USL D1 - July 2 - Virginia Beach vs Toronto [R]

DJT

Virginia Beach Mariners (4-5-3, 7th place) vs. Toronto Lynx (0-2-8, 12th place)

Sunday, July 2, 2006 - 8:00 PM EDT

Virginia Beach Sportsplex (natural grass), Virginia Beach

No television, no radio, no Webcasts.

I have a feeling the Lynx will get their first win tonight!

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Does anyone care about the Lynx anymore?

In the sense that I feel really badly for Joe, Theo, Robbie, Titus, Diplacido and the rest (but particularly the guys who have been with the club for a long time), I guess I care.

db

For Immediate Release

Toronto Lynx Game Report

Lynx Swept Away at the Beach

Date: July 2, 2006

Venue: Virginia Beach Sportsplex, Virginia Beach, Virginia

Attendance: 1243

Kick Off Time: 7:00 PM EST

Final Score: Toronto 1 Virginia Beach 3

Match Summary:

The Toronto Lynx dropped a 3-1 result away to the Virginia Beach Mariners at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex in Virginia Beach this afternoon.

Toronto entered tonight’s match trying to keep the offensive momentum they created in their last two matches rolling, and did indeed open scoring in the 19th minute.

Damien Pottinger picked up Kevin Jeffrey’s pass and fired past Virginia Beach goalkeeper Matt Nelson to give Toronto an early lead.

Virginia Beach responded two minutes later when Ryan Mack beat Toronto goalkeeper Richard Goddard after a pass from Greg Simmonds. Both clubs exchanged chances before the break, but the score remained 1-1 at the half.

Toronto was reduced to ten men eleven minutes after the restart. Richard Goddard was shown red, and the former Trinidad and Tobago international was replaced in goal by Theo Zagar.

Virginia Beach made the best of their numerical advantage and took the lead in the 70th minute. John Nusum sent in a pass to Greg Simmonds who fired past Zagar to restore Virginia Beach’s lead.

The Mariners made it 3-1 two minutes later, and again it was Nusum who was involved in the play. He received Jakob Fenger’s pass and the former Lynx striker made no mistake putting the ball past Zagar. It was 3-1 to Virginia Beach at the final whistle.

Pottinger’s goal this evening was his first in Lynx colours. Theo Zagar made 4 saves after coming on in the 56th minutes.

Toronto is 0-9-2 after tonight’s loss and remains in 12th place of the USL First Division while Virginia Beach improves to 5-3-5.

Toronto is next in action when they take on the Vancouver Whitecaps at Centennial Park Stadium on Wednesday June 5th at 12:00 PM for the Lynx’ annual School Day matinee.

Notes: The Toronto Lynx have already played Virginia Beach twice this season. The first match ended 2-0 away to Virginia Beach in April while the second match ended in a scoreless draw at Centennial Park Stadium in June.

Final Score: Toronto 1 Virginia Beach 3

Lineups:

Toronto: Goddard (Zagar 56), Titus, Arango, Bedenikovic (Neto 74), Dekker (Chin 51), Mattachione, Diplacido, Dodds, Aristedemo, Pottinger (Sheppard 54), Jeffrey (Palleschi 70)

Virginia Beach: Nelson (Harrison 85), Schwarze, Shak, Woods, Low, Bilyk, Saraggirs, Fenger, (McFaul 78), Micklos (Nusum 68), Simmonds (Brillant 81), Mack (Herman 62)

Cautions: Toronto: Mattachione, Sheppard

Ejections: Toronto: Goddard 56

Shots: Toronto 6, Virginia Beach 18

Saves: Toronto 7, Virginia Beach 2

Fouls: Toronto 10, Virginia Beach 11

Scorers: Toronto: Pottinger (Jeffrey) 19 Virginia Beach: Mack (Simmonds) 21, Simmonds (Nusum) 70, Nusum (Fenger) 72

The Toronto Lynx’ next game is at home against the Vancouver Whitecaps on Wednesday July 5th at 12:00 PM.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

ROB IRWIN, MEDIA RELATIONS

416-251-4625 ext. 23

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Lynx will lose to the Whitecaps on Saturday. I won't be sorry to see them replaced by the Toronto MLS team.

Just through this message up so "analyst" can't delete his last post.

Maybe he just spent too long trying to figure out what day of the week the Vancouver game would be played on.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Lynx will lose to the Whitecaps on Saturday. I won't be sorry to see them replaced by the Toronto MLS team.

Just through this message up so "analyst" can't delete his last post.

Maybe he just spent too long trying to figure out what day of the week the Vancouver game would be played on.

Archived