Tickets Canada - Jamaica

Bxl Boy

Also ladies and gentlemen in the Toronto Area...

The Usector is having a meeting to organize a bus trip for the game. If you are interested please come to the meeting and share your ideas and so on and forth.

The meeting is July 30th @ 3:00 at the Wheatshef.

And if by now you dont know what the webadress is its... www.usector.ca

Bump.

Should we just buy General Admission tickets and plan to sit together? Is there an area

we should aim for? (About 4 of us will be there from Winnipeg, with possibly another 6 or so friends that live in Montreal.) Looking forward to the match.

That's what I planned on doing.

Maybe we can meet somewhere ahead of time and then all head over together? I don't know the area well enough to suggest a location though or even if this is feasible.

Perhaps when the Usector figures out what they're doing and how many are coming we can figure this out.

Sean just wants a chance to walk in naked to more than just his brothers' rooms.

Drinking HQ is at Pub du Métro, opposite Crémazie metro.

We're going to have to decide where we want to be, but the regular Ultras section in GA will be the simplest. It is a bit far (still a good view), but it provides pretty much the only good place to stand in a large group, because of bench seating.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Reggae Boyz to play once a month

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill said the national senior team will play an international match once a month.

Boxhill is hoping to implement this with the help of a new technical director who could be named in a matter of weeks, replacing Wendell Downswell.

The Reggae Boyz first match will be on September 4 against Canada in Toronto. A return match will be played on October 8 at the National Stadium followed by another home match against Peru on November 15.

'In the middle of these international games,' said Boxhill, 'our senior team will defend their regional title, the Digicel Caribbean Cup, with one round being played here in Jamaica at the end of September.'

Qualified international coach

However, Boxhill, who was speaking at the Wray and Nephew National Premier League awards ceremony at the Terra Nova Hotel on Monday night, said the first step in preparing the team for its international matches is acquiring a qualified international coach.

'Over the last two and a half months, I have been extremely disappointed with the results we have had, both at the senior level as well as to some extent our Under 23s.' Boxhill stated, referring to the two heavy losses by the senior team to England and Ghana and the Under-23's loss to Colombia on Sunday.

'These results force us to look at upgrading our technical staff.'

The president has confirmed that former England player John Barnes is one of the coaching candidates and earlier this week former technical director Rene Simoes, who took Jamaica to their only World Cup in 1998, was linked to the job. Boxhill admitted that the JFF is close to finding Downswell's replacement.

Making progress

'I am pleased to say we are making progress. We have received recent information that should allow us to reach some finality very soon in respect of a coach for the senior team,' he said. 'We expect to be doing formal interviews over the next week.'

He added: 'We are looking for someone with respected and recommended experience.

We are looking for someone who will be able to work within Jamaican realities and someone who will help to galvanise support around the team.'

By LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

Source: The Jamaica Online Star

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Reggae Boyz to play once a month

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president Crenston Boxhill said the national senior team will play an international match once a month.

Just to be clear, Canada is the super wealthy G-8 country that accepts immigrants from many poorer countries, and Jamaica is the little island country with rampant crime and corruption that has its' people fleeing for countries like Canada? Interesting, because this article seems to imply that Jamaica is the wealthier country.

An international match every month? I wish Canada was wealthy enough for something like that. Can we get Angelina Jolie to adopt the MNT? I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind! Have we tried applying for foreign aid? It seems logical, since countries that Canada gives foreign aid to have larger budgets for their MNT than ours does.

Oh well, priorities differ. Atleast we still have hockey.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

Can we get Angelina Jolie to adopt the MNT? I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind!

I'm of South African heritage, maybe she can adopt me ;)

Hell, she played Colin Farrell's mmom in a movie and he's only a year younger than her. I'm four years younger than her, so that must count for something...

I think 1 game per month would be a reasonnable objective for Canada starting with the september/october Jamaica games. With the CSA claiming that they were working on a European friendly in November I think it would be a good start to finish this year with 3 games in 4 months. Then in 2007 we should try to get at least 5-6 friendlies before the GC, + atleast 3 GC games (maybe more) and another friendly in august maybe.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm of South African heritage, maybe she can adopt me ;)

Maybe, but you will want her to adopt you soon, while she's still breastfeeding! I'm sure that she would take good care of you.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think 1 game per month would be a reasonnable objective for Canada starting with the september/october Jamaica games. With the CSA claiming that they were working on a European friendly in November I think it would be a good start to finish this year with 3 games in 4 months. Then in 2007 we should try to get at least 5-6 friendlies before the GC, + atleast 3 GC games (maybe more) and another friendly in august maybe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there not two closely spaced international dates in September, October, and November? If we has the money, then I imagine that we could use both international dates each month to play two games and have a nice little camp each month. Invite someone cheap to come play in Montreal in September, and since the MNT will be in the Caribean to play Jamaica in October, we can go play nearby Cuba, or just beat up the Cayman Islands. Since the team is already assembled, and we would be playing away, it should cost too much for the addition game. If Canada was uplaying on both international dates, then I doubt that clubs would ask for their players back between the dates - you therefore get a small camp to go with the two games.

I really think the CSA should cough up enough money for the MNT to play more and boast our FIFA ranking before the GC draw is made. A higher ranking means a better draw and a better tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

Jamaica Coach Out

Downswell speaks out

AFTER 19 months in the hot seat, national football coach Wendell Downswell on Tuesday called it quits, citing that corporate Jamaica does not really support local coaches.

'You know people have the concept about the foreign coaches. They will probably give them the necessary support and I don't think that will change in the future,' said Downswell yesterday.

'What local coaches have to do is knock the door down with some high-quality performances, that's the only way you can get in,' he said.

Downswell, who took over from the Sebastiao Lazaroni/Carl Brown failed World Cup attempt in November 2004, resigned, effective August 4.

History has shown that corporate Jamaica will not pump in the necessary funds in the local football programme unless an overseas coach is at the helm.

Search for overseas coach

Recently, the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has been seeking an overseas coach and should soon announce who that will be.

Jamaican-born Englishman John Barnes seems to be leading the pack because of his cheaper asking price, rumoured to be US$1 million a year.

Former England coach Sven Goran Eriksson of Sweden was said to be asking for £3 million, with the option of coaching a European club simultaneously.

The latest name being mentioned is former Argentine coach Jose Pekerman, who recently resigned after his country was eliminated by Germany at the World Cup.

It is understood that former coach Carl Brown will be the interim coach for upcoming games against Canada (twice) and Peru.

Downswell, in the meantime, said he is willing to work in any capacity that the JFF sees fit.

'If the federation wants me to serve in whatever capacity, I am more than willing to do that. Separate and apart from that, I will analsye my situation and move forward,' said Downswell.

Under his tenure, Jamaica won the Caribbean Digicel Cup, the Caribbean Under-15 championship, the women's Under-20 Caribbean championship but failed to qualify for the World Cup. The senior men's team reached the quarter-finals in the Gold Cup.

'From that perspective I feel good,' said Downswell.

By Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

© Copyright 1997-2006 Gleaner Company Ltd.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I suppose the implication is that nothing has yet been done to put a team together because of no public roster announcement.

It appears that the implication is that the roster is going to released very close to the date of the match, as usual.

Archived