Kaylyn Kyle Chooses CIS

Gordon

Interesting Note, Canadian U-20 player Kaylyn Kyle from Saskatoon has chosen to play with the University of Saskatchewan Huskies despite being recruited by a reported 34 US colleges. She feels that training with the National Team Program is just as strong an option as NCAA in terms of her development as a player.

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard though the grape vine she barely passed high school and could not pass a US entrance exam(at least twice) and that she is not really going to the U of Sask but is attending some bogus off shoot extension of the university at Mount Royal High School.

I have heard though the grape vine she barely passed high school and could not pass a US entrance exam(at least twice) and that she is not really going to the U of Sask but is attending some bogus off shoot extension of the university at Mount Royal High School.

to play for the university of saskatchewan you have to have certain marks and certain be a full time student. dez scott is going to university of manitoba and she had the grades to go to the states. people are realizing that CIS is getting alot better and with players like these committing to CIS, makes the cis even better.

• 1 month later...

In order to play for colleges in the U.S you have to pass the S.A.T's. Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves took the test twice and failed both times and couldnt get into a U.S college. Canadian universities have no such entrance exam. You can get in some universities with academic averages in the 60's.

Canadian University soccer is still along way from Div. I NCAA. Maybe closer at the women's level. Perhaps at weaker Div II teams. U of Manitoba women defeated U of North Dakota a weak Div II team in a preseason game 5 - 2.

Of more concern is UBC's application for NCAA Div I Status. Will any other Canadian Universities follow their lead if the application is granted?

Not a chance UBC will be granted entrance in the NCAA for numerous reasons. The amount of money required for a divison 1A program is out of this world. Plus does UBC have NCAA quality facilites ie a 60,000 seat football stadium. UBC's teams would be absolutly pounded by opposition the first few years. Theyd most likely play in the WAC which doesnt have a hockey league, so bye bye UBC hockey. There are a lot of compliance issues minimum standards UBC would have to get in line with before consideration.

To Soccerpro

Is your response based on established facts or speculation. I will try to find the website later which discussed this issue, but it was mentioned that if Div II status was granted instead of Div I that UBC could still compete in 4 Div I sports. There are independent schools in the US College system so lack of a conference is not a deterance to membership. The University of North Dakota is a Div II school that competes in Div I for hockey. North Dakota State recently went to Div I and does not have anywhere near a 60 000 seat football stadium. The only stumbling block that was mentioned by the article I read was whether the NCAA wanted to expand out of the US. I would be interested if other out there have heard anything. I think UBC could compete very well in men and women's hockey, men and women's volleyball and women's soccer.

UBC staff have done their homework on the implications of joining the NCAA, they are not dummies. This has been kicking around for years. The NCAA will have to change its rules/constitution to allow a non-USA school into its ranks which is the main stumbling block. There was a vote at an annual general meeting of the NCAA a year or two back on UBC's application and it was voted down. Even if the NCAA eventually agrees it will be some years before any UBC teams compete.

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=4bcb77e5-b379-4e18-8a33-578138b9eba7

I'm not sure what a combination of some UBC sport teams in the NCAA would accomplish. The only 2 real revenue generating programs in the U.S are by a huge margin football and then to a lesser extent basketball. Say you leave UBC football in Canada West, put non revenue sports like mens/womens soccer/volleyball in the NCAA and UBC hockey as an indepedent in the NCAA, in which it will still be competing with Junior hockey, minor pro and the Canucks. And I'm not even sure of the profitability of NCAA hockey programs in the states, and thats in places where a lot of the towns have no competition for fans ie North Dakota. That would leave UBC to compete in basketball in which they would surely get blown out in the first few seasons, and, as vancouver already proved, Canada isnt a huge basketball hotbed like the U.S. Can you imagine 20,000 UBC basketball fans going to watch the thunderbirds get humped by washington state when the Grizzles couldnt even break 10,000 some nights?

Please don't get in a huff and puff if you disagree with my views. Tell me how you think it would work, to the benfit of both the NCAA and UBC.

Who's in a huff? I just commented on an article I read on the web. I didn't disagree I don't know enough to disagree. Maybe you shouldn't be so touchy. (joke) I do realize that that the constitution would have to be changed. It mentioned that in the article, but it did seem that UBC was serious.

If UBC gets in look to see a number of schools who will clammer for entrance, especially to play div 1 hockey, basketball and womens soccer, the revenue generation model will be different for Canadian schools but it will raise the schools percieved value to ordinary students. The only thing UBC probably wont have, is the culture of Professors understanding athletics and supporting the students by going to watch games.

• 3 months later...
quote:Originally posted by k

Funny how you can come on here and cut down players when you probably dont know her. It's funny tho she's actually staying home has all of her university paid for, plus gets $900 a month on top of that (because she is a carded athlete), but i guess shes going to a boguss school? and another thing when you come on here and talk about players not positivley and write stuff about them on here maybe you should have the integrity to show your name where your from and all that good stuff!

Archived