CSL week 1 results...

Cary, is there anything you can tell us on any more international games for this year? I know right now it is the off season overseas but have you ever thought of playing a national side? there are many small countries out there that could put on a great show if they were to play the CSL All-Stars...in hamilton;)

quote:Originally posted by Cary Kaplan

Soccer Fans

Among the changes made in the past six months include:

-Discussion and the estalishment of working relationships with the USL and MLS teams.

A commissioner who participates in the forums! I'm impressed.

A couple of ideas/suggestions to press as part of your discussions/working relationship with Toronto FC.

It is definitely in Toronto FC's best interst to support the Canadian Soccer League. With eight franchises in the Toronto Area and eleven franchises in Southern Ontario, the CSL fan base is Toronto FC’s target market.

I would suggest that many opportunities exist for co-operation and support between the MLS and CSL and include: (i) pre-season and/or in-season exhibition games between Toronto FC and CSL teams, (ii) at least one doubleheader at the National Soccer Stadium during the regular season where a CSL game would be played as the opener and Toronto FC plays a MLS game in the nightcap, (iii) the entrance of a new franchise in the CSL owned by Toronto FC and (iv) Toronto FC's participation in the Open Canada Cup.

I believe any or all of these courses of action will create great enthusiasm among soccer fans in Toronto and Southern Ontario and will benefit Toronto FC substantially. The CSL’s new international division provides an opportunity for Toronto FC to target specific markets on its CSL doubleheader game (i.e., imagine Italia Shooters-Toronto Supra Portuguese or Toronto Croatia-Caribbean Selects as the opening match) and create a fantastic soccer environment at the National Soccer Stadium. Additionally, a Toronto FC entrant in the CSL will provide Toronto FC with both up-close marketing opportunities with the hard-core soccer fans of Toronto and Southern Ontario as well as an additional and low cost means to develop Canadian soccer players for the parent club.

It would be a great benefit to soccer across Canada if the Open Canada Cup into a true national soccer championship tournament in the vein of the FA Cup or the US Open Cup. A national soccer championship creates a focus through the soccer season for teams, fans and the media and generates excitement at the grass-roots level for the teams and leagues that would have the opportunity to challenge the elite teams of the USL-1 and MLS on a national stage. I would expect that one of the sports networks and/or major networks will want to televise the national championship game. A further benefit to creating a true national champion is that the winning team could enter international club-team tournaments as Canada’s representative thereby creating additional opportunities for international exposure and experience for Canadian soccer players.

NJ,

The CSL is interested in a true Open Canada Cup tournament, where the best of the CSL play the USL clubs and the MLS team in Toronto. In addition, things like doubleheaders and exhibition games are all in our vision.

If all the soccer franchises in Canada work together, it will allow the sport to grow acorss the country.

Cary Kaplan

quote:Originally posted by Cary Kaplan

Eventually, we would like to expand to Atlantic Canada, but we will only do it when it is fiscally and geographically responsible.

Thanks,

What year do you think the CSL will expand to this region ?

There's a lot of passionate soccer fans in Atlantic Canada.

There's lots of great players down here too.

Archived