Dale Mitchell Live Webcast June 14

Regs

Just a heads up that we will have Dale Mitchell on the Up Front Webcast < http://www.takethepiss.com/index.php?page=upfront > tonight and will definitely be asking him about his interest in the MNT HC position as well as his thoughts on Yallop leaving and of course, the U20s.

The show begins at 9:00PM Pacific with Dale schedule to be on around 9:15. If you have any questions for Dale, you can either send an email to us at live@takethepiss.com or during the show, send questions through the dialogue box found within our webcast player.

Full show announcement can be seen/commented on here: http://www.takethepiss.com

Cheers,

~Regs.

Silly you is right, Ian, considering you sent in a couple of questions for Dale of which all were discussed :)

Archive will be available whenever I can find the time to index it... unfortunately, that more than likely means mid next week.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Sily me is right! It slipped my mind as I was up to my eyeballs with work and home duties. I thought that it was another night. My bad!

I would love to read or listen in the future. In the meantime, Regs, can you list the major points here?

Thanks, mate!

Cheers!

I will try to give a short summary. It was a very good interview both in terms of questions asked and the answers given. Regs it says on the site that the show will not be archived anymore which would be a real shame because for many here it is difficult to listen to it at its scheduled time.

Asked who he favoured to win the cup he said Brazil initially but that some other teams looked better. He said Brazil comes to play any tournament for a month or in other words uses some initial games as preparation and improves throughout the tournament while other teams are just trying to make the next round. Said he still picked them to win but didn't seem as convinced as at the start of the tournament.

Mentioned our U-20 team is getting a lot of preparation for the WYC and that they have some strong players but still some uneveness in the lineup and weak spots that they have to fill, similar to every Canada youth team.

Talked about DeGuzman situation, seemed to know a lot about his background and the possible reasons for playing for Holland. Niall Thompson and Reed disagree on whether you should play for your country with Thompson saying you should play for the best country (stated he would have played for England if he was good enough and had the opportunity) and Reed saying you should play for your country. Mitchell says that this issue is a fact of the soccer world today with so much mobility in the world. He says his father would have killed him had he played for any other country but since he never had the choice he would not put himself in someone else's shoes regarding what he would do in their situation. Mentions that both he and Steven Hart have tried to get JDG for a long time and continue to do so. He recognizes that JDG has been in Holland a long time but also that it is very hard to get citizenship in this country and no player has ever gotten citizenship to play for their national team.

In regards to the Fernandes situation (which the announcers put to him very bluntly) he first jokes do you have an hour or two. He states Fernandes was first called in by him when he was at Porto and they all saw that he had all the skills to be an excellent keeper. However, they did not feel that he was the best keeper at the time and that he can't make playing decisions based on whether someone has another passport and could possibly play for another country down the road. Only official games cap tie a player and it is his first priority as coach to win games and qualify for tournaments. Mentions that they tried to convince Fernandes to stay at Porto. Fernandes was unhappy with his playing time but Mitchell said they tried to convince him that since he was only 18 he should wait and train there until he got a chance. Feels that Fernandes hurt his career by moving around so much and did not develop as much as he would have had he stayed at Porto.

He was asked whether he was interested in the Men's National Team position and he stated that he wanted to see the U-20 project out but he was definitely interested to become national team trainer.

Named Bruce Wilson as best Canadian player.

Afterwards the two hosts commentated on the Canadian World Cup announcers and stated they liked Forrest didn't like Howard and that Rauter and Dobson were embarassing. I don't always agree with these guys but you have to give them credit for being honest with their opinions on the air.

I was impressed by Mitchell in the interview. He seemed much more honest and knowledgeable than Yallop who sounded like a politician and often seemed ignorant of many things that most posters here know. Seems to make a good effort to see his players and know about their background.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

In regards to the Fernandes situation (which the announcers put to him very bluntly) he first jokes do you have an hour or two. He states Fernandes was first called in by him when he was at Porto and they all saw that he had all the skills to be an excellent keeper. However, they did not feel that he was the best keeper at the time and that he can't make playing decisions based on whether someone has another passport and could possibly play for another country down the road. Only official games cap tie a player and it is his first priority as coach to win games and qualify for tournaments. Mentions that they tried to convince Fernandes to stay at Porto. Fernandes was unhappy with his playing time but Mitchell said they tried to convince him that since he was only 18 he should wait and train there until he got a chance. Feels that Fernandes hurt his career by moving around so much and did not develop as much as he would have had he stayed at Porto.

I,ve always been amazed by the number of posters who have been suggesting that it was Mitchell fault if DF was playing for Portugal now because he could've cap tied him in 2002. I totally agree with Mitchell when he says that he cannot make a decision base on the possiblity for a player to play for another country, that would be a total lack of respect for the other players in the team.

BTW, I'm not totally sure DF hurted his career that much by moving around like he did. He's a starter in a pretty decent european league at only 23.

Guest Jeffery S.

If that was Mitchell's answer re Daniel then credit to him, he was discreet and honest and I don't think he was trying to damage the player or was obsessed about defending himself, so good for him.

Since there was no real option for Fernandes with Portugal at the start of things, back when he was 18, Mitchell is right enough to say he could not worry if he'd be capped by them.

In any case he errs in the Porto question as he does not know the details, which I can't go into too much either. Let's just say that Fernandes had some doubts about the way that the club itself was treating him, and considering he had been benched for the semi-finals and final of the Portugal junior championship because he doubted about signing a longer contract with the president of the club, preferring to keep open other options (it was still April, end of a season), and that other players sided with Fernandes, and that many thought they lost the final because Daniel was benched, I'd say that he made a good decision.

Celta did not pan out because he had others ahead of him there, but he could not have known that. At least he trained with the fist team, with some top internationals, and got experience in that department. But Porto is worse, they had and still have the same starter (Baia) and it would have been very hard to play at all for the first team if he'd stayed.

Lets compare two countries: One has a promising keeper on the fringes of their program for a numebr of years and finds no way to cap tie him even though they awknowledge that they recognized the skills. They dilly dally and loose the player as a result.

A second country shows up, displays a few minutes worth of interest in the player, has no baggage since they never had to cut him from anything. They dangle some possibilities in front of him and cap tie him as an overage player in a meaningless - but official - youth game. Although the player is no further ahead in the depth chart in the second country than he was in the first, and indeed is probably further away from a start, he is now committed to the second country.

Guess which country is the third world soccer nation? I'll give you a clue, its not the nation that was able to pilfer the player with very little effort. I'll not criticize Mitchell for not starting Daniel in 2002 (the results speak for themselves), but I will criticize the national team program generally for mishandling Fernandes. Sometimes you have to be cynical and strategic in your capping, especially if you are a nation like Canada and can not afford to lose even one international quality player - real or potential.

Yes, well, let's just hope Dutch immigration laws remain as tight as ever; we'll get DeGuzman even if we are his second choice. Of course, I'd love for him to come to his senses in time for the WYC next year.

Come on, if you can't love the one you want, ...

Archived