Announcement regarding the National Soccer Stadium

rdroze

Anyone know what this might be? A name for the stadium, perhaps? Or just politicians smiling and cutting ribbons?

Attention News/Assignment Editors:

Media Advisory - Official announcement regarding the National Soccer Stadium in Toronto

TORONTO, ON, June 30 /CNW Telbec/ - The Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister

of Finance and Minister Responsible for the Greater Toronto Area, the

Honourable Michael Chong, President of the Privy Council, Minister of

Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister for Sport, on behalf of the Honourable

Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities,

Ontario Public Infrastructure Renewal Minister, David Caplan, Parliamentary

Assistant to Ontario Health Promotion Minister, Peter Fonseca, together with

Toronto Mayor David Miller and Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, Chair of the Board

of Governor for Exhibition Place, will make an important announcement

regarding the new National Soccer Stadium in Toronto.

Dignitaries and representatives from Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment

Ltd. (MLSEL) and the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) will be available to

answer questions from the media following the event.

<<

Date: July 4, 2006

Time: 2:30 p.m.

160 Princes' Boulevard

Toronto, ON

Parking available in Lot F

>>

For further information: Infrastructure Canada, Communications and

Promotion, (613) 948-1148; Bruce Sudds, City of Toronto, (416) 392-1908; Julie

Rosenberg, Ministry of Health Promotion, (416) 326-4833

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/June2006/30/c7475.html

Neat idea! You usually see this sort of stuff done with indie bands ... we'll see how it goes with something that's measured on a larger scale.

The teams wont be working 100% though ... some of the bars they list in Ottawa ren't there any more. The Duke of Somerset closed up a couple years ago. Mother McGuinty's/Snug Pub/Black Rose/Heart n Crown is all the same place really, and Pub en Ville doesn't exist any more (now the Thirsty Scholar I guess).

FYI,

Toronto stadium project to have kickoff today

Peter Mallett

107 words

4 July 2006

The Globe and Mail

S3

English

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

Toronto -- A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held today at Exhibition Place as plans to start construction of a $62-million, 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium move ahead. Officials from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Infrastructure Canada and the Canadian Soccer Association will join politicians at the ceremony and are expected to provide new details about the project, which is reported to be ahead of schedule. The stadium is to be the centrepiece next summer of the under-20 World Cup tournament, which will also be played in Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa and Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

How timely of them to have a ribbon-cutting ceremony for a stadium that's 40% constructed.

I took some pictures of the venue on saturday two weeks ago( the day of chipped tooth and the Ita-USA). From what I captured, I would say that " 40% constructed" is quite a bit off. I might post them here if I get a chance but basically, the facade of one side was up ( no seats or anything ). That was it.

Here's the press release:

Canada, Ontario and Toronto announce the signing of a contribution agreement for the construction of the National Soccer Stadium at Exhibition Place

920 words

4 July 2006

11:29

Canada NewsWire

English

Copyright © 2006 Canada NewsWire Ltd. All rights reserved.

TORONTO, July 4 /CNW/ -- City on target to host FIFA Men's U-20 World Cup in 2007

TORONTO, July 4 /CNW Telbec/ - Today the governments of Canada and Ontario and the City of Toronto officially announced the signing of a contribution agreement for the construction of a new 20,000-seat soccer stadium at Exhibition Place. The stadium will help to stage the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) Men's Under-20 World Cup - Canada 2007, expected to be the largest single-sport event ever held in Canada.

The Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance and Minister Responsible for the Greater Toronto Area, the Honourable Michael Chong, President of the Privy Council, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister for Sport, Ontario Health Promotion Minister, Jim Watson, Ontario Public Infrastructure Renewal Minister David Caplan, together with Toronto Mayor David Miller and Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, Chair of the Board of Governors for Exhibition Place confirmed a joint funding package of up to $62.8 million. Minister Chong attended the event on behalf of the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. Parliamentary Assistant Peter Fonseca attended the event on behalf of Ontario Health Promotion Minister Jim Watson.

The Government of Canada is committing up to $27 million, the Government of Ontario is committing up to $8 million and the City of Toronto is committing $9.8 million. The City has also reached an agreement with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. (MLSEL), which will be committing $18 million ($8 million for the management rights and $10 million to secure the naming rights for the stadium). The stadium will be owned by the City of Toronto and be managed by MLSEL.

"This new stadium will make a positive contribution to the economy here in Toronto and the GTA", said Minister Flaherty. "It is a nice complement to a tax credit of up to $500 in eligible fees for sport and physical activity programs. Introduced in Budget 2006, this credit can be claimed for each child under the age of 16."

"This new facility will not only enable Toronto to host world-class events, such as the FIFA Men's Under-20 World Cup in 2007, it will also provide local community groups and soccer leagues with a new venue for recreation," said Minister Chong.

"The new stadium will provide Ontarians with year-round access to a world-class facility and further opportunities for athlete development," said Minister Watson. "It will also help promote increased physical activity and sports participation, especially among youth and create a legacy of public investment for healthy, active lives."

"Ontario's really getting into the game with this new soccer stadium," said Minister Caplan. "Right now, World Cup is drawing the attention of young soccer players around the globe. That's why the McGuinty government is on the side of these young athletes who will be playing for their own cup in this new modern sports facility next year."

"The City of Toronto is focused on making Toronto's waterfront more vibrant and welcoming by building on and enhancing our public spaces for the enjoyment of all Torontonians," said Mayor David Miller. "I'm pleased that the addition of the National Soccer Stadium to the Exhibition Place grounds is another step in realizing our vision."

"Exhibition Place is one of the most celebrated landmarks in Toronto, welcoming millions of visitors each year to participate in renowned events and celebrations," said Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone. "The National Soccer Stadium will be another opportunity for us to host Toronto residents and visitors for spectacular events and experiences."

The facility will be a regular home for the Toronto FC, a new Major League soccer team as well as a gathering point for thousands of players in the Greater Toronto Area, and will have an air-filled bubble roof erected over the playing surface during the winter months, guaranteeing community use throughout the year.

The Government of Canada's contribution comes from the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund, which supports large-scale projects of major national and regional significance, in areas that are vital to sustaining economic growth and supporting an enhanced quality of life for Canadians.

The Government of Canada's 2006 Federal Budget committed an unprecedented $16.5 billion over the next four years for infrastructure investments, including an additional $2 billion for the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund.

Under ReNew Ontario, the province, together with its partners, is investing more than $30 billion over five years to revitalize, modernize and expand public infrastructure. The Government has made significant progress in the first year of the plan with major investments in Ontario's healthcare facilities, schools, colleges and universities, transportation and public transit, and other priority infrastructure projects. Since the release of ReNew Ontario, in the 2006 Budget, the provincial government announced a new, $1.2 billion investment in Move Ontario, which will support public transit and provide funding for municipal roads and bridges.

Natalie Sarafian, Press Secretary, Office of Minister Cannon, (613) 991-0700; Adam Grachnik, Office of Minister Watson, (416) 326-8497; Gary Toft, Director of Communications , Minister for Sport, (613) 943-1833; Wilson Lee, Ministry of Public Infrastructure Renewal, Office of Minister Caplan, (416) 325-8735 ; Infrastructure Canada: Communications and Promotion, (613) 948-1148; www.infrastructure.gc.ca; Don Wanagas, Director of Communications, Office of Mayor Miller, (416) 338-7134

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I took some pictures of the venue on saturday two weeks ago( the day of chipped tooth and the Ita-USA). From what I captured, I would say that " 40% constructed" is quite a bit off. I might post them here if I get a chance but basically, the facade of one side was up ( no seats or anything ). That was it.

It was just a random number, but I think I actually heard the 40% thrown around somewhere. It had something to do with the fact that the excavating work is a large portion of overall construction.

The way Pipe was talking on the news clip I saw last night he made it sound like we are hosting the entire 2009 Gold Cup. Certainly there was no mention of a co-hosting for that tourney, but perhaps that's just the spin he was putting on it.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

It was just a random number, but I think I actually heard the 40% thrown around somewhere. It had something to do with the fact that the excavating work is a large portion of overall construction.

Maybe 40% of the actual stadium grandstands. Other buildings related to the site may be a ways off but not necessary for the practical use of the stadium. But true enough. On new construction it's surprising how quickly you can go from endless groundwork to finished standing structures in what seems like overnight. Timing is everything though.

So, I'm assuming a group for the Gold Cup 2009. Nice. Maybe as more info for this comes out more good news will follow. Maybe Vancouver and Montreal are working on becoming group sites. Chance to use their fancy smancy new stadiums. Now that would be interesting.

Were you there John? Or anyone else? I am curious about the following paragraph from a Star article by Morgan Campbell, specifically the bolded portion:

In addition to the FIFA tournament, the yet-to-be-named stadium will host games in the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup and is a big part of Canada's bid to land the 2011 Women's World Cup. Canada's men's national team has also agreed to use the stadium six times a year, Pipe said.

Did Pipe actually say that or is this a reporter getting more general statements about the agreement with MLSE wrong (which I believe stated 6 national team games but all age groups and genders as eligible)?

As for the 40% number, if the services are put in place and the foundation constructed, then 40% may be pretty acurrate. A lot of the work that needs to be done - and a substantial share of the expence - for a project this size is below ground.

The 6 dates were originally pitched as "national team", which supposed women and youth as well as senior. I can't imagine the senior men's team playing 6 home dates on Canadian soil per year (and on fieldturf!) when since 2000, we've seen 6 *TOTAL* (and none on artificial turf).

haha, does the Post not want to piss off its Toronto readers?

If you build it, they won't come

National Post

435 words

6 July 2006

National Post

All but Toronto

A12

English

© 2006 National Post . All Rights Reserved.

For the next few days, Canada will remain gripped in World Cup fever. And so the decision to spend millions of taxpayers' dollars to build a soccer stadium in downtown Toronto won't seem like such a bad idea. Then most Canadians will return to ignoring the sport, and we'll all wonder what on earth federal, provincial and municipal politicians were thinking.

The strategic timing of this week's announcement of up to $27-million in federal funding for the project notwithstanding, this earmark has been public knowledge for months. And while the construction at Toronto's Exhibition Place is pegged partly to next summer's FIFA World Under-20 Championship, to be hosted by Canada, the investment appears mostly geared to the city's new Major League Soccer team -- and, in turn, the company bringing it here, which hardly needs government assistance.

Canada's richest professional sports empire, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE), owns both the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Raptors. Under the majority control of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund and chaired by businessman Larry Tenenbaum, MLSE also owns the Air Canada Centre, is heavily involved in local real estate, and owns cable TV networks for both the Leafs and Raptors. It has been valued at more than $1-billion. The ownership of the Leafs alone is a virtual licence to print money.

If MLSE believes a soccer team is a worthwhile investment, then more power to it; let it invest the necessary funds itself. But clearly, MLSE knows that local demand for the professional brand of the sport -- a far cry from the international type that excites Toronto's ethnic communities -- won't sell enough tickets to justify a huge investment. So it has convinced all three levels of government to pay most of the amount it will cost to build a stadium that MLSE will own after the fact (sic).

It's bad enough that the cash-strapped Toronto and Ontario governments will be kicking in $9.8-million and $8-million, respectively. But it is absolutely indefensible that taxpayers across the country will fork over a combined $27-million so that Toronto can have a stadium that most Torontonians couldn't care less about.

"Perhaps in a few years we will become a real force in the international soccer community," Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said at Tuesday's announcement. Er, perhaps. But we have a difficult time imagining that building a stadium to sit empty on Toronto's lake shore is what will get us there.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

haha, does the Post not want to piss off its Toronto readers?

so that Toronto can have a stadium that most Torontonians couldn't care less about.

Who are these 'most Torontonians?' The writer probably doesn't live here, and has failed to take any notice of the huge demograhpic and social changes that have gone on in Toronto over the past 30 years. Throngs of immigrants care. Increasing numbers of old-line Anglo and French-canadians are catching the soccer bug too.

Soccer will eventually become one of the biggest sports here in Toronto, and the sweetest part about it is that this hack journo, as well as Bob McCown and Dave Perkins, will be alive to see it too.

The game Friday night at Rogers Centre might only confirm the skepticism expressed in that National Post editorial. I haven't seen any advertising. I checked on ticketmaster.ca to see what would be the best $29 ticket available (which you can do without actually buying one), and it showed me the same section and row as it did when I looked a month ago. Yikes! This could be a ridiculously small crowd -- maybe small enough to look around and count everybody one by one during the national anthems and be finished before the last "stand on guard for thee".

Maybe they had this "announcement" when they did to avoid having to answer some embarrassing questions.

And speaking of Dave Perkins -- "Stadium's funding worthy of red card"

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1152136215861

quote:Originally posted by Heepster

I haven't seen any advertising.

They've been running adds for at least the last week on radio station 102.1 the Edge. They even gave tickets away once on their morning show.

I've also seen a 1/4 page add in the Toronto Sun's sports section a few days ago.

Archived