Canada was more of a nation back in the early 90's

Moosehead

when it had its own Canadian Pro Soccer League. It is key of sovereignty that a country would have its own league. Despite, the 1 MLS team in Toronto, we still need to set up a Canadian Soccer League.

I think this time it would be sucessful. The owners in Montreal and Vancouver have the resources to get one done. Reduce travel costs as that was a reason for the failure of the previous league. I am more interested in watching Vancouver play Calgary or Victoria then Minnesota.

If Kerfoot can afford the Vancouver stad, he can afford to build a a 3,000 seater stad in Calgary and Saskatoon to get a Canadian league up and running.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

If Kerfoot can afford the Vancouver stad, he can afford to build a a 3,000 seater stad in Calgary and Saskatoon to get a Canadian league up and running.

Who is to say that he is even interested in that scenario, especially when all indicators point towards the Caps joining MLS in the future.

As a Whitecaps fan, I would much rather remain in the USL than play in a mickey mouse league with Calgary and Saskatoon.

Modern Canadian attitudes about pro sports have killed any hopes of a successful Canadian league. We are too entrenched with US sports culture for anything domestic to succeed.

If a Canadian league were to move forward (and it won't for at least a few generations) soccer fans will always turn their heads because the "real" competitive leagues with big cities are south of the 49th.

And here's a suggestion - if Kerfoot can afford to build a stadium, why the hell can't SOMEBODY ELSE step up and do the same? Ranting that it's his responsibility is ludicrous.

Besides, he's not going to sink his wealth into a money losing Canadian operation full of sparsely populated cities when there's no shortage of big city competition in the States.

League soccer is still not a major draw in this country, and as such Canada can only sustain teams in three cities - Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal.

Anyone considering a pro franchise elsewhere should have their bankruptcy papers pre-signed.

It is key of sovereignty that a country would have its own league.

Canada's most popular stadium sport is hockey. Do we have a domestic pro league? Nope, we are small fish in a big American pond. I don't feel my sovereignty threatened, do you?

when it had its own Canadian Pro Soccer League. It is key of sovereignty that a country would have its own league. Despite, the 1 MLS team in Toronto, we still need to set up a Canadian Soccer League.

I think this time it would be sucessful. The owners in Montreal and Vancouver have the resources to get one done. Reduce travel costs as that was a reason for the failure of the previous league. I am more interested in watching Vancouver play Calgary or Victoria then Minnesota.

Imagine the 80 Million in welfare that the MLSE got to get involved with a single team would have spent developing soccer facilities on a small scale right accross this country. 8 region centres geting 10 million to put in 3 field surfaces a 5K stadium. Allow local bus to operates bubbles all winter....Make the league a Canadianversion of the PDL.

In 10 years (much like Norway) we'd be further ahead than we will be when the MLSE moves the team to Cleveland.

We do have a domestic pro hockey league in Canada and the women are on their way to forming one. Its now time for soccer.

Sport is culture nowadays and Australia has realized this for a long time. Its time that Canada had its own pro soccer league to protect its own culture and identity. I am tired of we can't have our league and we have to have one with the United States. All that shows is our low self worth and lack of confidence. This same inferiority complex exists in the business world where superior world leading Canadian companies lose out or need to join venture with American companies because of the inferiority complex of Canadians that Canada cannot compete with the rest of the world. I would rather cheer on Vancouver vs. Victoria or Calgary than the Minnesota Thunder.

I don't expect Kerfoot to form a Canadian league. I also believe it would be great to have others step forward and do something similar for soccer that Kerfoot has done. I just was indicating that he has the resources and know how to get one done.

As a Whitecaps fan, I would much rather remain in the USL than play in a mickey mouse league with Calgary and Saskatoon.

I would much rather be in a so called Canadian mickey mouse league (although I doubt it would be that much different in quality from the USL) and have a longer season and league that would get more media attention being a Canadian League. Also a league that could be structured to provide an outlet for our youth players.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Just as Toronto fans would rather be in MLS, than play in a mickey mouse league with Vancouver and Montreal. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Modern Canadian attitudes about pro sports have killed any hopes of a successful Canadian league. We are too entrenched with US sports culture for anything domestic to succeed.

This is true. I think the only way for Canadian pro soccer to succeed, is within MLS and USL. I think the ideal (fantasy) pro pyramid within a decade would be:

Div. 1 = MLS (3) - Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal (yes, irony noted)

Div. 2 = USL D1 (6) - Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, Quebec

Div. 3 = CSL - basically something like the CHL with about 60 teams coast-to-coast

And then a true Open Cup competition with all the teams to crown a Canadian champ. Maybe even more of a mini-league competition like the 9 teams in MLS/USL + 7 qualifiers in like 4 groups of 4 or something so has more of a league feel to it. With the winner going to the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

I agree with your general sentiment. That said, our hopes for a future Canadian league will only have a chance if MLS fails.

I personally would love to see a Canadian soccer league with similar attendance and playing level to the CFL. I don't see this as realistic anytime in the near future which is why I support the MLS model. Regardless of which model one supports, your assertion that Canada was more of a sovereign nation in the 90's because we had a low playing level poorly attended national soccer league is completely ridiculous. Canada may be more, less or at a similar level of sovereignity than it was in the 90s but regardless of which view you hold, the current state of the nation has very little to do with a national soccer league.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I Canada may be more, less or at a similar level of sovereignity than it was in the 90s but regardless of which view you hold, the current state of the nation has very little to do with a national soccer league.

I believe he meant that (sovereignity) in soccer terms.

We do have a domestic pro hockey league in Canada and the women are on their way to forming one. Its now time for soccer.

Uhm, which one is that? The NHL, AHL, ECHL all have american teams in them. The CHL isn't pro, and also has quite a few american teams. Obviously teir 2 and 3 Jr. Hockey isnt pro.

Archived