Soccer on Television

masster

I just have basic cable and during the soccer season I usually get my footy fix from watching EPL on Sportsnet and the Score, plus the Champions League on TSN. But after the World Cup, I need to increase my viewing for the coming season. What is the best way for me to go (digital cable, satellite) to get the most games possible? I'd be interested in all of the major leagues, tournaments etc.

Thanks for your advice.

I have digital with Rogers. I get alot of channels, but the only soccer ones (besides TSN/Sportsnet/Score) is Fox Sports World and Gol TV.

FSW has really fallen. They will show an EPL game about three times, but the first showing is about 5 days after you saw the game live on Sportsnet. Lots of repeats. Gol TV will show the same crap games from the Columbia, Honduras and Guatamala leagues many times over, with a few quality games from Argentina and Brazil.

I wish one of these channels would show FA Cup (PPV only), SPL (Setanta owns rights - you can see some games at Celtic or Ranger fan clubs), or Dutch league (?).

quote:Originally posted by KAS

FSW has really fallen. They will show an EPL game about three times, but the first showing is about 5 days after you saw the game live on Sportsnet. Lots of repeats. Gol TV will show the same crap games from the Columbia, Honduras and Guatamala leagues many times over, with a few quality games from Argentina and Brazil.

Well, not quite. Gol TV shows the top matches from Spain every weekend. They also show top Italian matches, good news for those who do not have TLN on their basic cable package. They also show UEFA Cup matches regularly as well as international matches, both friendlies and qualifiers.

FSWC shows matches from Argentina and Brazil. And I while I would agree that their quality of programming has decreased over the years, with respect to the EPL, they do show many of the mid-week matches live.

If all you're looking for is more EPL then you may want Fox Sports World Canada. Last season they showed the early Sunday game taped delayed at 1pm EST. They also showed the Monday games live at 3pm EST and other mid-week games throughout the season.

It's available on most digital cable and both satellite systems. It's a lot worse then it used to be, but probably still worth the $2.50/month.

You may want to wait until the season starts though because they tend to show less and less every year, maybe this season it won't be worth it.

quote:Originally posted by Yob

FSC shows more EPL than FSWC, but the games that aren't on FSWC are on Sportsnet & The Score already so you don't lose any there. Apparently Setanta Sports will be showing some games instead of FSC and PPV, but Setanta is $11.99/month.

You'll end up paying more for the same EPL games.

But there's more to world football than the EPL. Setanta is well worth the $12/month because they show Champions League, Euro 2008 qualifiers, Ligue 1 (which I think FOX has now lost), English Coca-cola league, SPL tape-delay and maybe Portuguese league.

Something I just read:

quote:ALL TELECASTS ON FOX SPORTS WORLD CANADA ARE *** TO BE CONFIRMED ***

PENDING THE EXECUTION OF A NEW SUBLICENSING CONTRACT BETWEEN GLOBAL

TV

AND FOX SPORTS INTERNATIONAL.

Interesting.

But it all makes sense when you read this: http://www.afana.com/cgi-bin/footybbs/webbbs_config.pl/frames=n/read/2297

Here's the CRTC page: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2006/db2006-113.htm

Cheers,

~Regs.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

One problem is looking at the schedule, there are no Sunday games between December 23rd fixtures and the last day of the season except Everton vs Charlton on April 15th. Of course, The Score can just pick up a Saturday game instead after that.

There will definitely be Sunday games every weekend for the entire season. They just haven't decided yet which games to move from Saturday to Sunday, that's all.

Rogers Sportsnet has rights to Saturday EPL

The Score has rights to Sunday EPL

FSWC has rights to mid-week EPL

They purchase those rights specifically and can not pick and choose which games to take and which ones not to take.

Starting this season GOLTV has: Serie A, La Liga and The Bundesliga

quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

Rogers Sportsnet has rights to Saturday EPL

The Score has rights to Sunday EPL

FSWC has rights to mid-week EPL

They purchase those rights specifically and can not pick and choose which games to take and which ones not to take.

Isn't FSWC/FSC showing the 11:00a ET Sunday morning match?

yeah, I don't think the Score has it yet.

http://www.thescore.ca/blog.asp?name=sportsworld

quote:August 04, 2006

Nothing new to report on the English Premier League Sunday broadcast. Here's what I can tell you, yes The Score very much wants to retain our coverage, however it is not as simple as that, and contrary to some blog comments it is not a dollars and cents issue.

On the front of http://www.soccerTV.com today:

In Canada, Rogers Sportsnet, FOX Sports World Canada, and a yet-to-be-launched pay TV channel will divide the 2006-2007 EPL season as follows:

* Saturdays at 7:30am ET: Rogers Sportsnet

* Saturdays at 10am ET: Setanta Sports holds the 1st and 3rd picks for distribution on a yet-to-be-launched pay TV channel, Rogers Sportsnet has the 2nd pick

* Saturdays at 12noon ET: Rogers Sportsnet (delayed to 12:30pm ET)

* Sundays at 8:30am ET or 9am ET: Setanta Sports holds rights for distribution on a yet-to-be-launched pay TV channel

* Sundays at 11am ET: FOX Sports World Canada

* Mondays at 3pm ET: FOX Sports World Canada

* Tuesdays-Fridays: Setanta Sports holds the 1st pick for distribution on a yet-to-be-launched pay TV channel, FOX Sports World Canada has the 2nd pick

The EPL is currently NOT scheduled to air on The Score during the 2006-2007 season.

To be totally selfish good that Score doesn't have EPL. Now I won't go out and spend a few Loonies to get it as I live in the only city Canada that doesn't get Score on basic cable.

Sorry for the rest of ya though ;) Damn I miss La Liga on Sportsnet :(

It looks like Fox Sports World Canada will be showing a same-day delayed EPL game on Saturday afternoons (this week is Reading v 'Boro).

Adding this to the Sunday 11am ET game (which is usually the higher profile one, ex. Chelsea in the first two weeks.) they have, and the weekday games might make me subscribe again. If only they'd add something to their schedule of EPL and Argentine games besides reruns of fixed games from Italy.

Archived