Canada's Ideal Line up and Formation

Canadiense

Hello...

I am new here with the forums, and I love the atmosphere.

Anyways, since we do not have an official long term coach for the men's national team, I wanted to know your thoughts on how you would organized the team on a game. What formation would you use? Would you be defensive or offensive? Would you use guys coming from the U20 team? Let's see what you guys have to say!

WHEN CANADA MAKES 2010, I think they should play as follows

CANADA should play OFFENSIVE (try to get the first goal ASAP, attack opposition's defense)

Formation: 4-1-2-1-2

Offensive Strategy: Wing play

Defensive Strategy: Press for the ball

Hirschfeld (Goalkeeper)

Klukowski (left back) -> comes up for crosses

Edgar (center back) -> I was impressed by him vs Brazil (U20)

Gervais (center back) -> consistent

Braz (right back) -> consistent

Hutchinson (defensive midfield) -> strong tackler, can read game

Bernier (left midfield) -> all around midfield, great shot

Peters (right mifield) -> great speed, can beat wide defenders

De Rosario (offensive midfield) -> creative, speed, good shot

Hume (striker) -> speed, crosser, flexible player

Friend (striker) -> Strong, nose for goal

I would also use players such as:

J. De Guzman (defensive midfield)

J. Simpson (left midfield)

W. Johnson (striker)

I am still wondering though if Canada should use a flat 4-4-2 or a flat 4-3-3.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attacks from the wings will only work with the right target forward, and Canada seemed to get it working against Austria but this kind of percentage ball high crossing football is very frustrating against an organized defence. See England in the WC. I'd prefer Canada to keep the ball on the ground more and take space, look to play the ball into center of the opponent's half with low cutting passes. I think your 4-1-2-1-2 could work without using wingers, as demonstrated by Ramsey with England's 66 squad (sorry for all the England references). Yallop did get the 4-3-3 working so my ideal line up based on recent matches would be...

Stalteri--Hutch--McKenna--Kluko (Reda/Braz)

----DeGuzman---Serioux---Brennan-- (Bernier/Simpson/Peters)

Radz---------Friend----------DeRosario (Hume/Occean)

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Yallop did get the 4-3-3 working so my ideal line up based on recent matches would be...

Stalteri--Hutch--McKenna--Kluko (Reda/Braz)

----DeGuzman---Serioux---Brennan-- (Bernier/Simpson/Peters)

Radz---------Friend----------DeRosario (Hume/Occean)

I usually avoid getting into line-up debates, but this seems like a good one to work from.

Starting with the strikers, doesn't Radz prefer the left, and DeRo the Right? Perhaps a switch is in order. I'm not sure if Friend is a better choice than Occean right now for the big man in the middle (perhaps in the future though), and although I don't have a solution (maybe in preference to DeRo?), it just seems hard to not start Hume.

For midfield, Brennan on the left sounds good. I'm not sure about DeGuz on right because although he is very talented, I don't know about his experience there, or his potential on offense. Someone from the middle needs to score or atleast distribute. If there's no Jonathan (JDG2), then maybe try Gyaki. Perhaps I just need to see more of Julian, but he seems to be more defensive than offensive. I understand picking Serioux, but with the rise of Edgar and perhaps Hainault in the back, it would be great to make full use of Hutch in the middle.

For defence, I agree with Stalteri and Kluko, but I would move Hutch to midfield and replace him with Edgar (we should start grooming him now), and if we can't convinve DeVos to come back, then it's a shootout between McKeena and Hainault.

So, assuming no DeVos or JDG2, my line-up in 4-3-3 is:

Stalteri-Edgar-McKeena-Kluko (Hainault)

DeGuz-Hutch-Brennan (Serioux, Gyaki, Peters)

DeRo-Occean-Radz (Hume, Friend)

Alright!

So we have some people who are looking into the mechanics for the national squad.

Two main points I have seen from the 3 posts:

1) I should not be the next manager (which of course I agree with)

2) Canada should be an offensive team

3) Let's try to play the ball more on the ground.

So it seems so far (based) on previous results a 4-3-3 is a good formation for the national team.

It is kinda funny how this is a classic dutch system, the only difference is that instead of having the outside forwards coming down the wings providing crosses, we have the outside forwards play almost as forwards who would set up the main striker up front. This seemed to work very well in games vs Spain (late '05), USA (early '06) and Austria.

Now I agree with KAS that we have to being to groom the U20 players, specially D. Edgar.

And I also agree with Soju with trying to keep the ball on the groung as much as possible... This was the case vs Austria and Spain and it seemed to work well

I also agree with Grizzly that I should not be the next Canada manager and that we would like to see more or Stalteri and De Guzman on the line up...

My new suggestion would be:

CANADA should play OFFENSIVE (try to get the first goal ASAP, attack opposition's defense)

Formation: 4-3-2-1

Offensive Strategy: 3rd man release

Defensive Strategy: Press for the ball

Hirschfeld (Goalkeeper)

McKenna (center back) -> consistent

Stalteri (right back) -> consistent

Hutchinson (midfield) -> strong tackler, can read game

Bernier (midfield) -> all around midfield, great shot

De Guzman (mifield) -> great speed, has a good eye for passing

De Rosario (forward) -> creative, speed, good shot

Radzinski (forward) -> speed, strength, good cross and shot

Occean (striker) -> Strong, nose for goal

Good display vs Newcaslte

Since we do not have a coach for Canada in the long term and we are speaking here of playing with an offensive 4-3-3 (Dutch classic), maybe it would be a nice risk for the CSA to attempt (with a great effort of course) John van 't Schip. Being Canadian born and now understanding the level of playing @ the world cup as Van Basten's assitant I think that he would do a great job in making Canada qualify for 2010.

I like the way the Dutch play and it seems a very basic styl of play that players with a lot of speed like the ones we have for the national squad. By the way I am not Dutch... I am acutally Spanish

I agree a lot with what Soju has there. For now I'm still behind the 4-3-3 because I think it suits our personnel and it's an attacking formation and since I think goal scoring will continue to be the problem, we might as well try to push people forward.

I think the top priority first is to figure out the backline. I think Stalteri is a lock at rightback with Braz a decent backup now and Ledgerwood being able to play there as the cycle goes on.

I think McKenna will be in the middle in the more physical role of the two centre backs. Reda and Gervais can play this role, with Edgar and Hainault coming on in the coming years. The other centreback is a tough call. I want to see Nsaliwa get a shot and with Serioux back there for Houston, it might be worth playing him there internationally. I'm not sure Edgar or Hainault are ready to just walk into the starting 11, but by 2010 maybe. But maybe not. Then there's Hutchinson who may be the best answer right now, but I think it too important in the midfield to be used in the back. Esp when we have some options. Also Klukowski can play in the middle and I thought he looked good when he did. He needs to be on the field, but I'm not sure if we're better in the middle with Brennan, Jazic or Simpson on the left or if we're better with Klukowski on the left and someone else in the middle.

Not sure where Brennan and Jazic will be by 2010, but they're both capable now and Simpson will hopefully have surpassed them by 2010, we'll see. Ledgerwood's another outside consideration.

So I would go with Stalteri---McKenna---Serioux---Klukowski for now, but like I said, I want to see a lot of different things tried.

I think the midfield is fairly simple. DeGuzman and Hutchinson should two of the first names on the team sheet every time out. They both have the work rate and defensive abilities to cover ground in a three-man midfield and both have good ball skills and are solid two-way mids. Who plays with them? Could be Serioux who is similar, but less polished, could be Benrier, who is quick and good in attack, but maybe not as skilled, could be Brennan who is one of our best when he's in form, or Simpson who has more pace and is younger. I would probably go with Brennan or Bernier depending on the opposition. With hopefully DeJong and Gyaki developing. Also if Jon DeGuzman comes around this picks itself IMO.

Now the three forwards . . . who's better as a target man Friend or Occean? I have no idea yet. I might give the edge to Friend, but he has had less chance to form a complete impression. The right side attacking forward is one of our our best positions. We have been using Radzinski on the right, but I really think he's going to be past it by time we're in the nitty gritty. Not 'we can't use him' past it, but 'we can't bank on Radzinski to score the goals to carry us.' past it. We need people who consistently putting the ball in the net, someone in their prime or near it and I hope Iain Hume is one of those guys. That position seems to suit Hume as well and it would also be a good spot for Peters as a change of pace, we'll see what the future holds in a year or two, but right now I don't think Peters is quite ready to start, but should be one of the first names off the bench.

I like DeRo on the left. The outside forwards are a little more of an open role and I think we could play Peters there too or even Johnson and DeJong may merit consideration. DeRosario is frustrating, but has the kind of talent we lack and to be honest, we have almost no one else who can link the midfield and the attack. Benier is the next closest. After that maybe Johnson or Julian DeGuzman. I think he needs to be on the field, I just hope he can maintain his form for long enough.

Goal? Ask me in a year when it matters. I'm happy enough with either of the three — Stamatopoulos, Hirschfeld or Sutton. None are great, all are competent. Right now I'd rate Sutton tops and Hirschfeld next, but I think it's going to come down to form and it's too early to even guess.

So I guess I would start:

----------------------------Sutton

Stalteri---------McKenna---Serioux------Klukowski

--------Hutchinson--DeGuzman--Brennan

-------------Hume----------------------DeRosario

------------------------------Friend

DeRo and Hume both work enough off the ball to help support the midfield. Klukowski and Stalteri can both get forward, while Serioux has the ball skill to push forward and start the counter from the back. With the midfield we have three guys who are defensively competent, which some pace and two-way ability. Hume and DeRosario both have the speed and individual skill that if we do break quickly on the counter they can take the ball on the flank and run at and past their markers and get quality in to Friend. I don't think we should settle for simply being a get it deep and wide and knock it in kind of attack and Friend and Occean both have enough skill that they can create danger with the ball at their feet and don't have to stand around and wait for crosses all day.

I hope we'll have a better idea after the Jamaica games, but it's too early for me to make up my mind on certain players until we see more of them.

cheers,

matthew

I think we're looking at a 4-5-1 and calling it a 4-3-3.

------G------

D---D---D---D

----M---M----

M-----------M

-----M-------

------F------

or

------G------

D---D---D---D

----M---M----

M-----M-----M

------F------

With the lone striker and Dero behind him, Brennan and Hume on the wings with JDG and Hutch in the middle.

If you want to play offensive, on the ground style of soccer. Then in no way do you want to play the 4-5-1. The 4-5-1 is for teams who like to play defencive soccer and boot the ball to there big man upfront to hold up the ball.

whats wrong with the good ol 4-4-2 with a big man/small man combo upfront. I think that would suit canada the best if we would put someone like Hume/Friend up there with a diamond midfield with dero at the top and peters and simpson on the wings. With a defencive midfielder being anyone from Serioux, Bircham, Grande.. or hell i forgot deguzman lol.....

And then defence is a crap shoot.. emphasis on CRAP. But with a second look i completly underated the defence...... Brennan on the left, Atiba and Edgar in the centre and lil ol Stally on the right.

And of course lars in net

quote:Originally posted by Canadiense

Alright!

So we have some people who are looking into the mechanics for the national squad.

This looks like three main points! ;) And yes, you're 3/3 here!

quote:

This looks the same as my line-up, only you have Bernier in midfield instead of Brennan - the guy who scored both goals against Austria.

quote:Since we do not have a coach for Canada in the long term and we are speaking here of playing with an offensive 4-3-3 (Dutch classic), maybe it would be a nice risk for the CSA to attempt (with a great effort of course) John van 't Schip. Being Canadian born and now understanding the level of playing @ the world cup as Van Basten's assitant I think that he would do a great job in making Canada qualify for 2010.

Alot of us have been saying that. There's no guarantee that he would take it, or even that he would be the best candidate, but the CSA had better atleast enquire into Van't Schip's interest in the job and get him to apply/interview for it. Of course, since some may already be questioning Van Basten's abilities after the WC, Van't Schip might see the Dutch job in his future and decide to bide his time there.

quote:Originally posted by Canadiense

Alright!

This looks like three main points! ;) And yes, you're 3/3 here!

quote:

This looks the same as my line-up, only you have Bernier in midfield instead of Brennan - the guy who scored both goals against Austria.

quote:Since we do not have a coach for Canada in the long term and we are speaking here of playing with an offensive 4-3-3 (Dutch classic), maybe it would be a nice risk for the CSA to attempt (with a great effort of course) John van 't Schip. Being Canadian born and now understanding the level of playing @ the world cup as Van Basten's assitant I think that he would do a great job in making Canada qualify for 2010.

Alot of us have been saying that. There's no guarantee that he would take it, or even that he would be the best candidate, but the CSA had better atleast enquire into Van't Schip's interest in the job and get him to apply/interview for it. Of course, since some may already be questioning Van Basten's abilities after the WC, Van't Schip might see the Dutch job in his future and decide to bide his time there.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

whats wrong with the good ol 4-4-2 with a big man/small man combo upfront. I think that would suit canada the best if we would put someone like Hume/Friend up there with a diamond midfield with dero at the top and peters and simpson on the wings. With a defencive midfielder being anyone from Serioux, Bircham, Grande.. or hell i forgot deguzman lol.....

I like the 4-4-2, but Canada has trouble scoring, and the 4-3-3 makes better use of the current talent while hiding weaknesses and lack of depth in midfield. For a striking partnership, right now I would go with either Radz/Occean or Hume/Occean - depending on whether you think Radz is past it or not. I rank Occean abit higher than Friend right now, although that could change. Hume will eventually replace Radz.

However, since chemistry counts a great deal in striking partnerships, I'm hoping that Friend and Johnson play alot together in Holland (I know that's not possible right now) and build enough chemistry to be an obvious striking pair. Yes, Hume is better than Johnson, but if Hume doesn't move up and plateaus, and Johnson keeps improving in Holland, then that can change.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I like the 4-4-2, but Canada has trouble scoring, and the 4-3-3 makes better use of the current talent while hiding weaknesses and lack of depth in midfield. For a striking partnership, right now I would go with either Radz/Occean or Hume/Occean - depending on whether you think Radz is past it or not. I rank Occean abit higher than Friend right now, although that could change. Hume will eventually replace Radz.

However, since chemistry counts a great deal in striking partnerships, I'm hoping that Friend and Johnson play alot together in Holland (I know that's not possible right now) and build enough chemistry to be an obvious striking pair. Yes, Hume is better than Johnson, but if Hume doesn't move up and plateaus, and Johnson keeps improving in Holland, then that can change.

I never saw the last two Canadian internationals (Austria and the US) but I will reiterate some things I noticed in a number of other matches, such as in the 2005 Gold Cup: I would see some great defensive work by our backline (seemed like Hutch was at the centre of it), some composed passing between defenders deep in our own zone, then an outlet pass to a midfielder, who would proceed to hit an ill advised, low percentage pass that would get cut out in our half of the field, resulting in our defence being back on its heels once again. I guess my point here is that if we want to play 4-3-3 we have to make sure we keep possession a whole lot better in the middle of the park or display absolutely lethal finishing on the chances we do get: neither trait has been in abundance from what I have seen.

With regards to keeping possession in midfield, a player who had impressed me was Grande: he was good at quickly and accurately distributing possession-retaining passes to either flank, yet could hit an effective probing ball towards the corner flag for the frontrunners. Perhaps include him (or a player of similar attributes) with Hutch and De Guzman, if you want to try for three in midfield?

Its interesting how not one person has mentioned Imoff in the midfield as a possibility and he will be playing in the bundesliga this year. He has to be in the mix as a possibilitly. Also, DeRo is playing the offensensive midfield role at this club so assuming no younger DeGuzman, I would try him there as well.

Also, Serioux has gone back to playing center back for his club. He is quite fast so he could compliment McKenna there.

I still think Edgar is a year away. If he goes on loan this year to a championship side, he is a possibility. Otherwise, i think its too early for him.

So my side would be as follows:

Stalteri (Ledgerwood) Serioux McKenna (Gervais, Edgar) Kluklowski (Simpson, Jazic, Brennan)

Hutchinson DeGuzman (Imoff Bernier)

DeRosario (Grande)

Radzinski (Peters) Hume

Occean (Friend)

I forgot to mention Imhof and Grande. Both are definites in the middle of the midfield (and I suppose Bircham is as well). The problem is that in my mind they’re getting very close to being maybe a little old for this cycle. Grande, Imhof and Brennan are all 77s, so they’re 33 in 2010 and Bircham is a 78 . . . right now that’s lots of depth, but it’s all about DeGuzman and Hutchinson right now in the midfield.

You can call the formation what you want, but I don’t see what I envision as defensive and it certainly is not a long ball system. And if there are long balls to be played, it’s not to the centre forward. One of the things that struck me so much about Spain is that we had three quick central mids and they quickly moved the ball wide to the flank. They could win the ball, turn take a few steps or make a short pass to one of the other mids and then they often hit deep balls down the flanks. Radzinski in particular was giving the outside back he was up against a hell of a time.

Normally I’m a 4-4-2 kind of guy, but my thinking is this . . . our best players are either d-mids/central mids or outside backs for the most part. Our weakest area is either up front or in the centre of defence.

Soooo . . . you compensate for the lack of scoring by throwing out an extra forward. Now it’s not much different having DeRo on the left-forward/flank or having him play behind two forwards in a normal 4-4-2, but I think having him further forward and more isolated to challenge guys 1v1 is a positive and it requires a little less running.

I also like having three mids in front of our central defenders. They take some of the pressure off and hopefully force the attack out wide. Which is good because Stalteri and Klukowski should be strengths. Plus they can get forward better and provide width. A 4-4-2 with a diamond, I would be worried we’d get over-run in the middle of the park . . . say something like . . .

Stalteri------McKenna---Hutch------Klukowski

-----------------Deguzman

--------Peters------DeRo-----Simpson

--------------Hume-----Occean/Friend

and I’m not sure we have enough bite in the middle of the field and having Stalteri/Peters and Kluka/Simpson on the wings almost seems like overkill. Hutchinson-DeGuzman-DeRosario is a nice spine of a team, but I think it might be asking too much. Maybe as they get older and develop Peters and Simpson will demand a starting spot and then maybe 4-4-2 makes more sense, but right now I don’t think we have a right mid (besides Hume) who is better than our third best central mid (say Grande, Imhof or even Brennan in the role he played against Austria). Peters is going to be great I hope, but I don’t think he’s quite a 90 minute man yet. I’d rather bring him and Johnson off the bench some more to add a spark, same with Simpson, though he’s closer IMO.

cheers,

matthew

Klukowski-Edgar-Gervais-Stalteri

Hutchinson-Bernier-De Guzman-De Rosario

Radzinski-Hume

either Sutton or Stampalous

The only two obvious things are Radzinski will definitly be named to start despite all his detractors. Also no way in hel% will Hirschfeld be starting in goal, it will either be Kenny or Greg yet again.

Hello, I'm a new member on this forum, and I'd just like to say that this site is great - it's good to talk to fellow soccer fans that follow the Canadian game.

Anyway, regarding this topic, I like most of the lineup suggestions posted. Still, I'm a little surprised that no one suggested putting McKenna up front. I know he's naturally a defender, but he seemed to excel in the games he played as a forward. In fact, I think he may be Canada's leading goal scorer amongst active players - he's got 9 goals at last count.

As for the rest of the lineup, I like most of the suggestions, but I think I'd leave Radzinski out - not because he's a bad player, just because he'll be 36 at the 2010 World Cup.

All the best,

Alex

I also would add that ideally I would prefer to see players in the positions they usually play at club level. Obviously there are exceptions, even within our MNT player pool, but I believe you get more out of players when they play in familiar positions. So, if Hutch is regularly playing in midfield for Copenhagen, then he should play in midfield for us; likewise, Serioux has been in central defence for Houston, perhaps he can form a viable partnership with McKenna for the MNT.

quote:Originally posted by Red and White Machine

Hello, I'm a new member on this forum, and I'd just like to say that this site is great - it's good to talk to fellow soccer fans that follow the Canadian game.

Welcome!

quote:Anyway, regarding this topic, I like most of the lineup suggestions posted. Still, I'm a little surprised that no one suggested putting McKenna up front. I know he's naturally a defender, but he seemed to excel in the games he played as a forward. In fact, I think he may be Canada's leading goal scorer amongst active players - he's got 9 goals at last count.

The thing about the MNT is that the team is strong is some areas, and very weak in others. Although McKeena can play the big striker role, Canada already has Occean and Friend to do the job. Central defence is a very weak area though, and until Edgar (develops into a top senior player, there is practically no depth there. So McKeena (and sometimes Hutchinson - normally a midfielder) are being used to fill the area of greatest need.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Serioux has been in central defence for Houston, perhaps he can form a viable partnership with McKenna for the MNT.

You know that just may work very, very, well against the sort of teams we play in CONCACAF. Maybe not so much vs some European sides, but in CONCACAF where the ball spends so much more time on the floor absolutely.

I think of Serioux as a very reactionary player for want of a better phrase so I think given his better pace, he and Big Kev could play off of each other quite well. Especially if you threw a disruptive defensive mid in front of them. Can't be as adventuress along the back line of course but hopefully he wouldn't have.

Realy hope Adrian has recovered well enough to finish off strong this year in MLS. Realy hope Big Kev has a stellar year playing only one possition at Cottbus this season, but I guess we'll see.

Well guys!!

It seems this little topic has brought very creative and interesting ideas from everyone. I like the fact that most people are considering bring U20 to the national fold from the start, and that we are also considering the age of the current members of the squad. We are also taking into account the opponents in our region such as the ones from CONCACAF (after all we have to play against them to qualify to the world cup).

Some of the points that I have noticed from everyone is that the MNT is lacking quality, especially in midfield. There are several ways to compensate for that.

Recall our greatest win for the MNT, February 2000. Canada => Gold Cup Winners!!!

The formation was as follows: 3-5-2

GK) Forrest

DF) Watson

DF) De Vos

DF) Hastings

RM) Clarke

CM) Nash

CM) Xaousa

CM) Imhoff

LM) Brennan

CF) Corazzin

CF) Peschisolido

7 Goals for, 3 goals against.

I have also noticed that in World Soccer there have been a lot of changes in tactical play. For example the last 2 World Cup Champions have used 5 players in their midfield (Brazil, 2002, 3-5-2) and (Italy, 2006, 4-2-3-1).

MY POINT:

My point is that perhaps Canada would benefit better from a system that used 5 players in their midfield, this helps to keep close possession and communication amongst the players and attacks can either be central or from the wings.

I also agree with players should play their positions that they do @ club level to be played @ the national level in order to fuse the player’s skill (although more national team names could also help here). Thus I have 2 more suggestions for a future 2010 men’s national team, who would play their qualification games vs CONCACAF teams and will make use of their younger players.

Canada (4-2-3-1)

GK) Hirschfeld

RB) Stalteri

CB) Serioux

CB) McKenna

LB) Klukowski

DM) Hutchinson

DM) De Guzman (Julian)

LM) Bernier

RM) Peters

AM) De Rosario

ST) Friend

Canada (4-3-1-2)

GK) Hirshfeld

RB) Stalteri

CB) Serioux

CB) McKenna

LB) Klukowski

CM) Bernier

CM) Hutchinson

CM) De Guzman

CF) De Rosario

ST) Radzinski

ST) Friend

Opinions?

IF the 4-3-3 we played against Spain and Austria stops working I'd endorse the 4-3-1-2 you mentioned. I don't like Canada going to one man up front so I prefer the second formation. Having a play making attacking mid like DeRo in the hole behind the strikers looks good to me, also because he's had some problems finishing in close but has put some great ones in from outside the area. How's Bernier's crossing and can he get a ball into the box at full speed down a wing? I can't recall ever seeing him do this, but I have seen him misfire some good chances on goal (Gold cup...) which will fall to central players from time to time. I think he's overall a decent player so this leaves me wondering where in the midfield he should play. Apart from that I think Canada should keep Radz in the squad, have a look at him when the next qualifying cycle starts, and replace him then if a better young option is available. The longer a player of his caliber and experience can dress for this team, the better. A bit of maturity in the line up could motivate younger players to play to impress, and I'll assume Radz is well liked in the dressing room since despite some poor showings he usually figured into Chris Coleman's plans at Fulham. I liked Serioux in the holding/destroying role in the midfield but it should be interesting to see if he can become the kind of powerhouse center back that could fill the hole left by Jason DeVos. What about Marco Reda? Adam Braz? With some more familiarity between the players and development at club level, Canada's back line could be strong.

I think its no use keeping so many 77's, 78's around because eventually down the line we will have alot of young players playing at high levels.

I think players like Imhof,brennan, and Jazic dont really have a future in the MNT because there are players that are younger that will take over. We should start prepping the youth for World Cup qualifiers that will start in 2008. My lineup that I'd throw out there would look something like this:

Gk Hirschfeld

LB Klukowski

CB Mckenna or Hainault

CB Edgar

RB Stalteri or Nsaliwa

RM De Guzman

CM Hutchinson

LM Simpson or De Jong

RAM Hume

LAM Peters

ST Friend or Occéan

I think an attack minded 4-5-1 plays to our teams strengths especially since peters and Hume are very good at creating problems for opposing defences. At the back I like the idea of starting Stalteri for the veteran presence, along with Mckenna in the middle who might even be considered for the traget man role, though with Occéan and Friend I think we're ok. If Jonathan de Guzman decides to join, my lineup would probably look like this:

Gk Hirschfeld Rosenborg

LB Klukowski Club Brugge

CB Edgar Newcastle

CB Mckenna Energie Cottbus or Hainault FK Most

RB Stalteri Tottenham or Nsaliwa Panionios

LM Peters Ipswich town or Simpson Kaiserslautern or de jong Roda JC

CM Hutchinson FC Copenhagen

RM De Guzman Deportivo la coruna or Ledgerwood 1860 Munich

CAM De Guzman 2 Feyenoord

ST Occéan Lillestrom or Friend SC Heerenveen

ST Hume Leicester City or Johnson SC Heerenveen

Basically the wings de Guzman/ledgerwood and peters/simpson/de jong play more of a retracted role as opposed to the other lineup where hume and peters are basically solely playing in the attack. We let De Guzman 2 go to work offes=nsively knowing we have either hutchinson or de guzman in that vital holding role, which I see Hutchinson in more so then de guzman just because I trust almost everything Atiba does on the pitch whereas with de guzman he can be prone to make errors. In two years I see all the players listed above as people who can step right in and start no questions asked. Another bonues is by the time qualifying starts all of the players above except for stalteri will be under the age of 30. Witht he developpement of our players from now until 2008 i dont see why this lineup will have trouble qualifying for the world cup, espcially if De guzman 2 joins, our midfield will be a force to be reckoned with. Realistically all of the players above will be playing in top leagues atleast two years from now.

I think you still have to keep an eye on Imhoff, specially if he's a starter for Bochum in the Bundesliga 1 this year. He'll be 30-31 during the next WCQ campaign, that's not too old for defensive midfield.

It seems like De Jong will be on Roda JC starting 11, I would like to see him on our left mid.

My lineup:

Hirsch (Sutton and Wagenaar)

Stalteri-----Mckenna----Kluka------Simpson ( Edgar, Haineault and Braz)

Bernier-----Hutch------DeGuzman----De Jong (Peeters, Imhoff, Serioux, Brennan, Ledegerwood)

DeRo-----Occean (Friend and Hume)

That would be my 23 players. In 1 or 2 years guys like Haineault and Edgar could easily find themselves in our central defense in this lineup.

Archived