U-20 Lineup for USA Matches

Grizzly

Men’s U-20 Team

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Canada U-20 Roster Unveiled for USA series

Canada's Starting 11 vs Brazil on May 19th in Edmonton

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s U-20 National Team head coach, Dale Mitchell, has released his 18-man roster for the upcoming two-game series against the USA on July 7 and 9, 2006.

The matches against the US are scheduled to take place at Rogers Centre in Toronto on July 7th at 7:00pm ET and Richardson Stadium at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario two days later with the kickoff also scheduled for 7:00pm.

Tickets for the game at Rogers Centre in Toronto are priced at $19.00, $29.00, and $39.00 for sideline seating. Tickets can be purchased at Rogers Centre Box Office, at all Ticketmaster outlets, at www.ticketmaster.ca, or charge by phone at 416-872-5000. For groups of 20 or more, please contact Rogers Centre Group Sales department at 416-341-2255. Ontario Soccer Association (OSA) members can purchase discounted end zone tickets for $10.00 exclusively through the OSA at 905-264-9390.

Tickets for the match at Richardson Stadium in Kingston are priced at $29.00 for Centre Gold Reserved seating, $19.00 for Sideline Reserved seating, and $12.00 for General Admission seating. General Admission tickets for this match can be purchased at the Southeast Ontario Soccer Association at 613-546-6642, while all Reserved Seating can be purchased at the Physical Education Centre on the campus of Queen’s University at 613-533-6000 x 74715, and online at www.whatsonkingston.com and www.goldengaels.com.

While Dale Mitchell will be without some of his more veteran players, the head coach certainly sees the opportunity for some of the players included in this roster to impress against the talented Americans and prove that they deserve a roster spot in 11 months time when the Canucks kick off the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Toronto.

"With the majority of our European based players back with their clubs for pre-season training, this U.S.A. series will provide a good opportunity for our Canadian based boys. Many of this group did not get much of an opportunity against the Brazilians and therefore should be anxious to show well against the Americans. However, the games will be far from easy as the U.S. is normally very strong in this age group."

Since the two teams first tangled in October 1976, Canada and the USA have played 24 times at the U-20 level, with the Americans holding the advantage in the cross-border series with 11 wins to Canada’s eight. Five matches have ended in draws.

The last meeting between the two CONCACAF rivals took place in May 2005 in Blaine, Minnesota ahead of the FIFA U-20 World Championship in Holland. Canada opened the scoring in that match through current U-20 striker Will Johnson but the US responded in the first half with goals from Eddie Gaven and Freddy Adu to rescue a 2:1 for the Americans.

Canada’s last victory over the US was at the 2002 CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament in Charleston, SC. Canada raced out to an early 3:0 lead before the US pulled back two goals in less than four minutes (73rd and 76th min.). The Canadians eventually held firm for the 3:2 win, and thus claimed the top spot in the qualifying group and a place in the 2003 FIFA U-20 World Youth Championships in the UAE.

Match Information

July 7 - CANADA vs. USA – Presented by adidas

Rogers Centre, Toronto, ON – 19:00 ET

July 9 - CANADA vs. USA – Presented by CIBC

Richardson Stadium, Kingston, ON – 19:00 ET

Roster - CANADA

# Player POS DOB Club Hometown Prov.

1 GK MONSALVE, David National Training Centre - Ontario 21-Dec-88 Brampton ON

2 D OWUSU-ANSAH, Kennedy National Training Centre - Ontario 20-Jul-89 Toronto ON

3 D O'CONNOR, Kent 1860 Munich (Germany) 5-Mar-87 North Vancouver BC

4 M BALDE, Ibrahim Montreal Impact 24-Sep-87 Montreal QC

5 D LUMLEY, Stephen National Training Centre - Ontario 16-Apr-87 Mississauga ON

6 D ATTAKORA-GYAN, Nana National Training Centre - Ontario 27-Mar-89 Orangeville ON

7 D TURNBULL, Masumi University of Kentucky (USA) 30-Mar-87 Richmond BC

8 F ELLIOTT, Alex University of Portland (USA) 24-Apr-87 Vancouver BC

9 F DI IOIA, Massimo Montreal Impact 18-Jun-87 Montreal QC

10 M CONTRERAS, Hector National Training Centre - Quebec 24-Jun-87 Montreal QC

11 M BABINEAU, Olivier University of Montreal 12-Jul-87 Dieppe NB

12 M MAYARD, Pierre-Rudolph National Training Centre - Quebec 21-Feb-88 Laval QC

13 F LAMMIE, Selvin (Shane) National Training Centre - Ontario 3-Aug-88 Toronto ON

14 D/M GALA, Gabe National Training Centre - Ontario 29-Jun-89 Brampton ON

15 M/F D'AGOSTINO, Mike University of Kentucky (USA) 7-Jan-87 Langley BC

16 D LESLIE, Stefan Vancouver Whitecaps 23-Oct-87 Richmond BC

17 D LORETH, Joey Oregon State University (USA) 19-Jan-87 Victoria BC

22 GK CATLEY, Adam Hartwick College (USA) 19-Dec-87 Burlington ON

Staff

MITCHELL, Dale - Head Coach

DASOVIC, Nick - Assistant Coach

MULDOON, Kevin - Equipment Manager/GK Coach

LAING, Dwayne - Athletic Therapist

NUTT, Dave - National Teams Administrator

pretty weak side compared to the one that played Brazil. Was hoping to see Lensky but I assume he has gone back to Celtic. The one surprising omission is Christian Nunez who is domestic based and showed well against Brazil. Lets hope the reason for his absence is the fact he was signed by a European club.

I think if recollection serves me correctly, only Stefan Leslie of the Vancouver Whitecaps has not appeared for the U-20s before.

OTTAWA - Canada's under-20 men's soccer team will be missing some veteran European-based players for its two-game series with the

CP

251 words

21 June 2006

21:21

Broadcast News

English

© 2006 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

OTTAWA - Canada's under-20 men's soccer team will be missing some veteran European-based players for its two-game series with the United States in July, the team announced Wednesday.

The 18-man roster for the friendlies, which will be played July 7 and 9, includes three players born in 1989 (Gabe Gala, Nana Attakora-Gyan and Kennedy Owusu-Ansah) and three in 1988 (Shane Lammie, Pierre-Rudolph Mayard and David Monsalve).

"With the majority of our European-based players back with their clubs for pre-season training, this U.S.A. series will provide a good opportunity for our Canadian-based boys," head coach Dale Mitchell said in a release. "Many of this group did not get much of an opportunity against the Brazilians and therefore should be anxious to show well against the Americans.

"However, the games will be far from easy as the U.S. is normally very strong in this age group."

Mitchell's squad recently finished a three-game series against Brazil's under-20 team. The Canadians posted a 2-1 victory in Edmonton and 3-1 losses in Victory and Burnaby, B.C.

None of the four players who scored for Canada in those games - Antonio Lombardo, Andrea Lombardo, David Edgar and Will Johnson - is on the roster for the games against the U.S.

Who the hell is this "Antonio Lombardo" that they are talking about? Andrea Lombardo's evil twin brother?

Lombardo by the way is Canada's all time leading scorer against Brazil with his two goals, moving ahead of Dale Mitchell, Eddy Berdusco and Tomasz Radzinski who all have one (along with Edgar & Johnson).

Disappointing from a spectator/fan point of view that so many Euro-based players won't be there for this game, I would have thought that they wouldn't be called back to their clubs until after the World Cup, but I guess not. However squad depth is a good thing.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

pretty weak side compared to the one that played Brazil. Was hoping to see Lensky but I assume he has gone back to Celtic. The one surprising omission is Christian Nunez who is domestic based and showed well against Brazil. Lets hope the reason for his absence is the fact he was signed by a European club.

I think if recollection serves me correctly, only Stefan Leslie of the Vancouver Whitecaps has not appeared for the U-20s before.

Christian Nunez is currently on trial at Lyn Oslo, John Obi Mikel's old club.

He scored in today's friendly against Hønefoss BK, could you describe the player?

It would be intersting to know if he has a european passport aswell, I've heard he's speaking spanish.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by lynoslo

Christian Nunez is currently on trial at Lyn Oslo, John Obi Mikel's old club.

He scored in today's friendly against Hønefoss BK, could you describe the player?

It would be intersting to know if he has a european passport aswell, I've heard he's speaking spanish.

Don't think he has a European passport. All I have seen is a pretty decent passing mid, knows how to handle the ball, has a bit of tactical sense, works hard. We don't know him as a goal scorer. I think he can develop well but will need some time to get used to the pro pace I think.

Archived