May 19 - U20 Friendly - Canada vs Brazil [R]

DJT

<center>U20 FriendlyCanada vs. BrazilFriday, May 19, 2006

7:00 PM PDT / 8:00 PM MDT / 9:00 PM CDT / 10:00 PM EDT / 11:00 PM ADT / 11:30 PM NDT

Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton

Canadian Television:

Sportsnet West & Pacific:

Live (see times above)

Sportsnet East & Ontario:

8:00 PM PDT / 9:00 PM MDT / 10:00 PM CDT / 11:00 PM EDT / 12:00 AM ADT / 12:30 AM NDT

Voyageurs real-time chat

(login under your forum name using the top box and top "Login Now" button; do not use the two lower boxes, do not enter your forum password anywhere)

</center>

I think one thread should suffice for this match (as opposed to the usual pre-match/in-match/post-match threads).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would have to be one of the nicest goals by a canadian, senior or junior in recent years. And, apparantly the first time that a canadian U-20 has scored against Brazil. Maybe the scouts looking at the tape for Kerlon will notice Edgar. Edgar, O'Conner, Nunez, Peters, Johnson and Jackson seem to be the top performers. btw, how tall is Begovic? he seems huge.

quote:Originally posted by ken

Edgar, O'Conner, Nunez, Peters, Johnson and Jackson seem to be the top performers. btw, how tall is Begovic? he seems huge.

According to Craig Forrest, 6'5" or 6'6"

A fantastic match. Love how Johnson has looked.

Brilliant match. Another solid home town crowd (F*ck you Jack Warner!) for Edmonton, and they stuck around after the match to give the boys a standing ovation.

Jackson makes his debut. Lombardo comes on late, hope to see more of him.

Edgar will be in the senior team shortly.

Who gets MOTM ? Johnson & Peters share this one.

Awsome result. We cannot underestimate what this means to the u20s for next year. We not only hung in there with Brazil but for much of the game we dominated. Edgar, Johnson, Bergovic, and the return of Peters. The future continues to look good. We have to savour this moment. The smiles and enthusiasm after the game was fantastic. Can't wait until the game at Swangard!

Wow.

Wow.

So impressed.

Good start. Fun to watch. Peters was a spark plug. Johnson never let up. Jackson impressed me as the lone man upfront. Edgar and Lumley did well together in the back. Owusu-Ansah definitely impressed as well. Wasn't expecting Nunez to be so good on the ball. I thought he did well. O'Connor was also steady.

Also, seeing as how I had a little rant in another thread, let me congratulate the Edmonton crowd. All things considered, 14,420 was pretty good.

What a fun game to watch. Roll on Monday. PPV will definitely be worth it.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I hope Toronto FC was paying attention to that Kennedy kid. All in all, there seem to be quite a few prospects up for grabs on Unattached FC.

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah really impressed me. Having a full back with attacking qualities playing for Canada was amazing to me. I really hope Toronto FC signs him especially since he's from Toronto.

Wonderful effort--well deserved result. This should do much to build team confidence. Maybe Jon DeGuzman will catch the result and think: "Hey, I could fit in nicely with these guys."

Good news is that some of our young guys have loads of promise.

Amazing to see Brazil back off in the latter 20 or so minutes, with Canada pressing. Mitchell deserves credit, and this young squad showed real class. Let's keep building.

Great stuff, this should give the boys a lot of confidence that they can do well, even with the tourney still over a year away. That 16 year old is a real find, he reminds me a bit of Nsaliwa.

Only worry is that we aren't getting enough people on the ends of the Peters crosses, as he had a lot of them. Even the winning goal was a result of a major blunder by a Brazilian defender, which made me really nostalgic for the good old days of Brazilian defending, but it wasn't because our strikers got to it first. In that respect I wonder what Lombardo, who would add a bit of height to the attack (and this rather short team in general (barring Begovic & Edgar of course), could do with a full 90 minutes.

We'll also need to get a bigger threat going down the left side, as most of our attacks were coming down the right.

But enough of that - a fantastic win for Canada, the first over Brazil at any age level that I can think of.

I think it bears noting that the crowd was despite game one of the Oilers going on opposite it. If the Oilers hadn't been playing it would've topped 20,000, easy.

Peters absolutely pulled the Brazilians to pieces. If we'd have played less cautiously we could've scored a couple more. The Brazilians showed lots of individual speed and some decent coverage of the field but tactically were just nowhere. It was obvious at the start of the second that they were going to try and break the offside trap and lull Canada in, but it was a pretty hopeless effort all around on their part.

Bergovic was really commanding in goal, and number 8, I think it was Christian Nunez, was a bull up the middle.

Excellent game, everyone had good moments and the exceptional players I think have already been mentioned here. My Question is who will be too old come the youth cup in 2007 because our older guys were definately the strongest, even excellent performances from that 16 year old full back weren't at the same level as peters, johnson and edgar. Will any of them be too old at the youth cup?

enough excuses with the crowds...Edmonton doesn't draw for Canadian soccer like they used too...let's face it (no Canadian city is doing well at this recently - maybe if they tried to have games on any degree of a regular basis)...except for that blip of a turnout for that woman's game a while back (IIRC) this is but another added to the list of disappointing Canadian soccer crowds...CSA really has to find a way to get bums back in the seats...anyways, sounds like a brilliant performance-wish I could have been there. Go Red!!

quote:Originally posted by Juby

Excellent game, everyone had good moments and the exceptional players I think have already been mentioned here. My Question is who will be too old come the youth cup in 2007 because our older guys were definately the strongest, even excellent performances from that 16 year old full back weren't at the same level as peters, johnson and edgar. Will any of them be too old at the youth cup?

None of them will be too old. They'll all be there in 2007. The good thing about all this preparation is the time these guys get to play together.

Archived