CSL week 1 results...

Result of the Friday May 19, 2006 CSL league game between Serbian White Eagles and Italia Shooters played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 7:30pm.

This was the first game of the newly named Canadian Soccer League (or the season opener if you trace this league back to the CPSL league).

13 min…White Eagles Gabriel Pop GOAL…IS defender pops up ball in box on clearance kick, Pop takes midair shot on its way down and blasts it low to right corner of net beyond goalie Camilo Benzi.

23 min…White Eagles Alex Braletic GOAL…When two IS defenders miss WE Sasa Viciknez pushing ball between them on forward pass and Braletic steps to ball and stops and sends 12 yard low shot into middle of net over sprawling goalie.

30 min…White Eagles Sasa Viciknez GOAL…WE Viciknez gets ball on edge of IS box and he stops and cuts 15 yard shot into short side of net between post and goalie.

55 min…Italia Shooters Joe Todaro GOAL…Todaro at WE 20 yards turns and chips ball over goalie Dusan Belic into left corner of net.

74 min…Italia Shooters Stalin Cardenas GOAL…Cardenos runs into box and gets charging header from 10 yards into right side of net on IS Jorge Molina’s cross on rush down right wing.

Final Score:…….Serbian White Eagles………3………..Italia Shooters………2………..

Attendance was estimated at 1200 people (the Lynx would have counted this at 1900). The weather was miserable with a drizzle starting at game time and then a hard downpour for the second half. I think everyone knew it would rain tonight and it looked like everyone was covered by an umbrella. Many in the crowd sang through the whole game and some lit flares. The CSL execs were upset by that and may insist on enforcing a ban on fireworks.

The full colour game sheet that they gave out to fans reminded people that it has been more than 30 years that White Eagles have been absent from the Canadian soccer scene. This was the largest attendance I can remember for any game between any two CPSL/CSL teams. Last year we could watch Gabriel Pop play for Oakville Blue Devils in front of a crowd of 120 and Alex Braletic play for North York Astros in front of 80. Now put them on this team and they draw a crowd like this. What a fantastic start! I will wait to see how much attendance drops off for their next games (weighing novelty dropping off vs nicer weather). This team’s following might overflow the stands of some of the smaller parks I’ve been to. I’ve noticed that the White Eagles vs Toronto Croatia games are scheduled for the end of the season and both at Birchmount Stadium.

It looked like after the first half that White Eagles would win in a blow out but halftime subs of forwards Joe Todaro, Rob Black and defender Jorge Molina turned the game around and the Shooters could have tied it. White Eagles could have put it away but Bozo Milic hit the post on an 18 yard shot through the box at 65 minutes and then again at 85 minutes when referee Joe Fletcher missed a handball call in the box and allowed a play-on and Gabriel Pop all alone in box fires a 12 yard shot over net. Next game for both these teams is next Sunday when the have rematch at The Soccer Centre in Vaughan.

Phil Ionadi was watching the game in his new role as head coach of the Oakville Blue Devils (last year’s head coach Duncan Wilde is now coach of the USL Toronto Lynx). He’s had to retire as a player after more knee surgery last year. He said he’s had a history of knee operations since he was twenty.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Here's what the league says about it:

Serbian White Eagles win CSL opener – London City ties Portugal’s Angrense

ETOBICOKE – Friday, May 19 - Serbian White Eagles, bolstered by six import players from Europe, held on to a 3-0 half time lead to defeat Italia Shooters 3-2 in the Canadian Soccer League’s 2006 opener at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke Friday night.

The vastly more experienced Serbian team cut through an Italia defense time and again in the first half and goals by veteran Romanian professional Gabriel Pop at 13 minutes, the much younger attacking midfielder Alex Braletic at 22 minutes and recent import forward Sasa Viciknez at 29 minutes, set up the White Eagles for what appeared to be a certain home opener victory.

But Italia made a wholesale three-player change coming into the second half and a new approach by coach Carmine Isacco turned the game around resulting in goals by forward Joey Todaro at 54 minutes and midfielder Stalin Cardenas at the 74th minute mark.

Both sides had close calls late in the game but White Eagles, coached by former Yugoslavian great Dragoslav Sekularac and Stevan Mojsilovic from Red Star Belgrade, had the edge to come through the 3-2 result. The team was visited last week by Serbia and Montenegro World Cup coach Ilija Petkovic who left his national team duties to fly to Toronto for 24 hours to meet the players.

In one exhibition game played at the Cove Road ground in London Friday, London City of the CSL’s National Division bounced back from a 2-0 deficit to tie visiting SC Angrense of Portugal, 2-2.

Gilberto at 11 minutes and Tiago three minutes later, put Angrense 2-0 up, but London’s Michel Daoust made it 2-1 at the interval with 16 year old Bruno Moya, who has shown good promise in the Ottawa leagues to earn an early move to professional soccer, grabbed the tying goal at the 89th minute mark.

Something else about the game at Centennial Stadium is a whole tower of lights wasn't operating. It made the south end midfield on the west side somewhat dark (hey all the better to make the flares lit up look even brighter). Let's hope the City will fix this before any more night games.

This league is the CSL league and as you it is only just one level below the USL league (Montreal Impact, Toronto Lynx, Vancouver Whitecaps etc.)For everybody's information, the USL teams have some players playing for the Canadian National team.

Recently, CSL(CPSL)teams played some exibition games against the USL team (Toronto Lynx)and played very well with one win and one loss. On the other hand there are players from the CSL (CPSL) that are playing in the USL league which is a very good sign of improved quality of soccer in the CSL league and in Canada.

I would say that this league is going to support the USL and the new MLS team in Toronto.

The new international division is a very good thing for soccer in Canada, because some teams such as the Serbian White Eagles brought in a famous coach(Dragoslav Sekularac) and the players from the first division. The Serbian imports with local young talent will benefit the team and they will also have a promising soccer future.

When was the last time you saw over 1200 people watching a soccer game in Canada on a very rainy day? I believe that this is a great sign for soccer in Canada.

Lets support them in all ways possible!!!

I'm all for soccer development and growth. Obviously this is a good thing.

But by changing their name to CSL, this league is attempting to ride the coattails of real Canadian soccer history. Shameless. Self serving. Totally inappropriate.

It's an insult to all the real CSL players who busted their asses off to make it to the World Cup in 86. It's an insult to all those who entertained fans across the nation.

Think back to the amazing Hall of Fame 86ers squad that earned the world record for the longest unbeaten streak in any pro sports league. People remember those kinds of achievements. Think they'll ever care aout CPSLers the same way?

I'm glad CPSL wants to aspire to the greatness of the CSL, but they shouldn't steal the name out from under those who worked so hard to make it what it was.

Nor is this league providing any real "Canadian" representation outside of Ontario and Quebec. Call it what it is: OSA.

And let's be clear - it's not "one level below USL." It's THREE levels behind USL D1, followed by D2 and PDL (which places CPSL firmly in regional pub league territory).

Lauding any successes between CPSL teams against the Lynx are equally ridiculous, because the Lynx in itself is a ridiculous organization with no business being in USL D1. Put the CPSLers against the Caps or Impact and they'll get roasted.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Something else about the game at Centennial Stadium is a whole tower of lights wasn't operating. It made the south end midfield on the west side somewhat dark (hey all the better to make the flares lit up look even brighter). Let's hope the City will fix this before any more night games.

Some things never change. I remember shooting an Italia game under those circumstances and then attending a Blizzard game the next night (TSN showed it) and the tower was still dark.

db

Good one db but let's say that most times in 10+ years in between all the lights have worked. For the whole tower to be off sounds like a switching or electrical problem. Let's hope they can fix it (probably won't get anyone there until after the long weekend).

Maybe it's a good thing the Lady Lynx game starts at 4:00pm tomorrow.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Good one db but let's say that most times in 10+ years in between all the lights have worked. For the whole tower to be off sounds like a switching or electrical problem. Let's hope they can fix it (probably won't get anyone there until after the long weekend).

Maybe it's a good thing the Lady Lynx game starts at 4:00pm tomorrow.

Yes, it's absolutely an electrical problem. It may have taken a lightning strike during the big storm the other day.

The test for the stadium people is how fast they get it repaired.

db

Saturday - May 20, 2006

Windsor Border Stars London City Windsor Stadium 07:30 PM [0-0] [Att. 1,427]

---

another great start for the CSL in regards to attendance...lets ee if the sunday games can keep it up.

robin...are you going to have a match report for any?

Rocket Robin, thanks for the Shooters - White Eagles game report. This is very much appreciated by one who couldn't attend on Friday.

Some may find "Canadian Soccer League" rather flattering given the present scale of operations but if the CSL's ambition is to become a national league then it has to present itself as such to the media and the sponsors that will help attract the financial resources that it takes to build a national league. In other words, aim big to get big.

For the players, like my son, that have grown out of the Ontario youth league and CIS, then a strong CSL may just give them the quality of coaching and training they need to get a shot at being scouted by a professional club.

Hope to be at the next Shooters game.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

But by changing their name to CSL, this league is attempting to ride the coattails of real Canadian soccer history. Shameless. Self serving. Totally inappropriate.

It's an insult to all the real CSL players who busted their asses off to make it to the World Cup in 86. It's an insult to all those who entertained fans across the nation.

Think back to the amazing Hall of Fame 86ers squad that earned the world record for the longest unbeaten streak in any pro sports league. People remember those kinds of achievements. Think they'll ever care aout CPSLers the same way?

I'm glad CPSL wants to aspire to the greatness of the CSL, but they shouldn't steal the name out from under those who worked so hard to make it what it was.

Nor is this league providing any real "Canadian" representation outside of Ontario and Quebec. Call it what it is: OSA.

And let's be clear - it's not "one level below USL." It's THREE levels behind USL D1, followed by D2 and PDL (which places CPSL firmly in regional pub league territory).

Lauding any successes between CPSL teams against the Lynx are equally ridiculous, because the Lynx in itself is a ridiculous organization with no business being in USL D1. Put the CPSLers against the Caps or Impact and they'll get roasted.

Johnnie, get over it. That great effort is now 20 years ago.

You wanted the "P" out of CPSL; now you want the "C".

So we call them the SL, a league a step up from the top amateurs, and a step down from the semi-pro USL; two steps down from the MLS and ten miles down from EPL pros.

All that great 80's effort leaves the next twenty years of crap-ball where the US who really put some effort in during the 90's turned the sows ear into a silk purse.

Get over it Johnnie.

Johnnie, get over it. That great effort is now 20 years ago.

You wanted the "P" out of CPSL; now you want the "C".

So we call them the SL, a league a step up from the top amateurs, and a step down from the semi-pro USL; two steps down from the MLS and ten miles down from EPL pros.

All that great 80's effort leaves the next twenty years of crap-ball where the US who really put some effort in during the 90's turned the sows ear into a silk purse.

Get over it Johnnie.

quote:Originally posted by Leeds for ever

Some may find "Canadian Soccer League" rather flattering given the present scale of operations but if the CSL's ambition is to become a national league then it has to present itself as such to the media and the sponsors that will help attract the financial resources that it takes to build a national league. In other words, aim big to get big.

For the players, like my son, that have grown out of the Ontario youth league and CIS, then a strong CSL may just give them the quality of coaching and training they need to get a shot at being scouted by a professional club.

Agreed on both counts. I'm one that has been very hard on the league but if the name change is due to the relatively fresh blood at the top and a clearer and more realistic vision of the future, so be it and best of luck.

... and as a league that exists for players and coaches to maintain and improve their skills in the hopes of being able to move up to USL or MLS (or Europe for that matter) again, so be it and best of luck.

db

To star with, long live the new CSL. Cause those 3-4 years of the CSL1 were such a treat.

Result of the Sunday May 21st, 2006 CSL friendly between Toronto Supra Portuguese and SC Angrense from Portugal played at Brockton Stadium in Toronto at 7:00pm.

36 min…Angrense Marcio Fagundes GOAL…SCA Goncalo Valadro takes 35 yard free kick from the right that has Fagundes charge forward and lean into 12 yard header on short right that redirects into left side of net beyond goalie Michael Silva.

70 min…TSP Michael Diluca GOAL…Diluca intercepts partial clearance and blasts 20 yard shot off underside of crossbar into center of net over goalie Andre Viera.

72 min…Angrense Rui Silveira GOAL…Silveira gets to cross and his 20 yard shot on left is into right corner of net.

Final Score:…Toronto Supra Portuguese…….1………..SC Angrense………2………..

Attendance was about 350 on this cold rainy day. I had changed into my parka before a drive from Centennial Stadium where I watch the games from the warmth of the press box. Here to avoid taking notes in the rain (yuck) I found I could sit under the stands in a crawl space and emerge bow legged at the end of each half. I didn’t stay around long enough to see if they awarded trophies after the game but warned the organizers to move the trophy box because they’d put them under a drain from the stands that was flooding the box. It was a pro-Angrense crowd but referee Isaac Raymond wasn’t fazed in giving out unpopular calls. Many in the crowd had team scarves. Hey maybe another month and I’ll have a (Canadian) Voyageurs scarf I can wear in the heat of July and August.

This was a very competitive game. Both sides could have won and it was close to the final kick. Supra improved in the second half. SC Angrense are from the Azores Islands and plays in the Portuguese 3rd Division. They all have two names unlike many of the 1st Division players. Maybe European 2nd and 3rd Division teams are what CSL club teams should limit themselves to have each game competitive. CSL London City earned a 2-2 tie against this team earlier this weekend. The Sporting Braga game I saw a week ago was just like the Harlem Globetrotters-Washington Generals and could have been a double digit score if played anywhere but the parking lot type Astroturf of Lamport Stadium.

Angrense goalie Andre Viera had at least three shots that he had to fly over to and push wide of the post. They moved the ball well but their defence was somewhat suspect and they had to kick a lot of balls out of play when caught short at the back. Their officials were friendly enough when I was trying to put an assist on that first goal. Supra has again worn that black & white striped shirt with yellow numbers that I can’t see. It’s not quite the same as the USL Rochester Raging Rhinos who have their yellow numbers in a white box that’s a lot easier to make out.

The field at Brockton had been chewed up on this rainy day by an old-timers game that was just ending when I got there. Much of the grass near the center circle had disappeared because of the rain we’ve had for the last few days. A small steamroller was used before the game to smooth over the mud.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

That's my point - the CPSL really ain't that much to "get over."

Enjoy your pub league all-stars. Tomorrow I'll be watching the Caps tear Rochester a new one.

Just you watch. CPSL's next move will be to rename the int'l division "Champions League."

ya and all the players on that 86'ers team will be named to the order of Canada.

How many people outside your anger management group know of that record?

And 1400 in WIndsor for the Border Stars. Well DONE.

Soccer Fans

Thank you for the great discussion about the CSL.

We think that the name change has a lot of value, it was not a quick decision.

While may will object to us having 11 of 12 teams in Ontario and using the 'C' in our name. I have seen the former CSL, the NASL, the Canadian Baseball Legue (1 year), the International Hockey League, and others, get buried by their inability to cover costs - namely travel costs.

The goal of the CSL will be to be strong in Ontario and then expand. We will not be temped to go to Edmonton or Vancouver, to more quickly fit into our name. We do however think that Quebec/Ottawa expansion is very realistic for 2007, and ultimately when ready we will expand geographically.

As well, the international division, with much contravercy, has started well. We had a crowd of over 1,200 at the Serbian White Eagles first game (and they sounded like double that), and followed that up with about 1,500 in Windsor in their game vs London.

As to the quality of the league, we are in fact one step below the USL, and that is where we want to be. Our top teams, as many have seen, are competitive with the lower USL clubs. As well, by allowing amateur teams in the Open Canada Cup, we are open to challenges from all comers. To date the CPSL/CSL clubs have won three of three championships.

We do believe that the CSL All-Star team over time will be competitive with any team in the country!

Among the changes made in the past six months include:

-An extensive re-write of our rules, regulations, by-laws and constitution,

-An expanded and more-equitable ployoff format.

-An expanded Open Canada Cup.

-The creation of the International Division

-Two new expansion franchises (Serbia, Caribbean)

-A committment to growth in Quebec in 2007.

-The Creation of a CSL All-Star team who have played competitively to date against Glasgow and Clyde FC of Scotland.

-Discussion and the estalishment of working relationships with the USL and MLS teams.

-A more positive relationship with both the CSA and OSA.

And, a re-naming, re-branding of the League.

We feel as though we now have the right name, for what we would like to be.

The discussion is great....

Sincerely,

Cary Kaplan

Commissioner

Canadian Soccer League

Archived