Steve Nash" throws" a challenge at the Voyageurs

john tv

I was reading a comment by Steve Nash in the Globe Julu 21,06

The article was called 7 questions,

one of the questions was,

You are a big English soccer fan,

If you could trade in everything you have gained from basketball to suit up once for Tottenham Hotspur,would you do it?

The answer would be yes,just because the grass is always greener.I love playing basketball,but the one thing about soccer is the fans.It's a totally different atmosphere than American sports or the NBA.The tradition there being so vocal-with the singing and the chanting -it gives you the goose bumps.It's the one thing I whish I could experience.

Steve was rated by Time Magazine as one of the most 100 influencial people in the world.

I really hope that influence will be the biggest among us Voyageurs to motivate all of us to bring that soccer atmosphere in our new stdium.

Guys we must accomplish this,it's vital.

Having done this stuff more than anyone else, I would suggest to the Toronto F.C team to organize a celebrity game with Steve Nash as part of the opening ceremonies and get the Voyageurs to fullfill his " biggest" whish.

Oops of course, if the two brothers play in the celebrity game and join us all in the Voyageurs section for the main event we can than make them honourable Voyageurs.

It will be a blast guys, just get these songs going now!

Could be a blast,just imagine the Maple leaf Management owned buy the same guys could make this celebrity game a memorable event.I spoke to Sundin and he loves playing soccer as wel as Nick A, forgot the spelling of his name who played soccer for his country.Throw in Federer and Nadal,hey the Canadian Open is on at that time. Do you think that there will be some Jays that may want to play,or that new Italian guy, must be a soccer player.Oh ja throw in Sinclair and Karen and we would have really something to sing about and you know someting guys I could pull it of done it and been there except that singing never managed that. We had no Voyageurs at that time, so here you come in, sing and celebrate your hearts out and get it out of your system. it will be one of the most amazing days in Canadian sports.

I guess my enthoudiasm does not turn anyone on. Oh well I will keep on fighting and maybe one day the whole world will ,ok never mind guys,I am way ahead and i can't blame you.

There must be someone who must diasagree or even like the idea I suppose.Anyone out there?

What response do you want exactly? The people here already have songs and do cheer. I'm the biggest swear yeller, or I mean song singer I know at the games living rooms and pubs I attend. Following Canadian soccer fills us all with enough twisted anger to blow the drunken roof off a stadium, so I'll gladly hypothetically come cheer at your hypothetical soccer event any hypothetical time. As an aside the Rah Rah Radzinski Canada's greatest goal machine chant I picked up here is an instant hit with a Fulham season ticket holder I've met and he's going to try and get it going in London. Seems they've just been chanting his name all along.

What Steve was talking about was the atmosphere that exist in the soccer stands in Europe. He said that this is not equaled by any other sport in North America and that includes the NBA. I suppose he was very whishfully thinking that this would happen in North America one day.That's the challenge to us guys.This is were we come into the picture. I don't suppose there is another group like ours in soccer in Canada, so we are it. We must find a way to create this atmosphere in Canada and than we will all finally task the real power of soccer.How about the creation of a legacy. Hey it's the only sport were we really use our feet and that alone is full of messages,sort of a celebration I guess.

It's a shame that none of you realized the challenge and even litle cry from Steve to get this thing going. In fact i am sort of devastated that you guys did not realize the immense opportunity Steve was handing all of us. Than i have to read foul mouth who probably is g.man's response. gentlemen we are the future of the succes of Canadian soccer without the fans ,the game will never be succesfull. It's all about the fans. If Steve, who knows a lot more than anyone of you makes that statement we should listen, pay attention and decide what to do.Again and agisn guys we must transform that stadium into what works big time in Europe and the rest of the world. we must be the same and we must adopt that attitude. If not it won't work. Soccer is extremely magic and it demands that attention. Go so and so go does not work. soccer is extremely emotional and extremely human and is second to none. We must realize that we have the opportunity to make some great changes in our soccer world and ths is simply the only way,called heart and sole to the extreme. Believe me I know very well!

This is what I see in this thread.

"Hey everyone! Steve Nash challenged everyone on this board but not me to make a plan and take initiative and do something to improve stadium atmosphere! I won't lay out any ideas for how to do this, so you won't either, then I'll call you losers!"

Great thread, agree with the 11 star rating. I have a few more comments though. The Voyageurs do cheer at games and have banners, other Canadians don't. How can the Voyageurs force other Canadians to join in? They can't. Some people will see what's up, if they like it they'll join in. Canada starts winning some important games, the Voyageurs cheer more, more people join in the cheering, and so on. Canadian soccer right now is a restaurant with $hitty food. We can beg people to eat here and make them puke, or we can wait for the food to get better.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I guess you are all loosers,god help soccer in Canada!

Sweet Jumpin' Jeebus on a pogo stick-and you claim to have worked in PR?

quote:"Hey everyone! Steve Nash challenged everyone on this board but not me to make a plan and take initiative and do something to improve stadium atmosphere! I won't lay out any ideas for how to do this, so you won't either, then I'll call you losers!"

Amen.

It seems that the Voyageurs are the least united group of soccer supporters, just reading all the various comments and certainly reactions.

I was hoping that there was a common denominator that would unite us and would generate the enthousiasm that is so needed.I became fully aware of our deversity at the various meetings and realized that we have a bunch of prima donnas.I still keep on trying to find "that thing" and thought that Steve "wonder" would just do that and give us that motivation.

I guess it is going to take a bunch of meetings where strategies will be spilled out and this singing will be on top of the agenda.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Damn, we should totally have thread ratings, so I could give this one 10, no wait, 11 stars.

"Why not just have a top rating of ten stars and make a ten-star rating the best?"

"Well... this one goes to eleven."

Archived