Australian who wants to know about Canadian soccer

Guest Solskjaer

Guest Solskjaer

Hi there!

I'm a soccer fan (or football fan, as I prefer to call it) living in Sydney, Australia.

As much of a fan of the beautiful game as I am, as it stands I know absolutely nothing about Canadian football.

I've ventured to these forums to see if I can find someone to enlighten me.

I'm going to be in Canada for around 3 weeks in about 2 weeks time. The majority of my time will be spent in Toronto.

I would like to learn about Candadian soccer.

Is there a national league? Is it a professional league? Where can I find out about this league and its participating teams?

There's a lot I'd like to know, is there anyone who might be able to help?

Thanks in advance.

Soccer is not in a good state in Canada these days. We don't have a national league, it folded in the beginning of the 90's. All we have at the professionnal level (some would even say semi professional) is three teams in the american second division, the USL first division (United Soccer Leagueshttp://www.uslsoccer.com/). There is one in Montreal that has a lot of success, with more than 10 000 people in the stands for each game, there is another one in Vancouver that is also doing well and there is the Toronto Lynx who won something like three games in the last two years and have rarely more than 1500 people in the stands. They play in Etobicoke wich is a little outside Toronto.

After that there is the newly renamed CSLhttp://www.cpsl.org/, Canadian Soccer League. To me it's more like the Ontario Soccer League as all of it's team except one are from Ontario. If you are in Toronto there is a good chance you can see a game during the week end.

Next year it will change a little as Toronto FC will come alive. This new team will play in a new stadium in Toronto. It will be in the MLS, the american first division. But until then there is not much soccer to watch in Toronto.

Guest Solskjaer

Thanks for your replies, the information has been helpful.

It seems the current situation in Canada is not dissimilar to how it was in Australia just a little over 2 years ago. However, we seem to have overcome any obstacles over here with a new professional 8-team national league (the 'A-League'), the success of the competition heightened by World Cup qualification for Australia (and now progression to the round of 16! :D).

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of information about local games I might be able to watch during my stay in Canada?

Archived