DJT

WHITECAPS NATIONS CUP - SEMIFINAL #1

Final:

Vancouver 3 India 1

15' VAN David Testo

38' VAN Manju Nanjangud Shivananju (OG)

45'+ IND Sunil Chetri

73' VAN David Morris

Attendance: 6,235. Either the majority of the crowd were Indian fans or the Indian fans were just a lot louder than the Whitecaps fans. Apparently it was the former.

Caps fans were easily outnumbered by 4 to 1.

The noisiest fans in the stadium were the little kids (but in a good way).

Some cheered for Vancouver, others for India. Not too shabby though!

The game itself was rubbish. India is hopeless (think Keystone Kops) and the Caps played terrible save for Dave Morris and Steve Kindel.

I want my team back. The one that gave two sh!ts.

Today's Caps are seriously lacking heart.

Whitecaps match report:

WHITECAPS DEFEAT INDIA 3-1

July 19, 2006 - Vancouver Whitecaps 3

India 1

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC (attendance: 6,235)

Overview

The Whitecaps opened the inaugural Whitecaps Nations Cup tournament with a convincing 3-1 win over the India’s National Team, in front of a standing-room-only sell-out crowd of 6,235. On a field filled with international talent, it was Burnaby's own Dave Morris who put on a show, as he was instrumental in Vancouver's first two goals and then scored the third himself.

India had their chances, and pulled a goal back just before the break, but the Whitecaps controlled the second half, out-shooting their guests eight to one, and 13-4 on the night.

The Whitecaps Nations Cup tournament continues Friday, as Cardiff City FC face the Chinese Under-20 National Team. The winner of that game takes on the Whitecaps in Sunday's Championship Final at 7:00 p.m., while the loser plays India in the Third Place match at 4:00 p.m. in the first leg of Sunday's doubleheader.

Vancouver's next league action meanwhile is Friday August 4, away to the Puerto Rico Islanders.

Scoring Summary

15' Vancouver David Testo (Dave Morris)

An India clearance went to Morris in midfield, who first-timed it ahead to Testo, and he made a great turn at the top of the box, before drilling a low 18-yard shot into the left side of goal.

38' Vancouver own goal (Manju Nanjangud Shivananju)

Dave Morris on the right fired the ball across and it deflected off an India defender in front and in for an own goal.

45+' India Sunil Chetri (Surkumur Singh)

Chetri broke in and fired it passed Josh Wicks from 15 yards.

73' Dave Morris (Sita-Taty Matondo)

A nice play, as Morris fed it to Matondo breaking into the box on the right, and the speedy striker returned the favour, squaring for Morris to slot in from ten yards.

Game Notes

The Whitecaps threatened from the opening as new signing Gary Brooks had a point-blank shot well stopped by India’s keeper, Sandip Nandy. Brooks also had a couple of chances in the second half but failed to find the target.

Midfielder Tino Cucca got a rare start, and almost scored at 36', but strafed his shot wide.

Steve Kindel was one of nine Vancouver players to sub into the match, and he had almost made it 4-1 at 75', but fired over the bar from good position.

Whitecaps Coach Bob Lilley has a perfect record in international exhibitions, now at 2-0-0. Last year's 3-0 win of Sunderland was Vancouver first international win. The Cap's all-time record against the world is now 2W-6L-4T

NBA MVP Steve Nash is the tournament's honourary chairman, and took the ceremonial kick-off.

Vancouver Whitecaps: 0.Josh Wicks (29.Serge Djekanovic 45') - 20.David Morris (12.Geordie Lyall 75'), 22.John Jones (24.Diaz Kambere 45'), 25.Anthony Noriega, 33.Ryan Suarez - 6.Jay Alberts (27.Stefan Leslie 65'), 7.Martin Nash (4.Adrian Cann 45'), 13.Tino Cucca (8.Steve Kindel), 14.Tony Donatelli (3.Steve Klein 72') - 11.David Testo (19.Sita-Taty Matondo 45'), 16.Gary Brooks (17.Joey Gjertsen 72')

India: 1.Sandip Nandy - 2.Narinder Singh (12.Anupam Sarkar 82'), 3.Manju Nanjangud Shivananju (24.Habibur Rehman Mondal 85'), 5.Naduparambil Pappachan Pradeep, 16.Samir Naik, 17.Surkumar Singh (10.Sushil Kumar Singh 45') - 6.Shanmugam Venkatesh, 7.Renedy Singh, 20.Micky Fernandes (23.Bibiano Fernandes 62') - 11.Sunil Chetri (9.Meharaj-Un-Din-Wadoo 82'), 18.Freddy Mascarenhas (13.Manjit Singh 62')

Shots: Vancouver 13 India 4

Saves: Vancouver 1 India 4

Fouls: Vancouver 6 India 11

Offside: Vancouver 2 India 1

Corner Kicks: Vancouver 9 India 4

Referee: Domenic Scali (Winnipeg)

Cautions

Vancouver: Jones 41'

India: Shivananju 58’

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

The game itself was rubbish. India is hopeless (think Keystone Kops) and the Caps played terrible save for Dave Morris and Steve Kindel.

I want my team back. The one that gave two sh!ts.

Today's Caps are seriously lacking heart.

Coach Lilley sat many regulars to start the game, and the bench players were much better than India, which may explain why some of them took it easy.

Adrian Cann played centre mid and was horrible with the ball. Wicks made a mistake on the India goal by hesitating when he started to come out of his goal to challenge India's #11.

Morris worked his butt off, but he also made a couple bad passes. Kindel made some good runs down the left, but he should have had at least one goal. He was near the India goal and was sent a nice cross with lots of time, but his first touch let him down, and when he got the ball under control a defender was approaching and he shot high.

Gjertsen could have scored two goals if he had shot with his left foot.

The newest cap (Brooks) played well as a striker, but that may be due to the poor quality of the opposition.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Are the Whitecaps-Impact photos no longer available?

Replaced by Whitecaps-India photos which by tomorrow will be replaced by Cardiff-China U-20 photos. Do you have a particular interest in the Whitecaps-Montreal photo series or did you just miss them?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

If Steven Nash became a joint owner of the Whitecaps we'd have absolutely no issue with the waterfront stadium!

How do you figure? Kerfoot is far wealthier than Nash, and has better business contacts throughout the Vancouver area.

Unless you're talking from a PR standpoint.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Do you have a particular interest in the Whitecaps-Montreal photo series or did you just miss them?

I wanted to save a copy of them as I'm collecting any reports, photos, videos, etc. I can get for matches between Canadian USL D1 clubs.

Thanks. I need only the one match, so you don't have to post all of them on my account. And there's no rush at all.

Might as well mention this here:

WHITECAPS NATIONS CUP SEMIFINAL #2 - Friday, July 21

Cardiff City FC 5 China U20 0

Match report from the Whitecaps

Sunday, July 23:

3rd Place - 4:00 PM PDT - India vs. China U20

1st Place - 7:00 PM PDT - Vancouver vs. Cardiff

Rudi: Ya, it was from a PR standpoint I was coming from.

China-Cardiff: 5-0! Ouch! I knew Cardiff would win, but that's a tough pill to swallow!

Must be more urgency from the Caps for the final, otherwise could be a thrashing. That said, 3-0 over Sunderland rings a bell!

Last nights China-Cardiff game was a rip off- if only I could back the $84 I spent on tickets for my son and wife and me. The game was decided early on, there was no atmosphere as there were no Chinese cultural atttractions (unlike the India game) few fans (compared to the Caps vs India) and the U20 Chinese team was too young and too small to stand up to Cardiff in any 50/50 plays. Oh did I forget to mention the mature Weslsh male dancers, there was even a long haired bearded Welsh guy wearing long pants and a skirt in 90 degree heat.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Thanks. I need only the one match, so you don't have to post all of them on my account. And there's no rush at all.

Very fortuitously that slideshow had not yet been deleted from my server. Go to the Whitecaps-Montreal July 16 match report and scroll down to the bottom.

http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-jul/whitecaps-jul-16.htm

I have added a link that will open the slideshow for you.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Wouldn't it have been better for the Caps to try to arrange a tournament with the Canadian U-20 team instead of the Chinese U-20 team?

I think it's better to have more of an international flavour for that kind of tournament if you are the Whitecaps.

You could also say they should've invited the Canadian NT instead of the Indian NT.

BTW, when this tournament was announced I thought the CSA should try to arrange friendlies between our U-20's and China U-20's and why not India. But maybe having those USA games 2 weeks ago and the facts that most of our players are starting training in Europe didn't help.

Archived