More soccer docs on CBC Newsworld

sstackho

World Cup fever comes to CBC Newsworld with four documentaries celebrating the world's most popular sport:

First up, The Other Final - Sunday, June 11 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. Himalayan nation Bhutan and Caribbean island Montserrat were the two lowest-ranked teams on the FIFA table. So on the same day as the 2002 World Cup Final in Japan, the two teams competed in their own final. This engaging documentary demonstrates that football can be about more than winning matches.

Then, Maradona, The Golden Kid airs Tuesday, June 13 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. It's the rise and fall of one of football's greatest stars-a player whose skill on the playing field has only been matched by the media's interest in his life.

That's followed by The Game Of Their Lives - Monday, June 19 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. Thirty-five years ago, at the height of the Cold War, an unknown team from North Korea rocked the sporting world by defeating Italy, one of the favorites in the 1966 World Cup. Today, the giant-killing team is finally able to tell its story, a story which is much more than just a football film.

And finally, catch Montreal, Soccer Planet - Tuesday, June 20 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. For many Montrealers, soccer remains a source of endless fascination and national pride. The African League, Haitian League and Latino Leagues are only a few of the numerous soccer leagues established in Montreal. They have been thriving for years and attract thousands of players, summer after summer. While these leagues are very well known in their respective communities, they are still largely ignored by most of the general public.

MORE ON THE DOCUMENTARIES

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/soccerdocs.html

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

I'd really like to see the Montreal program... any chance of a torrent?

There's a guy who captures most CBC documentaries and posts them on Usenet in alt.binaries.documentaries and alt.binaries.multimedia. The other soccer docs CBC has shown are on there.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

That's followed by The Game Of Their Lives - Monday, June 19 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. Thirty-five years ago, at the height of the Cold War, an unknown team from North Korea rocked the sporting world by defeating Italy, one of the favorites in the 1966 World Cup. Today, the giant-killing team is finally able to tell its story, a story which is much more than just a football film.

I believe this one is postponed due to Game 7, which means The National is shown on Newsworld at 10.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I believe this one is postponed due to Game 7, which means The National is shown on Newsworld at 10.
I don't know what happened at 10, but it is definitely being shown right now at 1:00 AM EDT, which is the usual timeslot for doc repeats.

Archived