May 19 - U20 Friendly - Canada vs Brazil [R]

DJT

Hi,

Just curious how long the Brazilian team has been in Canada? Sounds like it is was a great game.

If anyone has an extra ticket for Victoria, I will gladly buy it. Can't believe I missed the tickets sales. Guess I can put that down to having an all encompassing 2 year old that I chase around all day.

Here's to a nice rainy day on Monday. I find the rain is like a 12th player for Canada.

Paul

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Hi,

Just curious how long the Brazilian team has been in Canada? Sounds like it is was a great game.

If anyone has an extra ticket for Victoria, I will gladly buy it. Can't believe I missed the tickets sales. Guess I can put that down to having an all encompassing 2 year old that I chase around all day.

Here's to a nice rainy day on Monday. I find the rain is like a 12th player for Canada.

Paul

I think I read that the Brazilian were in Canada on may 9 for a training camp.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Completely agree with Grizzly. Peters had an excellent match. A real value, but he's been training up at Ipswich for a year now and boy dose it show. And he didn't make an Ipswich 16 until the very end of the season when all matters where settled. I'll side with Grizzly and Royle on this one. But he's someone for the future, that's an absolute truth.

You can tell that Jaime's learned a lot at Ipswich. Last WYC and any friendlies I saw him play, he always seemed like a one-dimensional offensive minded player. This game he bought into the system and was working both ends of the field. I really think that's due to his training since joining Ipswich more than anything else.

This will go down as one of those pround moments where, year later, I can thump my chest and boast, "I was there!"

What an absolutely glorious evening. Canada showed its class and skill, and I am very optimistic about our future.

Everything originated down Canada's right side. The Brazilians were having absolute fits trying to contain Peters (without a doubt the "Man of the Match") and Will Johnson. Peters used his speed to terrorize his marker, again and again. Johnson is a workhorse who is a master at maintaining ball possession while running through tight marking.

Edgar's goal was an absolute cracker; a first-time volley off of a perfect set-piece that no keeper in the world could have stopped.

Johnson was 'Johnny on the Spot' when the Brazilian defender gave up that gift off a Peters cross and buried it into the bottom right-hand corner.

The Canadian defence gets full marks. They bent on occasion but never really broke. When they did make a mistake, they had the speed to make up for it. (That Lumley has some great wheels!)

The Brazilian goal was well executed, but Begovic nearly got enough of it to keep it out. Begovic was solid on the night. He was rarely tested, but was perfectly positioned when danger did rear its head.

My only dissapointment might be Jackson. He was totally overmatched by his marker in terms of height, speed, and strength. He never really posed any danger. A clever backheel that amounted to nothing was his only contribution on the evening.

Anyway, I'm in too good a mood to bellyache. Everyone on the Canadian squad can give themselves a hearty pat on the back for one of the finest showings by a Canadian team in its history.

The six hour drive was worth every second. You won't be able to wipe the smiles off of Stu's or my faces for a very long time.

I'm proud to be a Canadian soccer fan.

I told all you guys for the last 4 years that this was going to happen and yes I know our kids and our coaches and yes if you read all my previous comments i was the only one who showed tremendous faith in our kids. So all your critics out there smarten up, Canada is great and we have amazing players among us, I told you so umpteen years ago!

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I know it seems that Craig Forrest played for every manager in the UK, but do you think he had some inside info about Edgar getting a crack at the Newcastle first 16? He kindof alluded to it last night.

That might be a bit tough for an 18 year old, but you never know. Maybe he'll get loaned out? Newcastle has invested heavily in Edgar. He's signed a full pro contract this past year, not a reserver, trial, or development contract. A full professional contract. Even if he never dresses for a Magpie match next year he'll still likely make more money than everyone else who was on the field for Canada yesterday, combined.

But money isn't the only carrot. Far from it. He's going to want to play.

you guys have summarized everything nicely. so from an aesthetic POV: our uniforms are atrocious! i still say we go with thick red and white stripes in honour of our flag and to stand out - sell more jersey's too.

brilliant lads. i was horse after the match! can't wait until thursday! maybe i'll see some of the samba boys in victoria tomorrow for the parade?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

That might be a bit tough for an 18 year old, but you never know. Maybe he'll get loaned out? Newcastle has invested heavily in Edgar. He's signed a full pro contract this past year, not a reserver, trial, or development contract. A full professional contract. Even if he never dresses for a Magpie match next year he'll still likely make more money than everyone else who was on the field for Canada yesterday, combined.

But money isn't the only carrot. Far from it. He's going to want to play.

I'm sure Johnson will draw a pretty decent wage at Heerenveen.

Not much to add in the way of comments, everything I thought about the game has been posted by others in this thread.

That being said, Peters is indeed the real deal and I can't wait to see Johnson a year from now with a full season with Heerenveen under his belt.

The Brazilian team left Brazil on May 16 for Toronto, arriving May 17, and then flying to Edmonton. That is at least 18-20 hours of flying.

On the game, it was a great game for the Canadian team. I agree with most that I have read here.

The Canadian side will have to step up for the next two games because we will likely see a much more energetic Brazilian side.

Again the Canadians need to stay tight at the back. The next couple of games are likely to be a little more intense.

should be fun to watch.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Hi,

Paul

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Random thoughts:

I know it seems that Craig Forrest played for every manager in the UK, but do you think he had some inside info about Edgar getting a crack at the Newcastle first 16? He kindof alluded to it last night.

I thought that Forrest was guessing based on two facts, first that Newcastle turned down a feeler for a transfer of Egar last year (it was posted somewhere on the forum). Secondly prior to becoming manager Roeder was director of youth development or some such title and would be the one who said not to entertain offers for Edgar. That being said I think a loan spell at a lower level is more likely than breaking into the first team.

When both Johnson and Friend signed with Heerenveen I thought that Friend was being brought in as a first team player and that Johnson as a reserve/project. With the more intense training of the Dutch league and the progress that Johnson appears to have made he could push his way into the first team sooner than anticipated.

In the posts the players all get praise, correctly, for their efforts. I haven't read a lot of comment about Mitchell and the preparation that he gave the team, the tactics used or the adjustments made at the half. He deserves credit for pushing a ball control, passing and attacking game over the defensive kick and run style that we have seen in other Canadian teams in the past. I also like the pattern of having a few younger players each go around so that in two years time there is always experienced leadership (in this case Edgar, Peters and Johnson). Mitchell's next challenge will be to make adjustments for the next two games because I'm sure Brazil is not happy about the loss and will make changes of their own.

Did anybody happen to record this historical match by any chance?? Being the silly fool I am, I thought Sportsnet would replay it again[:I] Even though I was there live I'd still like to re-live the glory over and over again.

quote:Originally posted by Stu

Did anybody happen to record this historical match by any chance?? Being the silly fool I am, I thought Sportsnet would replay it again[:I] Even though I was there live I'd still like to re-live the glory over and over again.

Yes, I burned the match to a DVD. Email me for details.;)

Excellent timing Redhat! Girlfriend was out, had the couch to myself twisted up a johnny and watched a fantastic Canada perfomance!! JP are you kidding me? Nobody can deal with that pace and he's starting to fill out a bit too. Lil Will is a man and a half and David Edgar, what a warrior! Begovic makes for a solid granite bedrock foundation. Natural leaders all of them and they've all been to a u-20 Finals already.

Haven't seen the other games so can't comment but 4-3-3 seems spot on for this talent pool. I could visualize trying Lombardo(also went to Holland two years ago) who's a bit bigger and more robust than Jackson as the center forward and getting JP to switch flanks through the game to keep the opposition off balance, but the system seemd to make sense last night. A thin red line across the midfield whose job is to win the ball and turn it over to the runners. Gonna be fun to watch these kids next year. I'm picking em for a run to the semi finals!

Archived