to lose about $500 000 a year. It seems like their plan always was that somebody was going to build them a stadium and then somehow fans would magically appear.

Are they going to continue losing $500 000 a year? To finish in last place in D1? If they want to stay in Toronto and run their camps and youth teams, then a PDL team makes much more sense, as most of the people that will go to their games won't know the difference.

I think the Lynx would be a great fit in the USL Div 2. that way they can still play with most of the players they have now and they will still get their low attendence rating and it will not hurt them. the Lynx could be could in the USL Div 2 because they will not lose as much money and the caliber of play is not as great as the Div 1

I think the Lynx would be a great fit in the USL Div 2. that way they can still play with most of the players they have now and they will still get their low attendence rating and it will not hurt them. the Lynx could be could in the USL Div 2 because they will not lose as much money and the caliber of play is not as great as the Div 1 play is.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

some might argue the true fans are the ones who go see the lynx play. is it a true fan who holds out for the best or the true fan who simply supports their local team? i'd say the true fans are the ones already in attendance at the match, and it will be the "fake" fans who make up the remainder of TFC's

In Europe, you'd be right. In the A-League, or at least in Toronto, it's not like that. True fans number about 50 and they're not showing up any longer. The child to adult ratio at Lynx games is like 25:1.

quote:

Those who attend the camps run by the Lynx will attend the camps run by TFC. They'll want to play with the best possible.

The vast majority of the camps are low-budget and not elite level. MLS will scoop some of the youth market but youth camps are an aside for the MLS. For the Lynx it's their sole purpose. The Lynx will run their organization around the youth camps. Will Jim Brennan make an apperance at a kids camp? He sure will. Will he and the other MLS players average two camps a week? No. You know what I'm saying? Plus, there isn't the soccer awareness there for the kids that will make them want to ditch the Lynx coaching for the MLS. MLS just doesn't have that history yet, and for the most part the kids are too young or too houseleague to have that need/awareness.

Anyway, obviously we're going to just have to agree to disagree, and believe me I hear you on these issues. For any other team you'd be dead on but the Lynx are in a pretty 'unique' situation. (And that's not necessarily a good thing.)

quote:Originally posted by Elias

A couple people have basically said, "it's so bad, it can't get worse". While true, the issue is what the Lynx plans were. What I mean is, they claim to lose about $500 000 a year. It seems like their plan always was that somebody was going to build them a stadium and then somehow fans would magically appear.

Are they going to continue losing $500 000 a year? To finish in last place in D1? If they want to stay in Toronto and run their camps and youth teams, then a PDL team makes much more sense, as most of the people that will go to their games won't know the difference.

Good point on the final paragraph. That might be an option, though they've been happy to suck for so long in the A-league... As for the losses, well, they've been disputed. I don't know the real numbers though.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

some might argue the true fans are the ones who go see the lynx play. is it a true fan who holds out for the best or the true fan who simply supports their local team? i'd say the true fans are the ones already in attendance at the match, and it will be the "fake" fans who make up the remainder of TFC's

WOW!!!

Truely said like someone from out west who's never been to a Lynx home game. Listen, I used to PAY MONEY (which virtually no one does) to watch my local CPSL team (when we had one). Let me repeat that: PAY MONEY TO WATCH CPSL GAMES!!!!

I have been to exactly one Toronto Lynx game in my life. They were playing the Impact, it counted for the V.Cup and I thought it might be fun. I HAVE NEVER FELT MORE INSULTED IN MY LIFE. The Lynx do not market soccer; they market glorified baby-sitting!

I've already put a deposit on TFC tickets. I will continue to support any non-ethnic CSL team that sets up in Hamilton or Burlington. I will never again attend a Lynx match.

Next time, before you get sanctimonious, try to actually understand the situation you're commenting on.

Mike.

Archived