Auf Wieder Bate

Bxl Boy

The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) has accepted the resignation of Technical Director, Richard Bate, effective immediately. Bate has accepted the Technical Director's position with newly promoted English Premiership side Watford Football Club, where he is expected to oversee the club’s technical programs.

"It has been a real pleasure for me to have been here in Canada for the past 10 months as the country's Technical Director," said Bate. "I have travelled from coast to coast, met many fine people in the short time I have been here, and have commenced many new technical initiatives which I believe will have a lasting and positive benefit for soccer in Canada."

"When I first came to Canada last summer, I honestly felt that a return to the Premiership was not going to happen. Obviously, I was wrong and to have this opportunity occur at this stage in my career is one I could not afford to pass on. I very much regret leaving Canada under these most unusual circumstances but at the same time, I am happy with what was accomplished and what is being left behind and certainly appreciate the CSA allowing me to be released from this agreement so that I can finish my career in the Premiership."

The CSA granted Mr. Bate permission to be released from his contract at the request of Mr. Bate. The CSA expresses its disappointment with Mr. Bate's decision but will now focus its attention toward finding a suitable candidate to lead the overall development and direction of the CSA’s technical programs – including player and coaching development, the direction and supervision of the National Training Centres and the National Youth Teams, both male and female. The search for Bate's successor will commence immediately.

God almighty! Anybody else starting to get the impression that we're like some chick with herpes or something? First Yallop, now Master Bate.

Well, one can cry or one can see this as an opportunity. I say we bring in a good Dutch technical director or a Frenchy or somebody who is not English. I mean, the English themselves are complaining about their crappy youth development.

A very disgraceful exit. If you sign on for something like this you should commit yourself to the job for a certain number of years. I guess it probably negates the theory Bates pushed Yallop out. I feel Yallop left for similar reasons but at least his position was probably shaky and their are some other variables. He also seems to be doing a much better job in working for Canada as LA's coach than as Canadian coach. Bates seems to have left purely for ambitious reasons. It would have been nice if the CSA had played hardball and asked for some sort of compensation though you certainly don't want to keep someone who doesn't want to be here. Maybe the good to come out of it might be that this might free up some funds to hire someone very good to fill both positions or at least give the new man some say as to who he wants to work with. Good riddance Mr. Bate and thanks for a lot of talking and little implementation.

Good riddance to him.

The CSA should not have hired him in the first place. They should have hired someone younger with motivation to do well in Canada, someone who wanted to make a name for himself, not someone who got the job because of his connections, and not someone who has ridden on other people's coattails for much of his career.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Would it be the worst thing if more CSA brass follow out the door? :D

It would be desirable yet I somehow doubt that Kevin Pipe is going to get a job offer from Watford or even the LA Galaxy in the near future and that seems like the only way we are going to get rid of him.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It would be desirable yet I somehow doubt that Kevin Pipe is going to get a job offer from Watford or even the LA Galaxy in the near future and that seems like the only way we are going to get rid of him.

I wish too that some more brass will jump off ship. The CSA seems to get overimpressed with Resumes. But they don't want to use professionals to find the right persons.

This is surreal, almost. First Yallop and then Bate. There is quite clearly a back story that only the individuals involved (and the CSA brass) understand.

The common denominator (that has been running for decades) is CSA incompetence. To have a revolving door with key positions suggests either operational ineptitude or irresponsible hiring. Both are bad and prevent success.

I am quite literally at my wits end. Please, someone tell me what it would take to get some useful leadership at the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Must admit that when I watched some of his interviews after the Toronto FC news conference(s)I initially was irritated by his self-congratulatory tone where he sounded more like a MLSE director helping them build "their" stadium with "our" dollars until I stopped, then thought....wait a minute maybe he is finally going to get the heck out of the CSA and join them in some capacity...well, one can at least hope.

Originally posted by Blue and White Army on 09/21/2005 when Bate's hiring was first announced (original thread):

quote:Uh oh, looks like another international journeyman who only lasts a year or two at each destination. I've come across many of these chaps... most of whom are quite "eccentric".

Doubt he's still around come the next World Cup quals.

quote:Originally posted by SF

This is surreal, almost. First Yallop and then Bate. There is quite clearly a back story that only the individuals involved (and the CSA brass) understand.

In the past, Cheeta seemed to have an inside source on these sort of things. Can't wait to hear what "it" has to say. ;)

Here's another post from the thread when Bate was announced as CSA Technical Director.

"Bate was a coach at Mossley. The Mossley website states that Bate was criticized by the fans for his defensive style, and he eventually was sacked.

Why didn't the CSA hire someone younger who can help us imrove on the attacking side of football?

Why an old English defensive style coach as Technical Director?"

Maybe the CSA will hire another old defensive oriented coach from the British Isles to replace him.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Maybe the CSA will hire another old defensive oriented coach from the British Isles to replace him.

I know what you're saying and I share that concern, but the CSA has

hired a German (Osieck), several Canadians (Lenarduzzi, Yallop), a few

Brits (Waiters, etc.) and a T&T national (Hart), all to various

levels of success and disappointments.

The CSA should just strive to get the best individual regardless

of nationality. That person/candidate must be aware of the challenges

of the national programs and must be willing to play the style

of football that would bring us success on the field. And the old

style just doesn't cut it in CONCACAF.

It's pretty obvious that people are jumping from a sinking ship. I wonder if we're starting to get a reputation around the world as a place where soccer just will not be taken seriously, even by the national governing body.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I know what you're saying and I share that concern, but the CSA has

hired a German (Osieck), several Canadians (Lenarduzzi, Yallop), a few

Brits (Waiters, etc.) and a T&T national (Hart), all to various

levels of success and disappointments.

The CSA should just strive to get the best individual regardless

of nationality. That person/candidate must be aware of the challenges

of the national programs and must be willing to play the style

of football that would bring us success on the field. And the old

style just doesn't cut it in CONCACAF.

Let us get it right. Bates was the Technical Director, he was not hired to coach a National Team. I think he wanted to coach more than actually do what he was hired to do. We are not talking about a National team Coach here. Most top class coaches will just look at what Canada have to offer, no serious commitment by the governing body, no money, see no National League and say HELL NO! So you end up with second best

quote:Originally posted by ANC2

Let us get it right. Bates was the Technical Director, he was not hired to coach a National Team. I think he wanted to coach more than actually do what he was hired to do. We are not talking about a National team Coach here. Most top class coaches will just look at what Canada have to offer, no serious commitment by the governing body, no money, see no National League and say HELL NO! So you end up with second best

The only benefit of bringing a big name coach into this country is that if he says the CSA needs more money to function correctly, or where the CSA should allocate their resources, the proper authorities are more apt to listen. I will tell you right now, we do have some great soccer minds in this country, but they sadly have nowhere to build their reputation or resume, so they are over-looked.

We need an astute political figure-head who can lobby local, provincial and federal governments. Kevin Pipe obviously is so stale that he should step aside. He has been there WAY TOO lONG. He has entrenched himself so much so that it is difficult for someone new to take over. I think he is sincere in his efforts and has stepped up to the plate, but the time for an overhaul is NOW.

Our youth up to the mid to late teens ARE COMPETITIVE on the international scene. I know that first hand. There are many progressive clubs that have provided a great arena for these talented players to develop. Then we lose them.

At present, I admit that I am a little myopic in that I am looking after the interests of my U-14 players, trying to guide them around the hurdles of the CSA. I would love nothing more than to see some of my players putting on a Canadian shirt. Believe me, I have several that are not only potential National players, but top professional candidates. So, having our technical director quit, is not great news, but you know what, my club will make amends for that. It's just the way it has to be.

The CSA needs an overhaul. How are we going to do this? Who is going to save the day?

I agree with most of what you say here. I would emphasize that having a marketable name coach also gives you someone to use with sponsors. The strategy would be to have the coach as the face of the national team (in the beginning) much like NCAA college basketball or football. It also would raise the importance having a coach that is fluent in English.

A good example of this type of coach (recognizing that our budget could not afford him) would be Carlos Alberto Parreira. His value has fallen substantially after Brazil's exit (apparently South Africa was looking at him and are reconsidering). Parreira speaks English. He has a marketable appearance and also has experience with weaker national teams. As for the approach, he could be an excellent technical Director so the position discription should go well beyond just national coach (technical director, national team coach, make himself available for meetings with business executives when soliciting sponsorships). Parreira would also fit nicely with MLSE if they were to "think big" (after all, the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan recently bought into one of Brazil's largest property developers) and if the CSA was willing to share a Coach. This also puts the National Team Coach in a position to see other coaching talent in the country and raise their profile.

I use this only as an example and there are others that would fit the bill. A name coach will also help in bringing our top players to play and introduce Canadian players into a much broader professional network. Unfortunately, I am afraid that our National Association is not capable of thinking too broadly.

quote:Originally posted by Grecko

The only benefit of bringing a big name coach into this country is that if he says the CSA needs more money to function correctly, or where the CSA should allocate their resources, the proper authorities are more apt to listen. I will tell you right now, we do have some great soccer minds in this country, but they sadly have nowhere to build their reputation or resume, so they are over-looked.

We need an astute political figure-head who can lobby local, provincial and federal governments. Kevin Pipe obviously is so stale that he should step aside. He has been there WAY TOO lONG. He has entrenched himself so much so that it is difficult for someone new to take over. I think he is sincere in his efforts and has stepped up to the plate, but the time for an overhaul is NOW.

Our youth up to the mid to late teens ARE COMPETITIVE on the international scene. I know that first hand. There are many progressive clubs that have provided a great arena for these talented players to develop. Then we lose them.

At present, I admit that I am a little myopic in that I am looking after the interests of my U-14 players, trying to guide them around the hurdles of the CSA. I would love nothing more than to see some of my players putting on a Canadian shirt. Believe me, I have several that are not only potential National players, but top professional candidates. So, having our technical director quit, is not great news, but you know what, my club will make amends for that. It's just the way it has to be.

The CSA needs an overhaul. How are we going to do this? Who is going to save the day?

Archived