CSL International Division predictions

quote:Lets be honest, the only reason the MLS expanded into Canada is the expanision fee. The NASL did this tick as well. With every expansion team, the league was able to live another day. Without a 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th team, the league loses 40 million in fees....it's the sign that a league is dying.

I'm ignoring the rest of your post and responding to this.

Would a 'dying' league that's simply relying on expansion fees require Lew Wolff (owner of the A's and future owner of the 'new' Earthquakes) to build an SSS before paying the full expansion fee? Or would they simply jump at whatever offer he has on the table and let him in right away without a stadium plan in place?

Same goes for the DC United sale that died off, the new owners couldn't get an SSS deal in place, so the league and AEG killed the deal until an SSS could be secured.

Wouldn't the league be killing itself to balance the table, now that Toronto has the guaranteed 13th team for the 2007 season? They're not, they're looking at candidates on merit, taking things slowly.

Do these sound like the actions of a desperate league, one in the same vein as the CFL in the 1990's?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm ignoring the rest of your post and responding to this.

Would a 'dying' league that's simply relying on expansion fees require Lew Wolff (owner of the A's and future owner of the 'new' Earthquakes) to build an SSS before paying the full expansion fee? Or would they simply jump at whatever offer he has on the table and let him in right away without a stadium plan in place?

Same goes for the DC United sale that died off, the new owners couldn't get an SSS deal in place, so the league and AEG killed the deal until an SSS could be secured.

Wouldn't the league be killing itself to balance the table, now that Toronto has the guaranteed 13th team for the 2007 season? They're not, they're looking at candidates on merit, taking things slowly.

Do these sound like the actions of a desperate league, one in the same vein as the CFL in the 1990's?

And they say I'm a one topic poster and a troll. but Rudi baby you take the cake. This is CSL thread. So ignore all the CSL points and defend the MLSE and MLS like the good little boy you are. Just one point, the MLS has lost over 250 million in 10 years. It's the Enron of pro leagues..

I agree Jonovision that FC is better than "Inter" or "Liverpool FC Canada". And if MLSE has any sence they support a league like the CSL. Have double headers with them, use it for games for it's reserve teams.

Wouldn't be a neat thing for Toronto FC to play Red Star Belgrade and have a Serbian/Crotian CSL game before hand..

The CSL is good for soccer and I don't live in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

And they say I'm a one topic poster and a troll. but Rudi baby you take the cake. This is CSL thread. So ignore all the CSL points and defend the MLSE and MLS like the good little boy you are.

Nice. I try to keep the discussion civil and you immediately start with your condescending bull. Whatever.

Anyway, it's really hard for me to 'ignore all the CSL points' when 75% of your post (and most of your posts in this very thread) had to do with MLS and Toronto FC.

I have no problem with the CSL. I think it's a great third tier league that will give some younger players the ability to prove themselves to higher levels such as USL1 or MLS.

But please don't kid yourself if you think the CSL is going to challenge even the Impact or Whitecaps in attendance any time soon (I didn't include the Lynx, because their ownership shouldn't be allowed near a USL1 squad to begin with). Even Cary Kaplan the commissioner of the CSL has said on this very board that his league knows it's place in the soccer structure, and is not looking to compete with the USL or MLS.

The CSL international division serves a niche in the community, and I think they'll be very happy to be able to do so across the country in due time.

Well, Supra and Croatia still haven't played so it's a little hard to predict.

I think Caribbean will be last in the group based on their results so far including friendlies.

Considering that Vaughan/Italia was the best team last year, it looks like the Serbs have the best team.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Well, Supra and Croatia still haven't played so it's a little hard to predict.

I think Caribbean will be last in the group based on their results so far including friendlies.

Considering that Vaughan/Italia was the best team last year, it looks like the Serbs have the best team.

Friendlies mean nothing. The Selects will rise to the damn top. Like cream in a coffee or dead bodies not attached to cement blocks.

Archived