CSL Open Canada Cup

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I can understand applying a filter to aspiring members but there are better ways of doing it than inflating the 'franchise' fee. No organisation should rely on selling new 'franchises' to pay the bills. Doing so spells inevitable doom as it is not sustainable. Operating expenses should be covered by operating revenues, not capital.

Of course you are correct. It's not healthy and, as you say, it is not sustainable as the NASL found out to it's ever lasting sorrow.

I would imagine that the CSL needs to get what it can get and however it can get it.

db

While Stan Adamson of the CSL was on the phone after the Shooters-Supra game last night, I took the phone and asked a few questions:

The venue and date for the Open Canada Cup is still to be determined.

The Toronto Lynx have their final two USL league games to complete. Friday September 8th they're in Montreal against the Impact and Sunday they're back in Toronto against Minnesota Thunder and then players will disband.

The Ottawa St Anthony Italia won't travel for a week night game (I suspect that as an amature team, the players have day jobs or school and can't get the time off). They are also preparing this weekend for their game in the Ontario Cup Final.

The game fixture will be announced with a few days notice so the CSL can promote it.

It looks most likely that the game will be played after the end of the Lynx season against a weaker Lynx side with enough players retained for the game.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

posted from cybermax internet cafe

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

The Ottawa St Anthony Italia won't travel for a week night game (I suspect that as an amature team, the players have day jobs or school and can't get the time off). They are also preparing this weekend for their game in the Ontario Cup Final.

Ontario Cup Final is on Sunday, September 17th. so that suggests that the Open Cup Final will not be until the following weekend?

Play the game next Wed/Thu (Sep. 13/14) in Ottawa. Nice warm-up for St. Anthony's before their Ontario Cup final, and should have the full Lynx team.

Probably get a few hundred people in Ottawa. Probably even more, but no time to promote it really. Promotes the CSL in Ottawa, maybe convinces somebody up there to invest in the league.

Or they can play it in the Toronto area and be lucky to get 50 people including all the players.

Archived