C.S.L.Week 11

St. Catharines Wolves 1, North York Astros 0

Penalty victory for Wolves

A desperate challenge in the penalty box by North York Astros’ defender Kurt Ramsey as St. Catharines’ forward Carlo Argittu was closing in on goal resulted in a penalty kick which proved to be the only difference between two evenly match teams in a 1-0 Wolves win at Club Roma, St. Catharines, the only game scheduled in the Canadian Soccer League Wednesday.

Wolves defender Matt Waddington made no mistake with this one opportunity and slotted the ball past Astros’ goalkeeper Arthur Zalavski at the 78th minute mark.

It was the double for St. Catharines which defeated the North York side by a more decisive 4-1 score at Esther Shiner Stadium last Sunday.

Wednesday’s win moves the Garden City team closer to the top with a 4-4-3 WLT record for 15 points and third place in the National Division. North York Astros have 2-5-4 record for 10 points in sixth place.

quote:Originally posted by CSL Commissioner

Soccerman2 and Rocket Robin,

Thank you for the excellent job of keeping the soccer world updated on the Canadian Soccer League.

Keep up the great work.

Cary Kaplan

Commissioner

Canadian Soccer League

Thank you Mr.Kaplan..Rocket Robin has been doing it better and longer than I have... Keep it up Rocket.

Yikes. Fan mail! Well here's one of tonight's games...

Result of the Friday July 28th, 2006 CSL game between Toronto Croatia and Toronto Supra Portuguese played at Memorial Park in Streetsville at 8:00pm.

11 min…Toronto Croatia Peter Curic GOAL…TC Velemir Crljen 25 yard freekick from near right sideline has Curic leap to head 8 yarder from center to right side of net under bar. (Good to be so much taller than the defenders!).

30 min…Toronto Croatia RED card…Caswain Mason earns his second Yellow card for sliding tackle on TSP Adolfo Mella in center circle. Referee Michael Roecken gave him his first 9 minutes earlier for pushing a player over.

38 min…Toronto Supra Portuguese RED card…Fabio Silva earns his second Yellow card for hip check on TC Peter Curic near center circle.

47 min…Toronto Croatia Boris Tomac GOAL…Tomac runs up middle and his 22 yard shot rings off inside left post beyond flying goalie Michael Silva.

60 min…Toronto Croatia Tommy Ples GOAL…TC Boris Tomac rush on right and cross into box where diving Ples from middle nods 5 yard header into left side of net.

65 min…TC Tommy Ples earns a Penalty kick when he’s knocked over in box although the cross from the right was well over his head.

66 min…Toronto Croatia Antonijo Zupan GOAL…Zupan’s penalty kick is low and just inside left post as the goalie crumples on right side.

87 min…Toronto Croatia Tommy Ples GOAL…TC Goran Grubesic chips ball from 25 yards up the middle and Ples pops 12 yard header over goalie into open center of net.

89 min…Toronto Supra Portuguese Andrew Silva GOAL…Silva gets short cross pass in box and his low 6 yard shot to left corner of net beyond goalie George Azcurra.

Final Score:………Toronto Croatia………5…………Toronto Supra Portuguese………1………..

Attendance was about 100 on this very hot and humid evening. The field got pretty choppy by the start of the second half with the players stomping through the wet grass after this morning’s rain.

The game started off rough with a number of cards given out. TSP Adolfo Mella infuriated the Croatia players by baiting them into Yellow cards and they say, by diving. With Croatia down to ten men, TSP Fabio Silva earned a Yellow card for diving when he ran up to TC Velemir Crljen who already had a Yellow card and fell over as if Crljen had smashed him. Referee Michael Roecken saw through that. It seemed like justice when Silva earned another Yellow just six minutes later and it evened the teams. Playing one man down or even ten aside doesn’t make much difference on the tiny Memorial Park field.

Supra only looked good in that brief time when they were a man up. Toronto Croatia otherwise controlled the play and right from the beginning and goalie George Azcurra didn’t have much to do except slide out a few times to gather up through balls before TSP players could get to them and an important save at 26 minutes when he dove to the left to push TSP Uarlem Castro’s low 20 yard blast wide of the net.

Toronto Croatia starting forwards Peter Curic and Boris Maric had better games than the two I saw them in last weekend against Caribbean Selects when they missed some real sitters. The win was costly for Toronto Croatia in that at 83 minutes, a TC rush into the TSP box resulted in a multi-man collision with Jure Pavic being badly hurt with a leg injury. He had to be carried off the field to the sidelines for treatment and after the game was over, he had to be carried off the field to the dressing room.

Toronto Croatia with the win stays one point ahead of Serbian White Eagles in the International Division who also won tonight. White Eagles have a few games in hand. Supra remain the only team that hasn’t won this year although they’ve had five ties from early in the season. Toronto Croatia has a special exhibition game on Wednesday August 2nd at Memorial Park at 8:00pm against Santa Clara of the Portuguese Second Division. From what I heard, Brampton Stallions beat Santa Clara 2-1 earlier in the week in front of an all-Santa Clara crowd in Brampton. Santa Clara was over here this May and played two CSL teams on that tour.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

London City 2, Windsor Border Stars 0

In London, City looked strong in defeating second place Windsor Border Stars, 2-0.

London City handed Windsor Border Stars a set-back in the border team’s bid for the top position in the National Division, a 2-0 shutout while full marks for the win. Marco Peeters opened the scoring for the City at the 50th minute mark following a scoreless first half, and Johan Wikman made sure of the three points with the second goal at 69 minutes. London improve to 2-6-5 for 11 points, while Windsor sits on a 4-3-4 record and 16 points, good for second place.

BLUE DEVILS, BORDER STARS TIE 1-1

Saturday - July 29, 2006

Dynamites down Shooters

Oakville Blue Devils maintained a four point lead over Windsor Border Stars in the National Division standings following a 1-1 tie between these two teams at Windsor Stadium Saturday and in one other game played in the Canadian Soccer League, Laval Dynamites shutout Italia Shooters 2-0 at The Soccer Centre in Vaughan.

It was a close contest in the fight for top position between leading Oakville and Windsor Border Stars and the Blue Devils took the lead at the 33rd minute when Miles O’Connor found the net. Border Stars tied the game 10 minutes later on a goal by defender Mark Favaro and that led to an end-to-end second half with the visitors coming close several times, particularly on good efforts by midfielders Sam Hassam and Andy Garcia that brought good saves from Anthony Santilli in the Windsor goal.

Oakville now have a 6-3-3 WLT record for 21 points at the top of the National Division, with Border Stars trailing by four points with a 4-3-5 record.

Laval were impressive in defeating Italia Shooters at The Soccer Centre and it was a goal by Vladimir Edouard who struck from 20 yards at the 37th minute mark to give the Quebec team the lead. This held up until almost the final whistle when with Italia goalkeeper Camilo Benzi out of his goal while attempting to mount an attack for an equalizer, Laval midfielder Leo Incollingo scored a second goal for a 2-0 final score.

Les Dynamites improve to a 4-4-4 record for 16 points and are now third in the National Division, while Italia Shooters are at 4-4-3 for 15 points and third position in the International Division.

quote:Originally posted by thunderguy

It is my understanding that the Windsor-Oakville game report above and on the CPSL/CSL website is slightly inaccurate. The scoring all happened in the second half so add 45 minutes to each of the goal times.

Goals were in the second half.

Windsor missed a number of chances, particularly in the second half even having one goal called back. When Windsor rounds up all their players for a game they are reasonably decent.

Oakville took charge after they scored pressing Santilli (made two or three outstanding saves) but saw the win slip away with a sloppy late game goal by Windsor.

Attendance 250 - 350 (temperature 92 degrees and humid at game time)

Fun game to watch.

It is my understanding that the Windsor-Oakville game report above and on the CPSL/CSL website is slightly inaccurate. The scoring all happened in the second half so add 45 minutes to each of the goal times.

You're absolutely right.I apologize for posting inaccurate articles. I will do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

You're absolutely right.I apologize for posting inaccurate articles. I will do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

quote:Originally posted by soccerman2

There was one game in the CSL tonight:

Serbian White Eagles 8, St. Catharines Wolves 0

I was at this game. Wanted to see the White Eagles play. Wolves were just not in the same class. If I counted correctly, Gabriel Pop scored 5 goals. Sasa Viciknez scored 2 quality goals. Former Lynx top scorer and tier 2 Norwegian player Nik Budalic played a central midfield role and wasn't overly involved. U20 National team pool player Alex Braletic looked good on left wing. Skilled and quick, he set up a couple of the goals. Maybe Dale should give him another look. I'll guess attendance was about 400, couldn't count it so that says something!

Archived