Vancouver Friends of Soccer Pro-Stadium campaign

DJT

[[ Written by Bill Currie ("Vancouversoccerman")</u> ]]

The Vancouver Friends of Soccer Pro-Stadium campaign is about to get underway in full force...and we have big plans. We haven't been idle over the last few months...we've only been planning for the next phase of the campaign to begin. Our biggest plan is to mobilize the full force of BC's soccer community and citizens of Vancouver to let City Council know beyond a doubt that Vancouver wants the stadium. Read on to hear about some of the ways we'll be doing this, and how you can help...

To get an idea of the things we have planned, check out the website at www.friendsofsoccer.org. You'll also be hearing from our opponents as well. Don't worry about the handful of headlines they're grabbing. They're a small, negative group. If we all band together as both a soccer community and a group of positive, concerned citizens, we'll overwhelm council with our numbers alone. The key to success here is to focus on the positives of the stadium and ignore our opponents' negativity.

I hope we can count on your support. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with me at friendsofsoccer@hotmail.com.

For information on the new stadium, visit www.whitecapsnewstadium.com.

CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

Over the last few weeks, we've been forming the strategy for the public campaign for the stadium through Friends of Soccer. Now, we need volunteers to help execute it.

We have exciting plans to hit the streets to encourage the soccer community and citizens of Vancouver to contact City Council. There are many facets to this strategy, and we'll be holding a meeting for volunteers next week to discuss them. In short, this is where the campaign leaves the internet and turns into real flesh and blood support!

If you live in the Lower Mainland and you're interested in volunteering, please contact me as soon as possible at friendsofsoccer@hotmail.com.

E-MAIL CAMPAIGN

One of the tactics we're going to use to garner support in Vancouver is to start a Viral Lobbying campaign for the stadium. The idea is simple...just forward this letter to your friends, teammates, and anyone you know who loves soccer. Hopefully, they forward it to others they know...and eventually everyone lets City Council know!

Even if you don't live in Vancouver, your support is appreciated. We need all the friends of the game we can muster.

Please copy, paste, and forward to your friends.

TURN YOUR PASSION INTO ACTION!

quote:Dear XXXXX

My name is XXXX and I'm involved in a grassroots effort to support the proposed new soccer stadium on Vancouver's downtown waterfront. Over the next few weeks, Vancouver City Council will be deciding whether to allow the new stadium to move on to the next step of development, and it is vital that all of us who are involved in local soccer make our voices heard. As I know you are a strong supporter of the game, it is my greatest hope that we can count on your help.

For soccer to continue to grow in our city and country, we need proper venues where our best players can perform and inspire. This privately-funded new stadium will allow Vancouver to join the ranks of North America's top professional league, while playing host to the best clubs and international teams from around the world. The opportunities for Womens' soccer are tremendous as well. A new stadium would bolster Canada's future bid to host the Womens' World Cup, and provide greater exposure for the many national team members who play for the Whitecaps Women. With the promise of civic festivals, rugby and local soccer events being hosted at the stadium as well, the Vancouver Whitecaps are working hard to create a community venue that is inclusive and can be enjoyed by all citizens.

However, there's a small group of activists who are trying to derail the stadium project as a way to draw attention to the plight of the downtown eastside. They are willing to destroy all of the positive benefits the Whitecaps stadium will bring to the downtown core in order to advance their very narrow agenda. The anti-stadium activists are well trained in using the media, and they can make their support look larger than they really are. If we allow these voices to go unopposed, we risk losing one of the greatest gifts ever offered to our game and our city. City Council needs to hear from us right now!

Please take a moment out of your day to phone, fax or e-mail our City Councillors to let them know that you and the entire soccer community are behind the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium project. I've listed their names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers below. Regardless of whether you live in Vancouver or another part of the country, it's important that City Council realize how valuable the new soccer stadium will be to Vancouver, BC and Canada.

Please forward this letter to your friends, teammates, and anyone you know who loves soccer.

For information on the new stadium, visit www.whitecapsnewstadium.com.

If you need a sample letter to send to City Council, or want to learn more about the grassroots effort to make the stadium a reality, visit www.friendsofsoccer.org.

Vancouver City Council

Mayor Sam Sullivan

Phone: 604-873-7621

Fax: 604-873-7685

sam.sullivan@vancouver.ca

Councillor David Cadman

Phone 604-873-7244

Fax 604-873-7750

clrcadman@vancouver.ca

Councillor Raymond Louie

Phone 604-873-7243

Fax 604-873-7750

clrlouie@vancouver.ca

Councillor Tim Stevenson

Phone 604-873-7247

Fax 604-873-7750

clrstevenson@vancouver.ca

Councillor Kim Capri

Phone 604-873-7246

Fax 604-873-7750

clrcapri@vancouver.ca

Councillor George Chow

Phone 604-873-7245

Fax 604-873-7750

clrchow@vancouver.ca

Councillor Heather Deal

Phone 604-873-7242

Fax 604-873-7750

clrdeal@vancouver.ca

Councillor Elizabeth Ball

Phone 604-873-7240

Fax 604-873-7750

clrball@vancouver.ca

Councillor B.C. Lee

Phone 604-873-7249

Fax 604-873-7750

clrlee@vancouver.ca

Councillor Suzanne Anton

Phone 604-873-7248

Fax 604-873-7750

clranton@vancouver.ca

Councillor Peter Ladner

Phone 604-873-7241

Fax 604-873-7750

clrladner@vancouver.ca

Thanks,

Bill Currie

www.friendsofsoccer.org

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Great job Bill at last nights public hearing at city hall. You were the only one who I could understand. There may have been more NIMBYs speaking but most of them made no sense. I'm glad that you spoke so well for us.

Bill,

I too want to congratulate you on a job very well done last night.

For those that were not in attendance, Vancouver city council heard the first 19 of 96 speakers on the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium Proposal. Of the 19, 4 were pro stadium and the rest were against. While this may sound like a large number, most of those against the stadium were from one coalition. The Whitecaps could have done the same but were asked not to stack the speakers list of people that were just going to reiterate the same thing. Looking ahead on the list of speakers that will continue on Thursday night, there are a few more pro-stadium types including Arthur Griffiths.

From watching the reaction of the councilors last night, I think it was fairly positive. Out of the 11, I have determined that 3 are pro, and the rest I'm not sure.

While the Whitecaps are asking that this issue be made a priority, based on last night, I can't see that happening. If I had to guess now as to an outcome, I would predict that council would pass staff's recommendation to look at the satdium as part of a comprehensive plan of the waterfront, which means we shouldn't expecty this thing anytime soon.

I'll be there on Thursday and will update again then.

Did anyone else catch what Victor Montagliani said last night regarding men's national team games at the proposed stadium? something to the effect that the majority of those games would be played in the new stdium because they (the csa) and fifa prefer a grass surface. i thought that was interesting considering the apparent agreement in regards to the T.O stadium.

He said that he personally presented the renditions of the proposed stadium to Sepp Blatter in recent weeks and got a good response. He also said that this stadium would be the showcase for the 2011 Womens World Cup if awarded to Canada, i.e., the final would be played there (I find this hard to believe with Toronto having the so-called National Stadium).

Cheers,

~Regs.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by brandon

Did anyone else catch what Victor Montagliani said last night regarding men's national team games at the proposed stadium? something to the effect that the majority of those games would be played in the new stdium because they (the csa) and fifa prefer a grass surface. i thought that was interesting considering the apparent agreement in regards to the T.O stadium.

Uh... this is not making much sense to me.

TO will be Artificial, so will Van as far as I know.

So what stadium are you talking about?

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Regs

Where did you get the idea Vancouver would be artificial?

Ahhhhh. I see the removeable grass field now.

Why the hell is that not being done for Toronto? Though I suppose there is nothing stopping them from doing it in the future.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Regs

Where did you get the idea Vancouver would be artificial?

Ahhhhh. I see the removeable grass field now.

Why the hell is that not being done for Toronto? Though I suppose there is nothing stopping them from doing it in the future.

Thanks for all of your support...nothing beats the soccer community!

I highly encourage you to keep writing to city council and to attend the final two meetings on July 10, 7:30 PM & Tuesday, July 11 at 2 PM. Our support base is making it difficult for certain councillors to find an easy way out of making a decision.

Cheers,

Bill Currie

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

Although it's been several months since our last campaign, Friends of Soccer has been busy working behind the scenes to ensure that City Council understands the popular support behind the Whitecaps Stadium project hasn't gone away. Last summer, it was your voices, e-mails and signatures that carried the day in front of Council and the stadium project was able to advance to the next stage of development because of your support.

Since last July, the Whitecaps have made major strides in addressing the major issues raised by City Council in the last report. Most significantly, the proposed site has been moved away from the railroad tracks and placed right on the waterfront alongside the adjacent port lands. City staff have said in their latest report that the new site shows great promise in addressing their major concerns. On Thursday, February 1, the report will be presented to the City Services and Budgets Committee for approval, which if passed will bring about another round of public hearings. If all goes well, the Whitecaps should be able to present a formal stadium design for consideration by June. This would still allow time for the stadium to be completed by 2010.

The city staff report is available online. Here is the link:

http://www.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/20070201/documents/csb6.pdf

If you can attend the City Council meeting on Thursday, February 1 at 9:30 a.m., your support would be greatly appreciated. If you wish to speak in front of Council in support of the stadium, please call Denise Salmon, Meeting Coordinator at 604.873.7269, or e-mail denise.salmon@vancouver.ca . Of course many of you will be working on Thursday, but if you could please take a moment out of your day to write City Council, that would be very helpful as well. You can send an e-mail to the Mayor and all City Councillors at mayorandcouncil@vancouver.ca .

In the coming months we'll be ramping up our efforts once again, as the next round of public hearings approaches. It's my greatest hope that we can count on your support once again. With cities across North America making major strides on the world soccer scene, it's more important than ever that we get the stadium built. This is soccer's time to shine in our country and it's your efforts that will make it happen.

Yours in Sport,

Bill Currie

Friends of Soccer

Council Votes Unanimously to Move Revised Stadium Site Forward!

Once again, Vancouver City Council has voted unanimously to proceed with the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium. After listening to 15 speakers, which included presentations from the Whitecaps, Friends of Soccer and Stadium Now!, Council made the decision to adapt the latest City Staff report and to begin a new round of public consultation. If all goes well, the city could send the stadium project to a formal rezoning process by June, and construction could be completed in time for the 2010 Olympics.

During the council session, the handful of stadium opponents mostly rehashed issues that were addressed in the previous hearings. However, City Council raised concerns about the effects the revised waterfront stadium site would have on the Seabus Terminal, as well as the need for the Whitecaps and the Port to reach agreement with federal government agencies. These are among the issues that will be addressed in the upcoming Open Houses and Public Hearings.

As the stadium moves a step closer, your support becomes even more important. Council mentioned more than once the broad public support the stadium project has received, and it's because the Citizens of Vancouver and the Lower Mainland have stepped up to the plate to let them know. To find out more on how you can support the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium, visit www.friendsofsoccer.org

Friends of Soccer's Presentation to City Council

Here are the remarks made to Council on behalf of Friends of Soccer on February 1.

Good afternoon,

I'm Bill Currie and I'm here on behalf of the thousands of Citizens who support the Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium and let you know through the Friends of Soccer movement.

I'd like to begin by thanking City Staff, Councill and the Whitecaps for working so hard to bring the stadium proposal to this stage. It goes to show what can happen when we focus on what's possible and not on what's negative or difficult.

I want to help alleviate the concerns mentioned by one of the previous speakers on the fairness of the process and the applicant providing the funds. As we all know the Whitecaps were required to pay for the previous round of public hearings run by the City. And the City Staff report that came of it shows that the Whitecaps truly listened and consulted with the community to find solutions. There were concerns about how the stadium would fit with Gastown...the Whitecaps listened and moved it farther away. There were concerns about the stadium being built over railroad tracks...the Whitecaps listened and now it's on the Waterfront. Council instructed the Whitecaps to reach a deal with The Port of Vancouver. They've been successful in working with the Port as well as their neighbours. Throughout the process, the Whitecaps have been open and willing to listen to anyone with concerns. And they've told us that will continue.

We're also gratified to see that the report states that there is no further need to search for alternate sites. This is already the 5th site considered by the Whitecaps, and we believe it is by far the best. Besides the iconic views, which has been mentioned several times, it's unprecedented access to every mode of public transit makes it one of the most environmentally friendly stadiums in the world.

In the last round of public consultation, the Citizens of Vancouver gave you a definitive mandate to move ahead with the waterfront stadium project without any further delays. And that still holds today. Every public consultation City Hall has done on the issue shows overwhelming support among citizens. You already know that there are scores of community groups and sports organizations that want to see this happen. Downtown and Chinatown BIA's support the project. Tourism Vancouver, the Vancouver Board of Trade....the list goes on and on and on.

This process began because 4 years ago the mayor at the time identified the need for a mid-sized stadium to host soccer, rugby and community events. We needed it then...and we still need one now regardless of what happens to our other downtown venue. In the 4 years we've talked about this, Soccer Specific Stadiums have been planned, zoned, and constructed in Los Angeles, Chicago, New Jersey, Charleston, Rochester, Atlanta, Dallas, Washington and Toronto. They are in the planning stages in at least 3 other North American cities, including Montreal. So, every day we go without one is a lost opportunity for our sports, but more importantly our city.

Just on the soccer front, In the last three years alone Vancouver has missed out on North American tours by Manchester United, Celtic, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. In 2005, we had to travel to Seattle to watch Canada's "home" games in the CONCACAF Gold Cup (North America's equivalent to the European Championships). This July, Swangard will only be able to host preliminary games of the U-20 World Cup. Not the Semi-Final or the Final. The Rugby and Tennis community can also tell you of the international events they would like to hold if they had a proper stadium. Any one of these events puts Vancouver on a global stage comparable to the Winter Olympics.

Fortunately, there are even bigger opportunities on the horizon. That's why we need to stay focussed on having the stadium built in time for 2010. Beyond the Olympics, a new stadium will open the door for the Whitecaps to join Major League Soccer if that's the road they want to choose. On an even larger scale, the new stadium will strengthen Canada's bid for the 2011 Women's World Cup and no place would be more appropriate to hold the final than Vancouver.

So let's keep moving forward. Let's continue to work together to find solutions and solve issues. Thank you.

Archived