SSS in Newfoundland

Obinna

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Stop being sure. My post was not implying that British ancestry equals being 100% Canadian. By looking too much into my post, you are observing "subtle connections" that do not exist. If you wan't people to respond to your comments, why not start a thread? That will be more effective instead of bringing up this issue on a thread which is called "SSS in Newfoundland". And By the way, I am an Africian Canadian of Nigerian origin and I am also %100 Canadian.

You still might fail to see the point which everyone else obviously understands. If so, read Cheeta's comment, it is very true and summerizes the point quite well.

The Telegram said seating capacity is 6,500 (10,000 including standers)

Side note: People cram into King George for big games. During the 2002 National Challenge Cup Final, temporary bleachers held around 4,000 people, but the attendance estimates were closer to 10,000. People squeeze into this place anywhere they can. Standing up or sitting on the grass a few feet from the touchline, it didn't matter. People were even sitting on the roof of the change rooms, it was a Zoo.

And that Zoo created an excellent atmosphere.

I wonder if this will continue or will this venue become more professional by maxing attendence out at the official capacity?

A zoo sounds better than 5K in a stadium that sets 55K. U-20 games have proven that they don't have a market in Toronto. Smaller cities should get these games. Period.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Stop being sure. My post was not implying that British ancestry equals being 100% Canadian. By looking too much into my post, you are observing "subtle connections" that do not exist. If you wan't people to respond to your comments, why not start a thread? That will be more effective instead of bringing up this issue on a thread which is called "SSS in Newfoundland". And By the way, I am an Africian Canadian of Nigerian origin and I am also %100 Canadian.

You still might fail to see the point which everyone else obviously understands. If so, read Cheeta's comment, it is very true and summerizes the point quite well.

The Telegram said seating capacity is 6,500 (10,000 including standers)

Side note: People cram into King George for big games. During the 2002 National Challenge Cup Final, temporary bleachers held around 4,000 people, but the attendance estimates were closer to 10,000. People squeeze into this place anywhere they can. Standing up or sitting on the grass a few feet from the touchline, it didn't matter. People were even sitting on the roof of the change rooms, it was a Zoo.

And that Zoo created an excellent atmosphere.

I wonder if this will continue or will this venue become more professional by maxing attendence out at the official capacity?

I never really get it when people get so upset about the thread changing its focus or even shifting into a new topic. Threadjacking is one thing, but a natural and dynamic stream of conversation (or in this case, communication, is another). I mean, do you sensitive types actually go out and have a cup of coffee over one topic for an entire sitting? To me, this whole board is like a big coffee shop where everybody cares about Canadian soccer in one sense or another. If you don't like a topic changing, go play by yourself!!

I definetly think we should be hosting some matches out in KGV. I would love to attend a match out in Newfoundland.

No question it would be a strong pro-Canadian crowd, and I'm betting the pro-Canadian support would put the new TO stadium to shame (as would probably be the case almost anywhere in Canada).

• 1 month later...

quick note. the way it appears to me in this photo, the stands may not actually be quite as far away from the pitch as depicted here. It may have been the lower-standard program used to present the drawing which required the stands placed so far away. in reality they may actually be quite close.

the artist may also be of lower-talent or, as i suggested, handcuffed by the program available for use.

can we get a first-person account of the stadium? any newfies??? it's a nice little stadium, perfect for hosting matches at all levels, and i'd agree especially for those against the latin countries.

It reminds me a lot of Winnipeg Soccer Complex. Small and intimate and it doesn't look like too much, but gets the job done. It doesn't look like it's that big, but it's bigger than Vancouver no? If 2/3 is 5,320 . . . .

It's just stands on the three sides?It's still a tidy little ground and I'm all for them getting some games, though there's no way I can afford to fly to Newfoundland ever.

cheers,

matthew

There is really no reason for it to be larger. This is St.John's not often will we get more than 6500 for a challenge cup game. I wouldn't bet on too many NT games which is the only time capacity would need to be bigger. The bleachers are pretty close to the field all in all not bad. As for not being able to afford flying to NL, it is costing me over $700 round trip from St.Johns to Goose Bay for school. $700! Guess I'm spending Christmas in the Goose.

True.It probably would not have cost that much extra to add another 1500 seats especially for national team games which would be more likely with added capacity. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to put in more temporary bleachers if the need arises.

That field has sentimental meaning for myself.We won a Canadian U16 title on Oct 12 1987. Two years after another famous victory. :)Would love to return one day.

Why wouldn't the CSA kick in some of their "National Stadium" dollars to bump the seating capacity to 10,000ish? With the City of St. John's/province(not sure who funded this) already moving ahead with such a stadium the cost for additional grandstands couldn't be that great. With that you would have a great option for a mid-week match during the European season.

It really is lack of vision. We have all discussed this before, but in St.John's you are only 4+ hours from London and world away from Central America.

Or may be they are not able to use those funds for anything but a Toronto stadium.

I think it is good. If we were to hold a WCQ match there (and we should, in my view), why couldn't they erect temporary seating to accomodate a larger crowd. The Grey Cup does it every other year. And to have (and pay for) 10,000 plus just for local use seems a bit much.

Next step is for the CSA to use the place for a friendly vs. a Central American side (as a test run before qualifying).

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Or may be they are not able to use those funds for anything but a Toronto stadium.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Ontario and Toronto governments aren't looking to pay for a stadium in Newfoundland.

If we have a good qualifying run, we would have several home matches, some of which will certainly be in TO. But, not all I would assume (hope). This, in my view, would be the next best place. It is close to Europe, the fan base will be pro-Canada and the climate will be right. Just the place for the tough games.

I think we should have a men's friendly there so our players are used to the surroundings, etc... If we have a WC match there, it may well otherwise be the first time any of our own players have ever been to St John's.

We have to be thinking about maximizing home advantage in the World Cup. Our opponents certainly do. And the financial benefit of qualification will vastly exceed the short term benefit of a larger gate in TO. If the political interests re the TO stadium get bent out of shape....well, then let them.

Although, I wouldn't be stunned if someone promised someone a minimum number of men's team games in TO.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

It really is lack of vision. We have all discussed this before, but in St.John's you are only 4+ hours from London and world away from Central America.

You're only really 4 hours from London if there is a direct flight from London to St. John's. I'm not so sure that is the case.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I don't necessarily disagree with your other points, so I'll just respond to the above.

The US still struggles with away support outnumbering home support in many cities. While the USSF has no problem playing Mexico in friendly matches in places such as LA, Houston, San Diego, etc., they've learned not to ever play a home WCQ against Mexico in those areas.

The last two US-based hex matches against Mexico have been in Columbus, Ohio. The same goes for teams like Haiti, Jamaica, Guatemala, etc. You'll never see those teams take on the US in WCQ in major cities, but rather travelling to places like Birmingham, Raleigh, Seattle, Kanasa City, and Salt Lake.

As for the Aussies, their culture is far more sport-oriented than ours. Australia has mandated sports into their culture through schooling and similar initiative, and as such has created a fircely proud nation that gets behind all of its national teams.

It reminds me the same situation in my country when we play against Colombia. We usually have friendly matches in "pueblo Nuevo" stadium in the city of San Cristobal located at the limits to Colombia because the crowd is huge. but is we have to play against Colombia a home WCQ we usually play in Maracaibo or in Pueto ordaz. For the next COPA AMERICA 2007 Venezuelan team do not go to play in Caracas, because over there are many inmigrants from Argentina, Uruguay,Chile, etc . and most of the time the crowd from Caracas is not "hot" if our team receives a goal... LOL. I hope that Canada can play in a place with a pro-Canadians fans in a home WCQ like St Johns

Archived