Announcement regarding the National Soccer Stadium

rdroze

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I will take any soccer stadium I can get, but yes, that is as plain as it gets.

If Toronto's stadium is as plain as it gets...what is Montreal's going to be like for $15 million. I'm not trying to put down any city, I just think it will be really curious to compare all 3 stadiums if indeed all 3 get built.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Who are these 'most Torontonians?' The writer probably doesn't live here, and has failed to take any notice of the huge demograhpic and social changes that have gone on in Toronto over the past 30 years. Throngs of immigrants care. Increasing numbers of old-line Anglo and French-canadians are catching the soccer bug too.

Soccer will eventually become one of the biggest sports here in Toronto, and the sweetest part about it is that this hack journo, as well as Bob McCown and Dave Perkins, will be alive to see it too.

judging from the piss poor crowd at the US-Canada game....

quote: So it has convinced all three levels of government to pay most of the amount it will cost to build a stadium that MLSE will own after the fact (sic).

Yup, that's what happened all right. MLSE got the team first, then went to three levels of government and hypnotized them into building them a stadium. Always nice to see the facts getting reported as accurately as possible for a journalist to base an opinion piece on.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

haha, does the Post not want to piss off its Toronto readers?

If you build it, they won't come

National Post

435 words

6 July 2006

National Post

All but Toronto

Letters

Soccer stadium is a sure winner

Kevan Pipe

National Post

233 words

21 July 2006

National Post

Toronto

A15

English

© 2006 National Post . All Rights Reserved.

Re: If You Build It, They Won't Come, editorial, July 6.

The federal government is to contribute up to $27-million to build a 20,000-seat National Soccer Stadium at Exhibition Place in Toronto, with additional funds to be provided by the City of Toronto ($9.8-million) and the province of Ontario ($8-million). We should be proud that the three levels of government have shown leadership in championing this stadium.

With close to 900,000 registered participants, soccer is rapidly gaining popularity in Canada. This state-of-the-art venue will allow players to develop their skills and become the best that they can be in Canada's fastest-growing sport.

In addition, the facility will be available at least half of the year for community use at hourly rates comparable to other facilities in the GTA, with numerous free days also being offered.

As well, the stadium will play host next year to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup Canada 2007, which will be the largest single sport international championship ever to be staged in the history of sport in Canada.

This stadium indeed represents a new beginning for soccer in Canada. To paraphrase others, "Collectively, we are all building this stadium and the world is coming."

Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer, The Canadian Soccer Association, Ottawa.

quote:Originally posted by someproof

No wonder the mainstream media laughs at Canadian soccer.

I'd like Pipe to prove that the U-20 is the biggest international championship in the history of Canadian sport.

I would put the summer and winter Olympics ahead of it. I would also put various Canada Cups above it in terms of Canadian interest. The World Junior Hockey Championships are bigger in terms of a Canadian perspective. <div align="left"></div id="left">

Read the quote again. "the stadium will play host next year to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup Canada 2007, which will be the largest single sport international championship ever to be staged in the history of sport in Canada."

He specifically says "single sport" so the Olympics are not a factor in the this comparison.

While you may have a point re. the hockey competitions you mentioned, from a worldwide perspective, looking at the variety of participating nations and the potential worldwide attention, it far outstrips any hockey competition.

Time will tell for sure though. Let's see how full the stands are and how the international attention is.

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Read the quote again. "the stadium will play host next year to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup Canada 2007, which will be the largest single sport international championship ever to be staged in the history of sport in Canada."

He specifically says "single sport" so the Olympics are not a factor in the this comparison.

While you may have a point re. the hockey competitions you mentioned, from a worldwide perspective, looking at the variety of participating nations and the potential worldwide attention, it far outstrips any hockey competition.

Time will tell for sure though. Let's see how full the stands are and how the international attention is.

db

The 2001 World Track and Field Championships in Edmonton were a much larger event than the WYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAAF_World_Championships_in_Athletics

Pipe must be on drugs to write a letter like that.

A seating plan for the new soccer stadium can be found at Ticketmaster.ca. Simply click on one of the ticket packages listed for Toronto and the FIFA U-20 World Cup; there should be a link that says "view map".

In addition, there are some decent construction pics of the new stadium on the Toronto FC web page.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/MLS/t280/stadium/construction/

So far, not exactly Old Trafford, but I'll take the finished product over anything else we've got in this town right now.

Alex

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

The 2001 World Track and Field Championships in Edmonton were a much larger event than the WYC.

The WYC hasn't happened here yet, so I don't see how that can definitely be concluded either way - leaving aside the issue of whether Track & Field is a single sport (which I would argue is not the case).

Regardless of the size of the 2001 World T&F Championships in Edmonton, the WYC should be a big tournament. I can't remember specifics, but I believe the WYC is expected to bring in about $160 million worth of revenue. Given that the construction of a soccer stadium in downtown Toronto was one of the main selling points for Canada hosting this tournament, I'd say we're looking at a good investment.

I am no fan of Kevin Pipe but defending the stadium in the media is exactly what he should be doing. So what if he uses a debatable statistic about the size of the tournament the essence of his argument is still valid, that the stadium will be a major part of hosting a large, prestigious international tournament which will bring significant revenue to Toronto and other Canadian cities. I know some here think KP can do nothing right but at least save your criticism for when he is not doing his job properly.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The WYC hasn't happened here yet, so I don't see how that can definitely be concluded either way - leaving aside the issue of whether Track & Field is a single sport (which I would argue is not the case).

Yes, I was going to bring up both points. As for Kevan, why shouldn't he be defending the stadium project. It's his baby and the CSA has a lot riding on this. If he hadn't been defending the project, that would have been more of a question.

Archived