IIHF: Soccer threatens Hockey

Jarrek

With two non overlapping seasons, does he have a point?

Hockey's Fasel warns NHL about soccer threat

Thu May 18, 11:39 PM EST

By Steve Keating

RIGA (Reuters) - Soccer's rising popularity is ice hockey's biggest threat in the increasingly competitive North American sports market, says Rene Fasel, the head of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

"We have to be aware, soccer in North America is getting bigger and bigger and bigger," the Swiss told Reuters in an interview on Thursday during the world championships.

"I don't think the NFL will lose people, NBA will not lose fans, but the market will be even more difficult for hockey.

"Wake up North America, soccer is coming. I tell you, they sleep while it's coming...They should be very careful in North America about soccer."

The Toronto Maple Leafs, one of NHL's most storied and successful franchises, certainly sees a growing and lucrative market for soccer.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Limited (MLSE), a billion dollar sports conglomerate that includes NBA club Toronto Raptors, recently added Major League Soccer's newest franchise to their empire while constructing a new 20,000 soccer specific stadium in the city's downtown core.

They are also expected to make a bid to host FIFA's 2007 under-20 championships final, which will be staged across Canada.

OLYMPIC PARTICIPATION

For Fasel, the key to the global promoting of ice hockey hinges on the NHL's continuing participation at the Winter Olympics.

Since the International Olympic Committee (IOC) opened its doors to NHL players at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, hockey has been among the Winter Games' most high profile events with huge television ratings.

After the bitter labor dispute wiped out the last NHL season, the league used the Turin Winter Games to help publicize its return and promote its new carefully crafted image.

But after the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver when the current collective agreement expires, there is deep concern that the NHL will end its participation in the Olympics.

The compact schedules forcing players to play eight games in 12 days resulted in numerous injuries and fatigue, which left a bad taste in many NHL owners' mouths.

"I think personally the NHL cannot say we don't go," said Fasel. "I think the NHL needs the Olympics as much as we need the NHL.

"It's the biggest sporting event in the world. With three billion viewers you can really promote the sport of hockey on the Olympic stage. There is nothing like the Olympics.

"That is the only way we can show our sport to our fans in the world. And you would like to miss this opportunity? This makes me nervous.

"On one side we need them, on the other side they need us. But either way we will have a great hockey tournament with or without the NHL."

CLUB COMPETITIONS

While the NHL appears to be easing back from its international commitments, Fasel wants the league do more to support the game globally, including participating in an international club competition.

"We are missing this type of competition," he said. "If I want to be number one after soccer I need an international club competition and there I need the help of the NHL.

"We have the McDonalds Cup in basketball, we need something similar. We could do much more, especially on the club competition."

Fasel, also the president of the Olympic winter sports federations and chairman of IOC's coordination commission for the 2010 Games in Vancouver, has assumed an increasingly influential role within the IOC and has been tipped as possible future president.

"The next IOC election will be in 2009 and I think and I hope that (current president) Jacques Rogge would be a candidate," said Fasel. "He is doing a great job and why should I run for that. But you should never say never."

Of anyone in Canada, I think posters on this board would be the most soccer-crazy. And I absolutely LOVE soccer, be it the national team or club competitions worldwide.

But, I don't know if it's just me or if other feel the same way, in my heart Hockey is #1. It's just the culture here. I grew up playing hockey, watching hockey and no matter what my favorite sports club will always be Vancouver Canucks.

That doesn't mean Whitecaps FC can't be a strong second, but they will never be #1.

So I think no matter how popular soccer gets in Canada (and NA) it will never pass hockey. Think of a club like the Montreal Canadiens, almost 100 years old and 23 championships! It's that sort of storied history that soccer (despite its long history) can't beat.

I think Fasel is just using 'scare' tactics to ensure that NHL players continue to participate in the olympics. However, I do agree that an international club competition would be cool. some sort of mini tournament, with perhaps the winner or each NHL conference going.

Group A:

TPS Turku

Modo

Detroit Red Wings

HC Davos

Group B:

CSKA Moskva

Ottawa Senators

HC Liberec

Eisbären Berlin

that would be cool! [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Of anyone in Canada, I think posters on this board would be the most soccer-crazy. And I absolutely LOVE soccer, be it the national team or club competitions worldwide.

But, I don't know if it's just me or if other feel the same way, in my heart Hockey is #1. It's just the culture here. I grew up playing hockey, watching hockey and no matter what my favorite sports club will always be Vancouver Canucks.

That doesn't mean Whitecaps FC can't be a strong second, but they will never be #1.

So I think no matter how popular soccer gets in Canada (and NA) it will never pass hockey. Think of a club like the Montreal Canadiens, almost 100 years old and 23 championships! It's that sort of storied history that soccer (despite its long history) can't beat.

I think Fasel is just using 'scare' tactics to ensure that NHL players continue to participate in the olympics. However, I do agree that an international club competition would be cool. some sort of mini tournament, with perhaps the winner or each NHL conference going.

Group A:

TPS Turku

Modo

Detroit Red Wings

HC Davos

Group B:

CSKA Moskva

Ottawa Senators

HC Liberec

Eisbären Berlin

that would be cool! [8D]

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

I'd love see that but I think we'd need to build to that level. However, a short series featuring the Stanley Cup champion Edmonton Oilers :D versus the current IIHF European Champs Moscow Dynamo would be very exciting and great fun!

Ya, the Leafs will always be #1 deep down but the NASL Blizzard were a very, very close #2 ... more like #1A really.

db

I guess the Habs are number 1, but that's also because soccer teams have a story of instability. I grew up with the Habs since I was 9, but the Impact seriously since I was like 17. The Impact are entering their 13th season, while the Habs just finished their 98th...

If both teams are still around in 25 years, ask me then.

Archived