USL D1 - May 27 - Seattle vs Vancouver [R]

DJT

Seattle Sounders (1-2-2, 9th place) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (3-3-0, 2nd place)

Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 7:00 PM PDT

Qwest Field (FieldTurf), Seattle

Radio, Audio Webcasts

[*]Seattle Sounders / SportJuice.com

[*]MOJO 730 AM Vancouver

This is the fourth match of the 2006 Cascadia Cup.

Pre-match articles from the last few days: see pre-/post-match articles for Vancouver vs. Seattle on May 26.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Final:

Seattle 1 Vancouver 0

43' SEA Gregor (PK)

The Vancouver announcers say that the PK was a bad call, prompted by a Seattle dive in the box after contact from Caig.

Hmm. CONTACT in the box. CONTACT, you say? Well it was a tripping call, so if there was contact, and it was a trip, then what else could the ref possibly call?

I was surprised at the call, but only because it was awarded to our rookie phenom Cam Weaver. I thought the ref wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt. Weaver felt Caig's 'contact,' then Caig slid further on the Field Turf and right into Weaver, who fell. Not the worst collision ever, but what else could the ref do? It was a slight trip...in the box.

In the Seattle Times:

quote:

"I felt his (Caig's) arm on my foot," Weaver told the Seattle Times. "His momentum carried him into me after I had poked the ball out of his reach."

as described by The Seattle Pitch/Ron Stickney:

quote:

Cam Weaver was served a diagonal through ball from the middle towards the left corner. With a burst of speed, Weaver got to it first just inside the left edge of the penalty area, and after a touch on the ball by Weaver he was tripped up by Caig, who was just a bit late and could not stop his slide. It was a tripping foul, and a yard inside the box, so referee Yader Reyes didn't have much choice but to blow the whistle and point to the spot. Gregor put the penalty kick to the left side with Caig guessing the other way. 1-0 Seattle.

Match reports:

http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=257

van_17.jpg

van_19.sized.jpg

quote:Originally posted by sounderfan

Hmm. CONTACT in the box. CONTACT, you say? Well it was a tripping call, so if there was contact, and it was a trip, then what else could the ref possibly call?

I was just trying to describe who was involved in the play. Perhaps I should have used the word "challenge" instead, as does the Whitecaps match report?

I've listened to the commentary again and the commentators actually used the word "contact" just once when Alan Errington said "he got more of a touch of the ball than he made contact with the player who fell over like he'd been shot" (there were many other dive-related comments, my favourite being Peter Schaad's "flew through the air like a swan" :D).

I'm not taking sides, just reporting what I heard. I'd like to see a clip of this.

Thanks for the comments, sounderfan.

Regarding the actual PK, it was interesting that Schaad said that Gregor would go left and wondered if Caig had been given a scouting report. Then Gregor went left and Caig went right.

Whitecaps match report:

WHITECAPS MEN LOSE 1-0

May 27, 2006 - Seattle Sounders 1

Vancouver Whitecaps 0

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Qwest Field, Seattle, WA (attendance: 2,998)

Overview:

The Whitecaps suffered their first loss of the season in a frustrating game away to the defending champion Seattle Sounders. Andrew Gregor scored the game's only goal on a controversial penalty kick late in the first half. Though the Whitecaps had their share of chances in the game, they weren't able to find an equaliser. The Caps are now winless in their last eleven league games against the Sounders.

Vancouver's record drops to 3W-1L-3T for 12 points as they stay in second place in the USL First Division. Seattle improves to 2-2-2 for 8 points and climb to eighth spot.

The Whitecaps next game is Saturday, June 3 in Minnesota against the Thunder. Their next home game is Friday, June 9 against Miami FC and Brazilian superstar Romario.

Scoring Summary:

43' Seat Andrew Gregor (PK)

Seattle were awarded a controversial penalty after striker Cam Weaver flew to the ground under after a challenge from goalkeeper Tony Caig.

Gregor sent the keeper the wrong way.

Game Notes:

The game was back and forth from the outset. Tony Caig made good stops off a header from Seattle's C.J. Klaas in the opening minutes, while Seattle's Cam Weaver headed over an empty net at 15'.

The Whitecaps had the better of the chances prior to Seattle's goal, but were denied by keeper Chris Eylander. The Sounders rookie stopped a powerful 25-yarder from Joey Gjertsen at 14' and then blocked an attempted chip shot from Sita-Taty Matondo at 38'. The keeper was also fortunate to watch Gjertsen turn and fire wide from great position at 24'.

Leading scorer Joey Gjertsen had another good chance at 50' as he broke in on goal, but fired over the bar. Martin Nash almost fluked a goal at 58', but his deep cross came down on the wrong side of the crossbar.

Moments later Nash hit a great half-volley, but just missed the top corner.

Seattle squandered several chances to put the game away, but shots in close from Cam Weaver and Craig Tomlinson missed the target. The speedy Tomlinson was also denied by Tony Caig at 82'.

This game counts towards the fan-sponsored Cascadia Cup. Vancouver leads the standings with five points, while Seattle now has four, and Portland one.

Midfielder Martin Nash has played 43 consecutive games, spanning three seasons.

Defender Steve Klein has played every minute, 630, for Vancouver this season.

Whitecaps: 1.Tony Caig - 3.Steve Klein, 20.David Morris, 22.John Jones, 25.Anthony Noreiga (13. Tino Cucca 73') - 2.Jeff Clarke, 7.Martin Nash, 8.Steve Kindel (12.Geordie Lyall 62'), 9.Alfredo Valente (6.Jay Alberts 62') - 17.Joey Gjertsen, 19.Sita-Taty Matondo (11.David Testo 45')

Seattle: 22.Chris Eylander - 3.Jacob Besagno, 4.Danny Jackson, 17.Zach Scott, 21.Ben Somoza (8.Seyi Abolaji 26')- 5.C.J. Klaas (6.Nate Boyden 1’), 13.Andrew Gregor, 15.Kevin Sakuda, 18.Roger Levesque - 14.Cam Weaver, 27.Jamal Sutton (9.Craig Tomlinson 72')

Halftime Stats

Shots: Vancouver 8 Seattle 17

Saves: Vancouver 4 Seattle 3

Fouls: Vancouver 17 Seattle 15

Offside: Vancouver 1 Seattle 2

Corner Kicks: Vancouver 10 Seattle 7

Referee: Yader Reyes

Cautions:

Vancouver: Kindel 41', Clarke 65'

Seattle: Scott 29', Gregor 68', Abolaji 79'

Sounders match report:

Sounders Wash-out Whitecaps 1-0

(Seattle, Wash.) - - In the tail end of a home and home series, the Seattle Sounders knocked off the undefeated Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 at Qwest Field. An Andrew Gregor penalty kick in the 43rd minute captured the Sounders second win of the season. The Sounders’ rookie GK Chris Eylander recorded his second win and shutout in consecutive matches helping Seattle improve their record to 2-2-2, 8pts.

The first half of play was a defensive battle filled with multiple opportunities for both teams. Sounder Forward Jamal Sutton pressured the Whitecap defense with three shots. Sutton sailed a shot just over the crossbar in the 18th minute of play.

Sounder Forward Cam Weaver was tripped up by Vancouver keeper Tony Caig in the penalty box awarding the Sounders a penalty kick in the 43rd minute. Weaver took the ball diagonally across the box when Caig came off his line to challenge. Caig tripped up Weaver sending him to the turf. Sounder Midfielder Andrew Gregor nailed the penalty kick in the far left corner.

Vancouver pressured the Sounder defense, with four shots in the first half to the Sounders eight. Sounder GK Chris Eylander held strong in the back. In the 20th minute, Sounder Defender Ben Somoza was injured playing the ball back to a teammate. A closer look shows Somoza sprained his left ankle, x-rays will be taken early next week. Seyi Abolaji replaced Somoza in the lineup.

The battle continued in the second half with both teams applying strong offensive pressure. The Sounders had several key opportunities to put some distance on the Whitecaps. In the 55th minute, Sutton took the ball down the right side, sending it back to the top of the box where Weaver’s connection just missing the right corner of the goal.

Sounder Midfielder Andrew Gregor sent a free kick into the box in the 58th minute. Playing midfield, Roger Levesque got his head on the ball just missing the near post. Minutes later CJ Klaas sent a 30-yard blast that barely missing the right “upper-v.”

The Sounders dominated the match in the box tallying 19 shots to Vancouver’s nine. Forward Craig Tomlinson and Roger Levesque played strong offensively. Goalkeeper Chris Eylander shutout Vancouver, recording a win and shutout in each of his last two matches.

For the first time in four matches, Weaver was held without a point. He has scored four goals and one assist in the previous five matches.

The Sounders 1-0 victory is the first shutout win over Vancouver for the Sounders since May of 2002. The win evens Seattle’s record to 2-2-2, 8pts.

The Sounders face another home and home series next weekend when they face I-5 South rival, the Portland Timbers. The Sounders host Portland on Friday, June 2nd at Qwest Field. Kick off is scheduled for 7pm.

Starting Lineups- Seattle Sounders – GK Chris Eylander, D Jake Besagno, D Danny Jackson, D Zach Scott, D Ben Somoza (Seyi Abolaji), M CJ Klaas (Nate Boyden), M Andrew Gregor (Santa Maria Rivera), M Kevin Sakuda, M Roger Levesque, F Cam Weaver, F Jamal Sutton (Craig Tomlinson)

Vancouver Whitecaps- GK Tony Caig, D Steven Klein, D Steve Kindel (Geordie Lyall), D John Jones, D Anthony Noreiga (Tino Cucca), M Jeff Clarke, M Martin Nash, M Alfredo Valente (Jay Alberts), M Dave Morris, F Joey Gjertsen, F Sita-Taty Matondo (Dave Testo)

I'm just not sure that Weaver is the kind of guy to "dive." Sounds like a homer call to me. We all agree that the foul was minimal, but Weaver actually had a chance to get the ball in the box, so I think he *really was* tripped up. (It happened at the other end of the pitch from where we Seattle supporters stand). He's a rough and tumble kid who is 6-4 and all legs. If he did "make the most" out of the touch from Caig, then he's already getting those veteran moves down. Good sign. ;)

Hmmm. Well the keeper touched the ball first, as clearly seen on the big screen in house. He did a total swan dive and would have never reached the ball because it was knocked past.

The referee couldn't wait to call it. I've seen players booked for diving on worse plays than that.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Hmmm. Well the keeper touched the ball first, as clearly seen on the big screen in house. He did a total swan dive and would have never reached the ball because it was knocked past.

The referee couldn't wait to call it. I've seen players booked for diving on worse plays than that.

Haven't seen the replay of the replay, but was there live.

Congrats to Weaver on helping the Sounders get an important result. As I have said elsewhere, Seattle deserved the 3 points on overall play.

I am surprised that Weaver is already pulling *veteran* moves. :)

The ref was basically useless the entire evening. But that's footy for you.

Guest Jeffery S.

Caig seems to have been at the centre of controversy ever since he arrived at this club. First he steals a starting spot from two bona fide up and coming North Americans without being at all behoven to NAFTA, then he goes and gets apparent contact on an American player who goes down, nearly causing an international incident. What next?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Just out of curosity, since they've a couple of seasons under their belt at Qwest Field, anyone an idea of what the players (visitors included) think of the plastic?

Most find it OK. It's a bit faster than grass, but the bounces are true throughout.

I think most players are more interested in the fact that it is a huge NFL stadium than the surface they'll be playing on. Most eyes upon entering are looking up at the building rather than down at the turf.

I've been on it many times. The "feel" is similar to short cut grass...but a but "spongier."

Archived