Kennedy Owusu-Ansah on Trial with LA Galaxy

Grizzly

NECAXA DEFEATS GALAXY

Goal by Boas sinks Galaxy

By Andrea Canales

LASoccerNews.com Associate Editor

Ugo Ihemelu could not keep Necaxa's Kleber Boas off the scoreboard as the Galaxy lost 1-0 to the Mexican side in an international friendly on Wednesday.

Photo by Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images

CARSON, Calif. - The Los Angeles Galaxy fell to the Mexican League team Necaxa, 1-0, in an international friendly Wednesday night.

The game allowed Necaxa to avenge their last visit to the Home Depot Center, in which they were defeated by the Galaxy.

Coach Frank Yallop wasn’t really bothered by the outcome, however.

“I wasn’t too concerned with the result,” he admitted after the game. “This is about the players getting minutes and trying to impress me. I’m quite pleased with some of the performances.”

To that end, the Galaxy fielded numerous guest players, reserve players and trialists, notably Evans Wise, Stefani Miglioranzi and Kennedy Owusu-Ansah.

The first two players started the game. From the start of the match, the Galaxy had trouble establishing good rhythm in their passing game. Their defense, while enthusiastic, lacked organization at crucial moments.

Necaxa, which fielded a near-full strength lineup of probable season starters, took advantage.

In the eleventh minute, Mario Perez attacked aggressively on his side of the field, splitting the Galaxy defense on his charge into the box.

Goalkeeper Steve Cronin was able to block the shot of Perez, but unable to hang on to the ball. Kleber Boas, the Brazilian player formerly with Club America, volleyed the ball out of the air and into the goal with an impressive scissor kick.

“[Perez] did well, he had a little bit of pace and he got in behind our two guys on the right side,” acknowledged Cronin. “I couldn’t really shut down the angle, because as soon as I take a step out, he slips it in behind me and it’s an easy goal. He got it onto a point-blank range save and on another day, maybe I get a better rebound off that. [boas] did well to hit the ball – like almost a bicycle kick in the upper 90. Not a whole lot I could do out on the second one.”

Boas was pleased to make an impact with his new team.

“I was happy to help the team gain victory. It’s important to play well and help the team.”

After the goal, the play of the Galaxy improved, though their offense continued to sputter.

Cronin had a notable save on Nicolas Olivera near the end of the second half, after a poor backpass from Ugo Ihemelu was intercepted to allow Olivera alone in on goal. Cronin stopped the low shot with his feet and was also able to deny any rebound opportunity.

The Galaxy showed even better in the second half.

Owusu-Ansah provided a spark that pleased Yallop.

“For a sixteen year old kid who just arrived last night to step on the field like that - he looked a little bit nervous at times, but on his first touch, he nearly scored.”

The shot was tipped over the crossbar by goalkeeper Ivan Vazquez.

He was out of position on the next Galaxy chance, however. Wise beat his defender on his way to the goal. He entered the penalty area shadowed by the defender and drew out Vazquez before he centered a nifty pass to John Wolyniec. The forward attempted a slide to poke the ball home, but didn’t make good contact with the ball and it trickled just wide of the post.

Yallop praised the effort of the Trinidad and Tobago international.

“He’s got a bag of tricks, Evan. I’ve always known that. When he plays well, he’s got a ton of ability on the ball.”

Though the Galaxy failed to mount more credible opportunities on the Necaxa goal, the backline regrouped admirably to deny chances to the “lightning rays”. That spoke well for the other player under scrutiny, Miglioranzi.

“I like him,” admitted Yallop. “He’s done well in training. He’s a solid player.”

For Yallop, the game was as much a scouting opportunity as anything else.

“It gives me an idea of where players are at, good and bad. Some players have pushed themselves forward and some have gone backwards. It’s why we play games. A lot of questions are answered in 90 minutes of soccer. That’s what I look at. That paints all the pictures for me, playing in a game.”

He wasn’t announcing any signings that evening, though.

“It’s good to see these guys,” Yallop explained. “They’re trying to be available for us to sign them. I won’t let any secrets out. But we’ll do what we need to do. I was quite pleased with some of the performances.”

quote:Originally posted by loyola

In the case of KOA I would like him to find a club in Europe since he's a terrific prospect with a great future.

Agreed, MLS'll probably good enough for a season or two but a kid with his talent should be in the youth system of a major league, like EPL.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think he would be considered a youth international in MLS terms.

Yes he would, but I still don't think he can sign with the Galaxy withuot entering the draft at that age.

An example is a 17-year-old named Johnny Exantus, who the Red Bulls wanted to sign to a pro contract (he's in their youth academy), but MLS rules would have forced him into the draft. Now the Red Bulls are said to be waiting for the new MLS rule to be enacted which would allow clubs to keep players from their academies.

http://www.lasoccernews.com/article.php?article_id=299

OWUSU-ANSAH - PHENOM ON TRIAL

Younger than Adu, with skills of his own

By Andrea Canales

LASoccerNews.com Associate Editor

CARSON, CAlif. - Kennedy Owusu-Ansah played in three different games in five days. As part of the Canadian U-20 team, he faced off against a U.S. counterpart team in a pair of friendlies on July 7 and July 9. Then he caught a flight to appear in an international friendly against Necaxa Wednesday for the Galaxy.

His record for the stretch wasn’t as good as he’d hoped.

“The first game we lost, 2-1,” he related.

The Canadians bounced back, though, in the second match. “We tied, 1-1.”

In the match versus Necaxa, the loss was 1-0.

Owusu-Ansah played the entire second half for the Galaxy against Necaxa, though he’d never even practiced with the team before. There simply wasn’t time.

“I just came and played. [Yallop] told me I was going to play. He said, have fun. I tried. I did my best.”

He managed to impress Yallop enough that the coach is interested in a longer trial.

“He’ll probably be here at least a week,” said Yallop. “We’d like to carry him, give him a good week with us.”

The speedy player went in at right back and took a shot on goal on almost his first touch. It was a tricky play for Necaxa goalkeeper Ivan Vasquez to handle. Owusu-Ansah’s audacity drew pleased gasps from the Galaxy fans in attendance.

Yallop was aware of Owusu-Ansah’s ability.

“He’s only sixteen and I’ve seen him play four or five times for Canada. I know all about him.”

Like Freddy Adu, Owusu-Ansah’s heritage is from Ghana. He is younger than Adu, though, since he doesn’t turn 17 until next week, when he is expected to still be on trial with the Galaxy. Even if he does sign with the Galaxy, Josmer Altidore of Red Bull New York would still be the youngest current player on an MLS roster. Owusu-Ansah would be the next-youngest.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

.... but MLS until then is pretty decent.

Funny with all the discussion of the need for a National League and pointing to the acquisition of the Toronto MLSE franchise as a positive thing there is so much post-World Cup angst in the US of A that MLS may not be the best development tool for US Soccer.

Mind you of course at present, it is significantly better than anything we currently have in Canada.

well this is great news for a fantastic young player. playing mls at 16 would be great.

someone brought up the NYRB wanting a player who was 17. did i misinterpret what was written - because i wonder, what is the point of having individual youth programs if you can't cultivate your own talent. is the case, the mls should get serious and allow for free movement of players up and down in the youth/reserve leagues. honestly, it isn't a difficult concept. rooney was getting paid as a youth player when he scored against arsenal!

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

well this is great news for a fantastic young player. playing mls at 16 would be great.

someone brought up the NYRB wanting a player who was 17. did i misinterpret what was written - because i wonder, what is the point of having individual youth programs if you can't cultivate your own talent. is the case, the mls should get serious and allow for free movement of players up and down in the youth/reserve leagues. honestly, it isn't a difficult concept. rooney was getting paid as a youth player when he scored against arsenal!

You didn't misinterpret what was written. As of right now, MLS teams cannot sign players from their own youth academies. The League is looking to change this at the behest of several clubs, and will likely amend this rule as early as next season.

quote:Originally posted by bmac

Funny with all the discussion of the need for a National League and pointing to the acquisition of the Toronto MLSE franchise as a positive thing there is so much post-World Cup angst in the US of A that MLS may not be the best development tool for US Soccer.

what do they base that on?...since MLS, the USA has gone from a team in the nether regions of world football, toa guaranteed world cup finalist and favourite for the gold cup...the class of CONCACAF (along with mexico of course)...all this with a team overwhelmingly made up of MLS based players.

MLS has meant nothing but success for the states...they are now in amongst the traditional world powers in the sport....they were far from that before MLS.

quote:what do they base that on?...since MLS, the USA has gone from a team in the nether regions of world football, toa guaranteed world cup finalist and favourite for the gold cup...the class of CONCACAF (along with mexico of course)...all this with a team overwhelmingly made up of MLS based players.

MLS has meant nothing but success for the states...they are now in amongst the traditional world powers in the sport....they were far from that before MLS.

Now that they have risen to the level of a serious soccer power the Americans have unrealistic expectations and expect to be among the best every World Cup while forgetting what it was that got them to this level.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

what do they base that on?...since MLS, the USA has gone from a team in the nether regions of world football, toa guaranteed world cup finalist and favourite for the gold cup...the class of CONCACAF (along with mexico of course)...all this with a team overwhelmingly made up of MLS based players.

It's just irrational EuroCentrism. At least it is on BS.com. The idea seems to be that Landon Donvan failed in Germany, came back to MLS and failed in the World Cup and this World Cup failure is because he did not have the Euro experience, he could coast in MLS and still be successful, etc. Which is ignoring the fact that there were good Euros and bad Euros and good MLSers and bad MLSers across the US lineup. Gooch Onyewu looked inexperienced despite being in Europe, Cherundolo struggled despite being a European guy for years and years, Bocanegra's EPL experience didn't help him make the safe play against Ghana instead starting the series of events that led to the Ghana PK.

Dempsey stepped up and looked composed and solid, same with Conrad in a surprise fill-in role, Mastroeni was pretty good despite the red card . . . but it goes the other way too Convey was solid, Pope looked past it, Johnson looked like he needed more experience, etc, etc.

I don't think the World Cup did anything to prove or disprove the ability of MLS to prepare a player for major international competition, the US players failed or succeeded pretty evenly no matter where they played. But if you have an agenda to push you can certainly point to examples of any result based on their tournament.

cheers,

matthew

Archived