Saputo Stadium: Olympic Park it is!

Daniel

I think it is. People will always bitch about the "location" but it is par for the course for pretty much any soccer stadium in the world except maybe England. We're talking 6 stations from Berri-UQAM, which is around 12 minutes. There is ample parking and it'll be good to see sports return to Olympic Park. Most of the complaints people have in their head are actually related to Olympic Stadium but they think it is with the site. Does anyone complain about how far Jarry Park is from anything? Nope, beacause it's a nice stadium and it's outdoors.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think it is. People will always bitch about the "location" but it is par for the course for pretty much any soccer stadium in the world except maybe England. We're talking 6 stations from Berri-UQAM, which is around 12 minutes. There is ample parking and it'll be good to see sports return to Olympic Park. Most of the complaints people have in their head are actually related to Olympic Stadium but they think it is with the site. Does anyone complain about how far Jarry Park is from anything? Nope, beacause it's a nice stadium and it's outdoors.

But if you saw CFCF News and the sports segment today, the way Ron Reusch was saying it, being out in the East End was a disaster for the Expos, Manic, Rocket, Alouettes and he predicted it would be a problem for the Impact. (by saying those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it). What is good is that an existing field is being renovated (something the MSO should have done with Theatre Maisonneuve instead of build another concert hall or <<glass shoebox>>).

Just a thought.

The English media in Montreal seems to forget why the stadium attendance died. It became home of losing teams, the Expos used to draw over 2,000,000 fans. No one used to have a problem showing up.

The site has better access than the Technoparc.

As Daniel said its fifteen minutes from the CCR Stadium.

From the late 70's untill the mid to late 90's folk went to the BIG O in numbers. I personally have been there about a dozen times and when in the late 90's through to present things went sour I couldn't understand how quickly opinions of a place changed.

Now I'm not a resident so I can't say another location may be better or worse and I realize we're talking about Olympic grounds not the BIG O. But I don't see a problem with the location. Just get 'er done guys.

Only 15 minutes from CCR that's good to know for my annual trek to Montreal. Hopefully I'll still be kickin' to catch an Impact game in the new digs.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Anglos are scared of the East End. The stadium will not be a disaster and is actually similarly placed than CCR. It is a bit far out but has two metro stops and is around 5-10 minutes from the highway.

Exactly, it's not like CCR is next to Molson Stadium! Put a good product on the pitch, and the rest will take care of itself.

the anglos who have stayed in PQ land aren't afraid of anything, even a metro ride east. Also the allophones are in the hood by minutes up Pie-Nine.

This is a much better location than the old autostade. No matter what they build, it won't be McGill.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

the anglos who have stayed in PQ land aren't afraid of anything, even a metro ride east. Also the allophones are in the hood by minutes up Pie-Nine.

This is a much better location than the old autostade. No matter what they build, it won't be McGill.

You can't beat McGill Stadium, but there is no land available to build a Stadium as close to downtown as McGill is. We have to accept thet and take what we can.

Guest speedmonk42

Well I am glad to hear the reaction is positive Daniel.

I just don't know the city well enough to decide.

I think if people have the constitution for CCR...

Archived