Is there anyone awake at the CSA

G-Man

Recently a bunch of teams have hit North America to play freindlies. From Northern Ireland to Bayern Munich. But our National team sits without a game all summer. Surely Canada could have played at least one or two of these teams in Montreal or elsewhere. I mean NY Redbull played Bayern Munich in front of 5k at Giants Stadium. We surely as Nation could be a better draw.

Just what are they doing in Ottawa?

It's a SHAM. A total SHAM.

Guest Jeffery S.

Was just now looking at a tour by Colombia of Europe, playing Poland and winning tonight (goal scored by a long punt from the Colombia keeper), Germany on the 2nd, are here in Barcelona vs. Morocco on the 4th. That is a money-making tour mostly, they are paid to give two WC teams a good game, then are here hoping to draw some of the immigrant population to a match.

In any case, if you work things out right, you can get the friendlies and probably make some money off them. I would not recommend three games in a 6 days normally, but if you have 22-23 players with you there is no reason you can't do two in a week or three in 10 days.

This was the logical option for Canada these days, a short tour in Europe, not a friendly vs. a club in Canada. By the way, since the Holger days the CSA has usually refused to play anything more than a scrimmage in practice with a club team, and even then only with an amateur or university side. I even heard years ago that they would not play a side from a Spanish region, like the Basques or Catalans. I am not sure if these policies have been altered or softened since Yallop came on board. In any case, I could make an interesting list of FIFA teams that have played regional sides in Spain over the past 10 years, making me wonder what would make Canada so special.

While I agree it's disapointing not to have any friendly between march and september let's hope we'll have more games in 2007 and 2008. I don't see the necessity for Canada to play pre-WC games since we aren,t involve in the tournament, yes it would've been a good opportunity but maybe it's better to let our players alone at this time of the year since we'll need them in 2007 for the Gold Cup and in 2008 for the WCQ at the same time.

BTW, I think the CSA is doing a great job with the U-20's. They have an impressive 2006 schedule. With already 5 home games ;).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

While I agree it's disapointing not to have any friendly between march and september let's hope we'll have more games in 2007 and 2008. I don't see the necessity for Canada to play pre-WC games since we aren,t involve in the tournament, yes it would've been a good opportunity but maybe it's better to let our players alone at this time of the year since we'll need them in 2007 for the Gold Cup and in 2008 for the WCQ at the same time.

BTW, I think the CSA is doing a great job with the U-20's. They have an impressive 2006 schedule. With already 5 home games ;).

I agree. It's not as if our senior MNT players are not getting any playing time at all, they get plenty. Aside from entertaining home fans I don't see any particular advantage to the MNT program in spending valuable resources exercising other countries' teams prior to their participation in WC 2006. Better to spend the resources on the U-20s as the CSA is doing then refocus on the senior team next year.

This constant whining about the CSA is so counterproductive. Sure, we don't always agree with the way they do things but despite the opinion of some they are not all idiots at the CSA. There are usually valid reasons for most of what they do. And in my opinion we would all get much better results working WITH the CSA and encouraging them than constantly tearing them down. Like it or not the CSA is our national governing body, get used to it. if you don't like the way the organisation is run, lobby through your clubs, districts and provincial associations for a change in the board of directors - they are the ones who set the policies to be followed by the CSA employees.

I too am dissapointed that our Senior men's squad is not playing more games this year.

To improve our team we need to play more games. I don't think there is a team in Concacaf that plays fewer games than our Senior Men's Team.

More games will be more positive exposure for our young talented players. Especially at this time of year when alot of scouts are watching these warm-up friendly games closely.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

This constant whining about the CSA is so counterproductive. Sure, we don't always agree with the way they do things but despite the opinion of some they are not all idiots at the CSA. There are usually valid reasons for most of what they do. And in my opinion we would all get much better results working WITH the CSA and encouraging them than constantly tearing them down. Like it or not the CSA is our national governing body, get used to it. if you don't like the way the organisation is run, lobby through your clubs, districts and provincial associations for a change in the board of directors - they are the ones who set the policies to be followed by the CSA employees.

I know you are a supporter of the CSA and so be it. However, I was surprised to read you saying "they are not all idiots at the CSA.", which of course makes me wonder that some are idiots. Are you having seconds thoughts or do you agree that some of the things the CSA does or does not, merit questioning?

I agree that the only forseeable venue to implement change at the CSA level is through clubs, districts and provinces. Do you really believe that that is possible, having into consideration that clubs and districts are always competing politically with one another, to say nothing of provincial associations. Surely, united we will win, but can't see all provinces uniting to install a whole new CSA board.

Constant whinning may be counterproductive as you say, but hell, it makes one feel better having discharged one's frustrations and seeing support from others just as frustrated.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I too am dissapointed that our Senior men's squad is not playing more games this year.

To improve our team we need to play more games. I don't think there is a team in Concacaf that plays fewer games than our Senior Men's Team.

More games will be more positive exposure for our young talented players. Especially at this time of year when alot of scouts are watching these warm-up friendly games closely.

How many players on our last MNT exhibition game team were not already signed by pro clubs? If you're looking for exposure for young Canadian players then look at the U-17, U-20 and U-23 levels, not the senior team and the CSA has been doing well with games at those levels.

Well, if some of you who are always complaining about the CSA could give some positive comments once in a while instead of counting the number of assistants coaches we bring to a certain friendly it would give you more credibility.

I've criticize the CSA for a certain number of things (home friendlies and WCQ preparation for example) but I,ve also express my satisfaction with the way they have been running our youth teams for a while, I think they're doing a good job.

I,ll put it that way, does some of you think that the CSA isn't doing a good job with the current U-20 teams?

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I support the CSA because it is our national governing body but my support is not carte blanche. When criticism is warranted I will criticise but as constructively as possible and the reference to not all being idiots was deliberate hyperbole. Constant negativity by those who are looking to get something out of the CSA will achieve nothing but ill will which only damages the game and everything/everybody associated with it. Anybody who has any management or leadership understanding appreciates that harsh criticism may be warranted on rare occasions but one stands to get what one wants far more readily through positive reinforcement, example and encouragement.

As for lobbying for change - if you don't agree with my approach what would you suggest as an alternative?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

As for lobbying for change - if you don't agree with my approach what would you suggest as an alternative?

I think that changes have to come from within. If there is a will to listen and represent they (the CSA) could start a series of symposiums accross the country and finish with a summit. Financial resources can always be rearrenged later.

The CSA deserves credit for the U20 program. And since we are

hosting the WYC in 2007, we have no choice but to work hard to

avoid embarassing ourselves when the tourney is underway.

However, you have to admit that not having Senior MNT games have

not exactly helped our FIFA rankings and thus not exactly helped

the profile of soccer in our country. It's a shame that the world

judges a team by its rankings and that's how the average Canadian

views our soccer team. Not good at all.

Why is this important? Well federal sport and corporate funding

also will be determined by the success of our MNT. And even

worse, the fan will not show up for games if we sink further

in our rankings. Plus the way some of our (few) fans are

treated. That's why some criticism is also warranted against

the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I think that changes have to come from within. If there is a will to listen and represent they (the CSA) could start a series of symposiums accross the country and finish with a summit. Financial resources can always be rearrenged later.

The CSA board of directors set the policy for the CSA and they are elected. If you don't like the policies then lobby for the election of different directors. Much of what the CSA does is a result of decisions and votes taken at meetings attended by representatives of all the provincial associations. The CSA does not function in isolation.

Archived